Manual Misting or Misting System?

I use distilled water for my Mistking as well to avoid clogging up the nozzle since the spray is so fine, the holes are so incredibly tiny and the smallest amount of trace minerals in water can eventually clog up the nozzle. Distilled water can seriously prolong the life of these! Other people just use tap water but then take the nozzle off and soak them in a vinegar solution, but to me this would involve a lot of stress on my chameleon getting all up in his territory :p

Now that I've had time to actually read this one I see why @Decadancin tagged me, I think :confused:. Your "plant" lights need to be based on your plant selection with height of your cage taken into consideration. Like hibiscus will not make it with only 3 total bulbs on the cage. Pick your plant species you want to use, pick your cage then plan your lights :D.

Now that I've had time to actually read this one I see why @Decadancin tagged me, I think :confused:. Your "plant" lights need to be based on your plant selection with height of your cage taken into consideration. Like hibiscus will not make it with only 3 total bulbs on the cage. Pick your plant species you want to use, pick your cage then plan your lights :D.

You were tagged because there was mention of "lights"...who ya gonna tag...tag @dshuld!! Make you cage shine brighter than the sun! But there is truth and great knowledge of lights there...

You were tagged because there was mention of "lights"...who ya gonna tag...tag @dshuld!! Make you cage shine brighter than the sun! But there is truth and great knowledge of lights there...

:cool:, I was on the right train of thought :ROFLMAO:. I was doing some more reading today on another one of the clu048 series btw. The 1216 looks like a better fit for shorter cages (aka Lola's). May work ok with taller too but would need two to four of them for the coverage depending on plants used.

Worms... Silk worms are great, but this time of year you may only get eggs available. Easy to raise though. You can use superworms as part of the diet, but try to limit them. Hornworms are great, but get big very fast, so may not be ideal for a young chameleon.

UVB light - Go with T5 HO Arcadia linear tubes. They are definitely the best. They should last about a year so easily twice as long as the comparable alternatives. They are available from multiple sources here in the States. Reptile Basics http://www.reptilebasics.com/ , Pangea https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/ , LightYourReptiles http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ ...
How about an Arcadia D3 6%? Also, does the size of the light matter?

Now all I have left to figure out is how to measure humidity and temperature! Would a simple, external thermometer do? Oh, and should I buy a dripper or make my own?

Now all I have left to figure out is how to measure humidity and temperature! Would a simple, external thermometer do? Oh, and should I buy a dripper or make my own?
The digital electronic thermometer-hydrometer combos from the hardware store work wonders! It depends how handy you are. I say buy the dripper, it’s easier and probably around the same price

Yes- it’s either that or a probe thermometer to get your basking temp correct, temp gun is easier and more precise
You can also check temps in various places, other than 1 fixed place. Plus if you have a cat or weird dog, they make a great toy "follow the red light"...just don't shine in anyone's eye.

Hello, everyone. I am hoping to purchase a young, captive-bred male veiled chameleon sometime in November or potentially later (depending on when local breeders have chameleons available) and was wondering if it would be okay to manually mist using a spray bottle instead of using a misting system. This is because three days of the week, there won't be anyone in the house to do the misting until about three to four thirty in the afternoon as a result of school and my parents' work schedule. Two days, there would be someone at home but they are generally busy and may go on out-of-house errands regularly. Two more days (the weekend) should be pretty doable by hand as I have a lot of time then. I don't have a massive budget, by I also don't intend to breed or do anything too extreme with the chameleon so I should be able to get the necessary equipment. Nevertheless, it is still a greater price. So: mister, humidifier, dripper, spray bottle... What combination do you guys think would be best?
Hey your profile pic is a pic of my chameleon's sire, Driskel. Did you buy yours from the same breeder?

Hey your profile pic is a pic of my chameleon's sire, Driskel. Did you buy yours from the same breeder?
No, I considered FLchams and still wish that I could purchase from there but they don't have the permits to sell to Canada and if they did the effort plus money involved wouldn't make it worth it for anyone involved. That said, Driskel is one of the most beautiful chameleons that I have seen! Once I do get a chameleon of my own, I will probably change my profile to him, though.

No, I considered FLchams and still wish that I could purchase from there but they don't have the permits to sell to Canada and if they did the effort plus money involved wouldn't make it worth it for anyone involved. That said, Driskel is one of the most beautiful chameleons that I have seen! Once I do get a chameleon of my own, I will probably change my profile to him, though.
Oh I see. that's a bummer. Yeah I felt the same about Driskel so i had to buy one. Mine has mostly the same colors and patters except not so much blue. some turqoise is coming in but i'm doubtful Toruk will get the blues that Driskel has.

Okay, so I just seem to have more and more questions: Where would be a good source to buy small chameleon cage before I upgrade? What size should it be? Why is it necessary? Or, as a beginner, should I alter my specifications and start with an eight-month-old chameleon?

Okay, so I just seem to have more and more questions: Where would be a good source to buy small chameleon cage before I upgrade? What size should it be? Why is it necessary? Or, as a beginner, should I alter my specifications and start with an eight-month-old chameleon?
You can start off off your cham in his full grown cage. It depends how confident you are with your husbandry to not mess up your baby cham for the rest of his life.

Back
Top Bottom