Marijuana and chameleons?

On this topic, I wonder if anyone used a poppy flower? I don’t know if it would have similar issues for reptiles as the marijuana plant. Maybe not since the active chemicals for poppy are different and located in the seeds, but I would think the best way to know for sure is if there are wild chameleons living in areas with wild plants and studying whether they willingly choose to climb on these plants or not.

Yeah thats a DEFINITE NO! not to mention rather pointless... don't you want your plant to grow and produce as much as possible? Well it's certainly not going to be able to do that with a cham climbing all over it!🤷‍♂️Not suitable for a chameleon to climb than it shouldn't be in the enclosure. It's not strong enough to hold their weight and of course the sticky crystals it produces is just nightmare in and of itself.

Thanks for the opinions guys! There must be somebody who tried this idea.. Lets say if its not for veiled. If its for the chameleons that dont eat leaves.. anyways if anybody tried this let me know I’m just curios dont know why. Saying again even if I wanted to do this I cant cuz its not legal. I know about the dogs and cats relationship with weed but I dont know about reptiles. I hope we find out somehow. It would really look cool if somebody had enclosure full of weed 😂
it´s bring brough up here before. Short answer no. Long answer you are gonna need to search for the threads here that tells why.

But they smoke weed so they must be cool jox. I had a brain tumor on my fingernail and smoking 3 blunts a day made it disappear.
As a fellow stoner I do not claim them lol also met them in person at a reptile show and man did they leave an impression. They are a local breeder near me and will never buy one of there over priced chameleons. They sold a fellow member on here a chameleon that has that back problem

As an ex stoner, I think it should absolutely be legal and recreational, but the trend that it's good for everything draws in a lot of stupidity. The medical industry is mostly run on BS, created so -already rich- people were able to obtain licenses to sell it before any common person. Now everyone is blowing weed smoke in their animal's faces and claiming it fixes every problem under the sun.

Sorry, little off topic lol.

This will be the result of growing weed in your chameleons enclosure or we see our friends after blowing some weed 🤔

B1C05B99-D21C-4807-807D-8464539A2128.jpeg

Chameleons don't have cannabinoid receptors
I found one source on Quora that made this claim, but it's not true.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6770351/
All animals, including vertebrates (mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish) and invertebrates (sea urchins, leeches, mussels, nematodes, and others) have been found to have endocannabinoid systems.
See also: cannabinoid receptors in reptiles (Google Scholar Search)

There has also been much discussion in the archives:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1034861/?q=cannabis+plants&o=relevance

Thanks for the opinions guys! There must be somebody who tried this idea..
I'm sure there are. I'm not sure how many would be willing to admit to it on social media.

Lets say if its not for veiled. If its for the chameleons that dont eat leaves..
I believe those species still taste things.

anyways if anybody tried this let me know I’m just curios dont know why. Saying again even if I wanted to do this I cant cuz its not legal.
When has (il)legality ever stopped anyone with regard to cannabis?

I know about the dogs and cats relationship with weed but I dont know about reptiles. I hope we find out somehow. It would really look cool if somebody had enclosure full of weed 😂
Right before they're hauled off to jail. Not for cannabis—more likely for animal abuse or something like that.

That's all this hobby needs is for some idjit to post a vid of their cham eating or tasting some cannabis, and then falling out of its tree. Even if it were faked, that person would likely be setting themselves up for a 💩-storm.

For the record, I'm in favor of legalization for informed consenting adult humans.

Last edited:
On this topic, I wonder if anyone used a poppy flower? I don’t know if it would have similar issues for reptiles as the marijuana plant. Maybe not since the active chemicals for poppy are different and located in the seeds, but I would think the best way to know for sure is if there are wild chameleons living in areas with wild plants and studying whether they willingly choose to climb on these plants or not.
Reptiles have opioid receptors as well as cannabinoid receptors.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&q=opioid+receptors+in+reptiles&btnG=

As an ex stoner, I think it should absolutely be legal and recreational, but the trend that it's good for everything draws in a lot of stupidity. The medical industry is mostly run on BS, created so -already rich- people were able to obtain licenses to sell it before any common person. Now everyone is blowing weed smoke in their animal's faces and claiming it fixes every problem under the sun.

Sorry, little off topic lol.

I dont dislike them because they smoke pot - I dislike them because they act like total DBs. I agree it should be legal and treated the same as alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom