Many problems with veiled chameleon

lol sorry....so i have some very upsetting news about Mystique...i took her to the vets the morning. and she told be that she does deff have mbd and that it has progressed to far to be helped by treatment. =[ she said all i could do was keep her comfortable until she passes. :..(

lol sorry....so i have some very upsetting news about Mystique...i took her to the vets the morning. and she told be that she does deff have mbd and that it has progressed to far to be helped by treatment. =[ she said all i could do was keep her comfortable until she passes. :..(

SO sorry to hear that....Don’t give up yet though.:(

just sucks to hear that there really isnt anything i can do for her. but i'll love her for every minute that i can. <3

they said at this point it'd be usless because at her stage she's to weak to do anything, and both her back legs are deff broken. so even if they did give her the stuff to stop the progression she'd still likely die from being unable to move or eat.

...they did. i just really didnt want to do that. which i know is selfish. but im still hoping to improve her health on my own. she started to try and climb again today, and also managed to get her to eat a few bites of her pothos plant and a few mealworms. not great i know, but still an improvement.

First of all, I would try to find another vet who will help you. If you do try to help her and she doesn't recover well, she can still be put down later....but I would give her a chance. It would be best for her if you could find a vet who would give her some calcium injections and later on a shot of calcitonin when the blood calcium levels are high enough...but in the meantime....I would move her to a long low cage so that she can sit on the floor of it and still get the benefit of the UVB.

I would give her some liquid calcium gluconate or calcium sandoz and dust her food with phos.-free calcium with D3 a little more often for a little while to make sure she has enough D3 in her system to use the calcium but without overdoing it.

If she will eat on her own that would be the best option, but if not you'll need to hand feed her. Same for hydrating her....if she will do it on her own that will be best.

Good luck with it all...and keep us posted!

Last edited:
How is she doing today?

I agree on finding another vet. In reality, you are paying for a service and they should do everything in their power to help. I also agree with everything kinyonga said....

First of all, I would try to find another vet who will help you. If you do try to help her and she doesn't recover well, she can still be put down later....but I would give her a chance. It would be best for her if you could find a vet who would give her some calcium injections and later on a shot of calcitonin when the blood calcium levels are high enough...but in the meantime....I would move her to a long low cage so that she can sit on the floor of it and still get the benefit of the UVB.

I would give her some liquid calcium gluconate or calcium sandoz and dust her food with phos.-free calcium with D3 a little more often for a little while to make sure she has enough D3 in her system to use the calcium but without overdoing it.

If she will eat on her own that would be the best option, but not you'll need to hand feed her. Same for hydrating her....if she will do it on her own that will be best.

Good luck with it all...and keep us posted!

I would highly recommend you listen to kinyonga. She is one of the experts here that has been keeping and breeding veileds for way over 20 years.

so this morning i was getting ready to take Mystique to a different vet to hopefully get her help. But when i went to check on her...she had passed away.:( I know it was a long shot trying to save her, but i just cant believe she's gone. I miss her so much :..(

Back
Top Bottom