Warning to all chameleon owners

tkalawart

Recentley my cham was looking a little sick. I had posted that he was sleeping during the day and his eyes were slightly sunken. I went to the vet to find he didnt have parasites but perhaps a virus or that he may have not been drinking often enough. They suggested I use a small syringe and hand feed him water. I did but I must have given him a little too much or he breathed it in instead of swallowed it. He showed dark spots on both sides of his body where his lungs are and died soon after. I cant describe how awful I feel about doing this. He was the most amazing chameleon I ever saw and I just want to warn everyone not to hand hand feed their chams water. R.I.P FLEX.

:(

I am very sorry this has happened to you.

You are correct, it is very easy for them to aspirate on forced liquids.

Liquids should be given in very small amounts at a time.

It is a good idea to hold the chameleon where it is facing down as well, and apply only a drop or two in the very front of their mouth.

Im so sorry man. You didnt do it on purpose, so try not to be to hard on yourself.

I think its great you have shared your experience, so that others may learn, and not make the same mistake.

RIP Flex...

I'm so sorry you lost your chameleon.
Giving water like that can be tricky, because their airway isn't where you think it would be (at the back of the throat) so knowing where to aim the water in can be challenging for someone who wasn't shown how to do it. I am sorry your vet obviously didn't show you how to do it.

Next time, or for anyone needing to add more fluid in their diet, the easiest thing is to feed things like hornworms and to inject other feeders with just a few drops of water. You can get needles from pharmacies or your vet, and it's very easy to grab a feeder with tongs and inject a small amount of water into it. That way you know your chameleon is getting water every time it eats something. Otherwise, hornworms and long misting sessions are also a good way to get them hydrated.

It must be I guess, I think I have 20-something needles in my cham first aid kit that I've accumulated over the years lol I seem to be able to get them for just about anything. However, if you're at your vets and they recommend that you hydrate, you can always ask them for some syringes to inject feeders and such. I haven't had one yet that won't give me at least a couple.

I have given my chameleons water through syringes orally a large number of times if they seem dehydrated. I don't think that could of killed your chameleon. It seems more like the chameleon must of already been ill and or it has a respiratory infection so the animal maybe choked due to not being able to breathe good already.

I have given my chameleons water through syringes orally a large number of times if they seem dehydrated. I don't think that could of killed your chameleon. It seems more like the chameleon must of already been ill and or it has a respiratory infection so the animal maybe choked due to not being able to breathe good already.

Its very possible to have them aspirate on forced liquids.
From his description, it seems to me that this is likely what happened.

Really? Must be different in Florida because here in Cali you can't them unless you have a prescription for a Rx requiring them.

Yes your correct. I am a pharmacy tech in Ohio and you must have a written prescription to get needles now. Just another way of now supplying the crack heads needles these days.

Yes your correct. I am a pharmacy tech in Ohio and you must have a written prescription to get needles now. Just another way of now supplying the crack heads needles these days.

I would rather pay taxes for a crack heads needles than pay for him to be treated for aids... But I would rather neither and him just get better :D

Wow, I am going to watch this... I am just curious as to how large the syringe was... how far down the throat... and other facts like the chameleons size and stuff.

Yes, care should be taken!

Even with a small tuberculin syringe, and a small amount of fluid, the danger is still there.

You can shoot water pretty far with a syringe, and it only takes a little to do harm.

Yes, care should be taken!

Even with a small tuberculin syringe, and a small amount of fluid, the danger is still there.

You can shoot water pretty far with a syringe, and it only takes a little to do harm.

I am so happy I never harmed any of my chameleons. I would normally focus on when the breathed in and out best I could but this is going to up my awareness a lot. Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss, but think of this - you have educated a lot of other cham owners, myself included, so while you had to learn a lesson a most difficult way, you are also saving many other chams in the process. RIP Flex.

Michelle

I'm so sorry for your loss, but think of this - you have educated a lot of other cham owners, myself included, so while you had to learn a lesson a most difficult way, you are also saving many other chams in the process. RIP Flex.

Michelle

Michelle you are so right. It is a sad, hard lesson for the owner of any cham to have, but is it wonderful that tkalawart used the loss of his cham to help all of us.

Back
Top Bottom