Mantid Snack

This is my female melleri Lenny having a mantid snack later afternoon. She was a bit aprehensive about the prey.... but then suddenly took interest. Not much meat to a mantid... but it's a good mix up from the crickets, supers, silks, butters, horns.....

_MG_7194.jpg

_MG_7195.jpg

crunch

_MG_7196.jpg

_MG_7197.jpg

Chewing...

_MG_7198.jpg

_MG_7200.jpg

I cant wait til my mantids come out their egg case T_T .... I dont know the difference though.. mantid? mantis? I thought they were called mantis ? XD

Nice shots! Both from the camera and the mellers. My mellers in the past were huge fans of giant bird grasshoppers as well. They are tough to find however their are around in Socal.

The other day I fed off a very large stick bug to George, another melleri. She went right for the butt of the stick bug, like she'd had them before..... but not from me. She is WC... so maybe she had some experience before she came to the states.

I just had an ooth hatch, so I had to feed off the remaining mantis... sadly I only had three get to adult out of an entire ooth :( Didn't keep up with the food I guess so the king of the hill ate the rest. But here, we have karma, and the king was toppled with the swap of Henry's giant melleri tongue. :D

I cant wait til my mantids come out their egg case T_T .... I dont know the difference though.. mantid? mantis? I thought they were called mantis ? XD

Mantis is a bit more like a plural and mantid is the more historical name to call them by. But either way mantid=mantis, mantis=mantid, same thing

Amazing shots!!
A bit sad it's a mantid as I own one and she's one of the coolest and best thing I've owned, but hey, It's the circle of life!

Keep an eye out for Schistocerca nitens they are an awesome chameleon meal. The females can be the size of a pinky mouse. I have found them in the San Diego area.

Back
Top Bottom