Female Chameleons as pets

naterowley

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Male chameleons seem to be more popular for their color, do the females have any behavioral differences in terms of activity around the enclosure or anything like that? Those who keep both males and females forgetting color, are either more rewarding to keep? I understand there is cycling and laying with females and that is a behavioral difference that takes extra prep. Just curious :)

The question is open to all species, I specifically have a male panther (not super interested in breeding at this time) so that's a bonus if you keep panthers and have experience with that

Thanks!

As far as behavior differences the only difference in my opinion/experience is just the egg laying and eating the plants. I have veileds and their temperaments overall can vary. My female is the most aggressive out of my 4 (3 males, 1 female). She has been hand raised from an egg and has always been feisty. My husband would say she is my favorite though lol! She eats the most plant matter out of all my chams. I would say in my opinion that is a downside, plants aren’t cheap so you would have to keep some on rotation.

Hi everyone,

Male chameleons seem to be more popular for their color, do the females have any behavioral differences in terms of activity around the enclosure or anything like that? Those who keep both males and females forgetting color, are either more rewarding to keep? I understand there is cycling and laying with females and that is a behavioral difference that takes extra prep. Just curious :)

The question is open to all species, I specifically have a male panther (not super interested in breeding at this time) so that's a bonus if you keep panthers and have experience with that

Thanks!
I’ve found that my males have always been more active. They do their regular enclosure patrols at least once a day if not more. I put both of my females in their own double sized enclosure and for a while they seemed not to know how to use the space. Now I do find that they spend almost equal time on each side. My panther girl spends a large amount of time hunting for isopods in her bioactive enclosure. My veiled girl instead hunts which of her plants is tastiest.
My panther girl is just as sweet as my male panthers. My veiled girl is especially fierce, even compared to my previous veiled girl. She will attempt first to strike and eat my hand and once she realized it isn’t food, she goes for biting. My previous male veiled was shy and would run away before hissing. My current male veiled started out super sweet because he was sick. As he’s recovered fully he’s now feisty.

I’ve only had a female veiled so far and she is absolutely lovely. I agree with the above, my girl isn’t as active as my two boys, however I’d say she is a bit more outgoing than my boys are. I love seeing her colors change as she becomes receptive. The egg laying process although stressful when new to it is also equally fascinating.

10/10 I would recommend.

I agree with what has been said so far. Luckily my girls ain’t plant eaters and your husbandry is spot on, the egg laying shouldn’t be a problem. Yes, the first time(s) it may be stressful, but it’s also rewarding. I love it when they start to get receptive and they cyclus repeats. At the end I’m always proud, proud their beautiful achievement.
Regarding panthers, they maybe less colorful as males, but you get such beautiful pink dinosaur in return

IMG_5848.jpeg

I love my girls. They are so sweet, in my opinion, girls tend to be "nicer" even eager to get out. But it really varies, cham to cham. All mine are panthers. Yes they definitely change personality when they are gravid, but then again who doesn't 🤣 the egg laying process, isn't too difficult, as long as you have proper laybin, keep temp on the lower side, and limit food, clutches stay smaller n no big deal for her to lay. Your in the right place for advise. This forum is absolutely wonderful and trustworthy. Some of the most experienced caretakers are here, always willing to assist.
Kudos for considering the girls, u won't be disappointed. There is a huge difference between panthers and veiled females, the veiled seem to have more attitude and not interested in a physical relationship, lol.

Back
Top Bottom