Male Panther not fond of crickets...

SKnaak

Spoiled with meal worms. I know they can like them better (probably taste better lol). So... should I hold off on the meal worms and kinda force him to eat more crickets? I know he seems like when I give him meal worms he goes crazy for those like he is really hungry.
Crickets just sit in the cage, seems like all day.
Sam

If he's older you can wait a couple days to make sure he is hungry, and then try crickets again. I would not do this with a baby though. With mine (they dont care for crickets either, it sometimes works, sometimes doesnt, depends on how hungry they are) and, you should really switch the meal worms out for at least super worms. Meal worms do not make a good staple. And of course you can try dubias or other roaches instead of crickets, they make a good base food insect :)

If he's older you can wait a couple days to make sure he is hungry, and then try crickets again. I would not do this with a baby though. With mine (they dont care for crickets either, it sometimes works, sometimes doesnt, depends on how hungry they are) and, you should really switch the meal worms out for at least super worms. Meal worms do not make a good staple. And of course you can try dubias or other roaches instead of crickets, they make a good base food insect :)
Maybe mine are super worms. I got them from Rainbow Mealworm here in So Cal. What makes worms 'super' lol... And he's 7 months old.
thanks for the advice!

Maybe mine are super worms. I got them from Rainbow Mealworm here in So Cal. What makes worms 'super' lol... And he's 7 months old.
thanks for the advice!
Definitely cut out mealworms. Supers should be used as treats or to add variety to the diet. They’re bigger than mealworms. Silkworms, butterworms, hornworms, snails, stick insects, mantids, painted lady butterflies, bsf and bsfl, and multiple types of roaches (orange-headed, ivory-headed, red runners, green banana, and dubia roaches, etc) are all excellent feeders!

thanks for the advice!

Rainbow Mealworm sells both... Mealworms are not much bigger than 1/2 inch (unless it's a Giant Mealworm). Superworms are a couple inches or so. They have less chitin and more protein, which makes them much more ideal :) For a youngster like yours, I personally wouldn't do the hunger strike method (which could be multiple days, mine will go a week when really stubborn and I've heard of longer) as of yet, but definitely skipping a day and then trying again might be worth a try if you have the crickets around. It may be easier to try new feeders though. A variety of feeders are fun for you and the Cham! And you may find he likes something even more than meal worms! If you have access to silk worms, those are super nutritous and are a winner with chams who have decided they are on a worm only streak :)

If you look on the panther care sheet here, it gives some ideas for feeders, how much to feed, and when to feed. Just remember: NEVER FEED MEALWORMS and superworms only occasionally or as a treat, NOT A STAPLE!!! Also, a cham his age should only be fed every other day anyway. To break a hunger strike, add variety, and if that doesn’t work, try about 3 days without food
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Back
Top Bottom