Many problems with veiled chameleon

showimage.php

did you hit post reply and then click on the paper clip to the right of the white smily face? You can upload pics right there.

Correct Carol, however, with calcium injections and oral calcium glubionate, I have seen juvies come back from it. They will be deformed, but as long as kidneys were not compromised, they had a chance. Unfortunately that will be a vet visit...but post more pics and we'll see what we've got.

Well, hate to tell you but your chameleon definitely has MBD. You will be best to get her to a vet and see what can be done for her. So sorry.... Make sure you find a vet who knows about chameleons. that makes me so sad that someone would let an animal get in that condition. You should tell your friend what is going on and see if she will help you with some of the vet bills. And tell him/her the forum says shame on them.

i certainly will be taking her to a vet as soon as i find one that knows anything about chams. i will tell my friend that they are a terrible cham owner. i know it cant be cured but i at least hope i can stabilize it enough to save her

So good of you to take on this chameleon and all of its problems. I wish you the best of luck and hope she can recover somewhat. She will never be perfect but you can give her a better way of life. I hope if your friend ever decides to take on another pet of what ever kind she/he does their research first this time.

Absolutely MBD. The key is to stop the progression. Think of it as an older woman with thinning bones...calcium to stop bone loss and osteoporosis. Same idea. Is she able to grasp branches at this point? If she is able to do that and move around ok, then the vet should be able to give an immediate shot of calcium gluconate/lactate and give you an oral calcium glubionate (absorbs quickly in digestive tract) to halt the MBD progression. Nothing over the counter in pet stores is strong enough. After she is stable, if she pulls through (sad, but harsh reality) then she will be sort of a "handicapped cham" and as long as she is not in pain, could live a happier cham life in your care. I'm pulling for you on this one! And please keep us updated! :)

thank you for your support, unfortunately she is completely unable to grasp branches everytime she tried recently shes fallen. She's stopped trying at this point and just sits at the bottom of her cage in the shade of her plant. Does that mean that it is to late to treat her now?

Yes, please do. I had a horrible dream last night that I found a cham in a petstore that couldn't move b/c of mbd....thanks a lot...lol!:p

Back
Top Bottom