Male and female

johnandlyn

Hi all just a quick question can u put a male and female yemen together in tje same encloser? if so what ages would they have to be?thanks john

Chameleons are solitarty and territorial-especially Yemens. They only come together in the wild for mating and then go their separate ways. To keep them together in one cage is forcing them to be together, stressing them out and potentially causing stress related health issues. Additionally, males will continually try to mate with the females again causing stress. Then, when the female goes to lay, she will be stressed and potentially become eggbound by the males presence. If the female is young, she will breed too young, and producing eggs robs the female of calcium for growing bones. Do you need more reasons than this?

No thats exellent thank u so they would have to have seperate enclosures then?if so would they need to be in different rooms incase they see each other?thanks john
Chameleons are solitarty and territorial-especially Yemens. They only come together in the wild for mating and then go their separate ways. To keep them together in one cage is forcing them to be together, stressing them out and potentially causing stress related health issues. Additionally, males will continually try to mate with the females again causing stress. Then, when the female goes to lay, she will be stressed and potentially become eggbound by the males presence. If the female is young, she will breed too young, and producing eggs robs the female of calcium for growing bones. Do you need more reasons than this?

No need for separate rooms-I use visual barriers between the cages. You can hot glue black plastic to the cage sides, or put pieces of hard plastic between the cages-anything that is waterproof. I even use towels.

That sounds like a good idea iv got a exo terri 36 encloser so i could get a bigger one and spilt it in half what do you think?or have you got any ideas for me?thanks
No need for separate rooms-I use visual barriers between the cages. You can hot glue black plastic to the cage sides, or put pieces of hard plastic between the cages-anything that is waterproof. I even use towels.

My local rep shop has told me a male and female pairing would be fine :(

He has two of his own together

Who are you going to believe? A pet shop, who SELLS them for a living, or all of us who spend money keeping them because we love them? If you chose the pet shop, please don't tell me when your chams die.:confused:

I think he maybe wrong this is the troble no one can seem to give a 100%answer and i want whats best for my cham anymore advice anyone?

Its got to be you guys thats why i thought id ask the question i think i will get a bigger encloser and split it into two
Who are you going to believe? A pet shop, who SELLS them for a living, or all of us who spend money keeping them because we love them? If you chose the pet shop, please don't tell me when your chams die.:confused:

Oooo sorry, that was a bit harsh!

I didnt say i had two... just said what i was told!

Compasion much?! What if i'd found this place after getting two? Heartless comment

I dont think it was ment harsh mate its just all we want is our chams to be happy and heathly thank you for your comment tho john
Oooo sorry, that was a bit harsh!

I didnt say i had two... just said what i was told!

Compasion much?! What if i'd found this place after getting two? Heartless comment

Yeah, understood :)

I guess it just hit a nerve, bit of a stressy day... anyways

The health and happiness of the animals is definately top priority, or we really wouldnt get into keeping them

Good luck with your new addition if you do decide on getting one :D

Hay we all have bad days ha ha im not sure what to do as yet thanks again
Yeah, understood :)

I guess it just hit a nerve, bit of a stressy day... anyways

The health and happiness of the animals is definately top priority, or we really wouldnt get into keeping them

Good luck with your new addition if you do decide on getting one :D

Back
Top Bottom