Male Panther won't do the deed

ChromaChameleons

Have any of you had problems with a lazy male Panther. I have one that is about 14 months old. He had no issue chasing receptive females until recently. Now he just ignores them.

Any tips on how to start a fire in his belly??

On a serious note, try pairing them up in a tree, free ranging in a room. I had a problem with one of mine and I left them in the tree for a while, and eventually he started bobbing at her.

I've heard pardalis are notorious for this. Some CB's simply will not mate.

With my deremensis, there was a need to make them fight. i had to get the males riled up before they'd notice the girls. Usually took 2 weeks of harassment. Using a mirror usually worked, but another male worked better. Introduce the male, see what happens. If the male ignores the intruder, have to try again later. Usually, they'd act shy, and submissive. Then I remove th eothe rmale - as if he was chased away. A few times like this, and the male will become defensive, and stand his ground. They'll even become downright aggressive. I di dthis a few years ago, an dthe male that was shy just a week or two earlier charged so fast I had to pull the other male away fast - and I got stabbed in the process!

i tried this with deremensis 3 or 4 times. in all cases, the males began courting the females within a week of their "expulsion ' of the intruder.

You might want to try somethign like this - make them go a little hungry, a little dry, and a little cool for a few weeks. then shower them, warm them up and feed them like crazy. Veileds, which can mate year round, respond to this very well.

I got no experience with panthers, so listen to those that do!

Are your chameleons visually separated?
They are more receptive if they are in complete absence of one another and then are re-introduced.

Ya, thanks. This Ambilobe male was superstud a few weeks ago. Now its like someone flipped his switch.

I'm very familiar with this behaviour in some of my Nosy's , but this boy is a surprise.

I'll try some of the tricks and be patient.

Even though I love Pastrami, if I ate it everyday I might eventually get sick of it. If this male has been breeding his brains out the last few weeks he just might need some R&R to get the juices flowing again. Leave him alone for a month+ is my advice. He'll breed when he's ready, provided he is healthy. Plus, he'll be a more potent egg fertilizer!

No Matt.. its not a mileage issue on his bits and pieces. He is mated regularly to 2 females. Its not excessive exposure to the ladies. My reference to weeks , did mean more than one.

How often has he bred over the last two months? Age? I'd say if you've been pairing him up with 2 females he might very well need time off. Not that his equipment needs a rest but because he isn't interested. Provided he is healthy, I'm willing to bet if you leave him alone for a few weeks up to a month and don't show him females, when you do he'll be a machine again.

Back
Top Bottom