Manuka honey

KellyRose12

Established Member
So I’ve seen some videos of people dipping a worm in manuka honey and feeding it to their chameleon.

I just so happened to have some, and want to hear some opinions on doing so. Is this actually a beneficial thing to do? What about the sugar?

also, does it matter what brand?

Well I tagged her so hopefully she can help you out. :)
hellllo! ;) long time no see all of you!

Manuka is an amazing "must have" when you have a chameleon (well or any other animal! It will not magically cured everything when the problem is really serious and you always have to ask yourself.. if it was me.. would i go to the doctor of would i self care (well im from quebec so i want you to imagine if going to the dr dont mean ruining your wallet:p)?

HOney by itself have property (preventing wound to be infected by example) its easy to find loooottt of references on google scholar)

Manuka honey is special because manuka itself is consider a medicinal plants for variety of condition (but i never really read on that so i let people the pleasure to discover it.. honey is way more convenient and tasty :p)

i will follow a review about manuka honey, its a bit long but it show how usefull it can be

but bullet point :
- it can inhibate the proliferation or installation of wide spectrum of bacterial (go check table 1, its impressive),
-dont seem to create pharmacoresistant bacteria
-not effective against E. faecalis (but still reduced the % so adjuvant therapy can be considered?)
--too much things haha go read the paper!
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2016.00569/full

There still
few gaps in the litterature and will need more clinical trial, but so far i tested it myself and im happy about the results (and i tested it on myself and on animals.. clearly help with my own wounds and all my animals injured healed well.

small advise, all manuka honey are not equal! % of manuka is important and the more manuka you have usually the more expensive it will be!

https://www.manukadoctor.co.uk/blog...tor,antimicrobial (bacteria killing) strength.

Let me know if you have specifics interrogation

Just to add to the great info provided above^

Practically any health care worker knows honey's use for wound care. I believe it is a waste of money to feed off in comparison to regular honey. IDT there is any evidence that eating manuka honey has many/any special properties over regular. The good manuka honey is very pricey!

We used plain old honey in the bear or hive shaped bottles as a technique to clean infected wounds. We always used pasteurized honey because raw honey is known to contain botulinum spores (botulism) . In this case the osmotic properties of the honey is used to draw fluids and the infection out of the wound and into the bandages that are changed frequently.

These days manuka honey is used because of it's antibacterial qualities.
I have used plain honey to help reduced the swelling in a jackson with a temporal gland infection. He was also on oral antibiotics. You cannot rely on any topical application to treat it. It requires systemic antibiotics.

I would not intentionally feed large amounts of sugar in any form to an animal that is an insectivore. I would also hesitate to disrupt their normal bacterial flora with the antibiotic properties in manuks without a good reason.

hellllo! ;) long time no see all of you!

Manuka is an amazing "must have" when you have a chameleon (well or any other animal! It will not magically cured everything when the problem is really serious and you always have to ask yourself.. if it was me.. would i go to the doctor of would i self care (well im from quebec so i want you to imagine if going to the dr dont mean ruining your wallet:p)?

HOney by itself have property (preventing wound to be infected by example) its easy to find loooottt of references on google scholar)

Manuka honey is special because manuka itself is consider a medicinal plants for variety of condition (but i never really read on that so i let people the pleasure to discover it.. honey is way more convenient and tasty :p)

i will follow a review about manuka honey, its a bit long but it show how usefull it can be

but bullet point :
- it can inhibate the proliferation or installation of wide spectrum of bacterial (go check table 1, its impressive),
-dont seem to create pharmacoresistant bacteria
-not effective against E. faecalis (but still reduced the % so adjuvant therapy can be considered?)
--too much things haha go read the paper!
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2016.00569/full

There still
few gaps in the litterature and will need more clinical trial, but so far i tested it myself and im happy about the results (and i tested it on myself and on animals.. clearly help with my own wounds and all my animals injured healed well.

small advise, all manuka honey are not equal! % of manuka is important and the more manuka you have usually the more expensive it will be!

https://www.manukadoctor.co.uk/blogs/content/which-manuka-honey-should-i-buy#:~:text=The strength of Manuka Doctor,antimicrobial (bacteria killing) strength.

Let me know if you have specifics interrogation
Thank you!!

I would use organic be pollen fed to the feeders I use a cherry juice drop to stick some pollen to feeders but it wouldn't hurt to use 1 drop to moisten feeders for calcium powder as long as its organic and pure.IMO

It is a totally different use.... And you do not need to do all caps... Just an idea.
not gonna battle, I am here to help not argue, as I rescue chams for( free) and some times return them to those owners for free!!! sometimes people no longer wish to care for them..I have never made a dime!
It is a totally different use.... And you do not need to do all caps... Just an idea.
This should be private not on a thread Have u never bumped the cap lock accidentally, this kind of response only hurts the new person.. You are welcome to pm me privately
We all give our best opinions possible to try and help as best we can but no one can say for sure and things change all the time as we advance., it should never be a battle between us. We are all giving our free time to help.

not gonna battle, I am here to help not argue, as I rescue chams for( free) and some times return them to those owners for free!!! sometimes people no longer wish to care for them..I have never made a dime!

This should be private not on a thread Have u never bumped the cap lock accidentally, this kind of response only hurts the new person.. You are welcome to pm me privately
We all give our best opinions possible to try and help as best we can but no one can say for sure and things change all the time as we advance., it should never be a battle between us. We are all giving our free time to help.
Didn't realize we were battling... I have no need to PM you. This is not a who does more thing.

I happen to like when threads stay on topic especially when it is one of value like this one. If you do not know about something that a thread is on then not adding input or tagging those that do know about it is preferred so that the thread remains on topic and a valuable source of info for others.

Back
Top Bottom