Maybe A Silly Question But....

TommyTsunami88

How many crickets do you guys feed your chams at a time and when do you guys feed them? Sorry for a silly question but I am trying to learn ever niche of chameleon husbandry

How many crickets do you guys feed your chams at a time and when do you guys feed them? Sorry for a silly question but I am trying to learn ever niche of chameleon husbandry

also why am I hearing that people should avoid the reptisun 10.0? Ive seen warnings but no reasons or anything. Thats what I have currently and I have a pretty big enclosure the extra large zoo med reptibreeze. Any info concerning the 10.0 in addition to my questions above would be a huge help thanks

depends on the cham size and age...since you r getting a veiled juvie...try 8-12 1/2 in crix, ...but mix up the feeder insects...you would feed him everyday unitl he reaches almost a year old, then you feed him every other day about 5-8 1 inch crix:), try dubias, mantids, superworms, silkworms, hornworms, and flies...:cool:

also why am I hearing that people should avoid the reptisun 10.0? Ive seen warnings but no reasons or anything. Thats what I have currently and I have a pretty big enclosure the extra large zoo med reptibreeze. Any info concerning the 10.0 in addition to my questions above would be a huge help thanks

For chameleons the Reptisun UVB 5.0 is the most recommended.

People cup feed and let them free for the chameleon to hunt down. There are more but those are the most used I believe. I like to let the crickets free in the cage so my chameleons hunt and move around. all of mine are currently around 4 months, they eat around 10-15 small crickets per day. with supplementation and gutloading of course.

the thing with 10.0 is that it may give too much uvb than needed for the cham........and the 10.0 is used in free ranges and or VERy LARGE enclosures at least in cages that are minimum 24in x 24in x 48in cages , but usually bigger......

Definitely not a stupid question!!! It depends on the age of your cham and also the size of the crickets and feeders. Usually it's recommend that a cham should be allowed to eat as much as they want for the first 6mos or so and then start cutting back to every other day. Right now my 2.5 year old male Jackson's eats 2-3 large crickets per day so I feed him every day that he wants it but sometimes he won't eat for a day on his own. Some people with adult veileds and panthers might feed 5-6 large crickets every other day with additional feeder varieties substituted into their diet.

Some chams will pig out and gain weight if you feed them every day so it's good to cut back.

Babies will definitely eat more up to 10-12 crickets per day depending on size of cricket. If your feeding them 1/8" crickets but you're cham is ready to move up to 1/4" crickets. Your baby will eat less biger ones then a lot of little ones. Hope this helps :)

the thing with 10.0 is that it may give too much uvb than needed for the cham........and the 10.0 is used in free ranges and or VERy LARGE enclosures at least in cages that are minimum 24in x 24in x 48in cages , but usually bigger......

24X24X48 will be the size of the enclosure that I will be using after my cham gets a little bigger. So def 5.0? Will it fit into the reptisun 20 fixture?

24X24X48 will be the size of the enclosure that I will be using after my cham gets a little bigger. So def 5.0? Will it fit into the reptisun 20 fixture?

yeah , get the 5.0, and i think you get the 18 in for the 20 in fixture, but i think its better to get the 24 in 5.0 linear tube and bigger fixture, too provide more light in the cage.....JMO

My Jackson's free ranges 24/7 and I use a 10.0 UVB only because he roams all over the living room when he wants and when he is sitting on his plants he isn't always directly under the UVB light. He might be sitting on a corner plant where the UVB light still hits indirectly. But this is my opinion and what I do and it has worked well for me. Some people that free range still recommend a 5.0. But a 5.0 is definitely recommended for a cham that will be sitting under the UVB continuously other wise it will be too strong.

My Jackson's free ranges 24/7 and I use a 10.0 UVB only because he roams all over the living room when he wants and when he is sitting on his plants he isn't always directly under the UVB light. He might be sitting on a corner plant where the UVB light still hits indirectly. But this is my opinion and what I do and it has worked well for me. Some people that free range still recommend a 5.0. But a 5.0 is definitely recommended for a cham that will be sitting under the UVB continuously other wise it will be too strong.

so are you disagreeing or agreeing or adding to my statement???? im confused:p..lol

so are you disagreeing or agreeing or adding to my statement???? im confused:p..lol

I'm trying to confuse you...LOL! No I'm just kidding. I think I was probably writing while you were posting yours... So I didn't have a chance to read yours cause I was in the process of posting mine. But, I ended up agreeing with you because I also suggested that a 5.0 UVB should be used in a cage enclosure...but also explained the reason's why and also what the circumstances would be where someone might use a 10.0 UVB. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:):p:D

Back
Top Bottom