Making bug chow tomorrow

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
Im making roach and grain eating insect chow tomorrow. Mealworms, superworms, roaches, isopods, crickets, and I am sure a few others will nibble at this stuff and I am so glad to have it back in the rotation. Dry chow is just as useful when its made right as healthy fruits or veggies. However the insects cannot live without a water source. I definitely recommend fruits and veg over dry chow if you only can have one.

I am making close to 6 lbs, maybe 8 of this stuff. I think i will only need 3-5. Might freeze the extra for long term storage in vacuum seal bags. I only feed about 1-2 tablespoons of it to small to medium colonies a day, or an 1/8th of a cup to larger colonies.

This is something I’m needing in my life! I tried the blender method with the gut loading recipe and freezing in ice cube trays. I’ve noticed that mold sprouts up faster than they can eat it and I’m wasting. Any tips you’d care to share?

Dont have proportions yet

Alfalfa
Bee pollen
Flax meal
Sunflower seed meal
Almond meal
Pumpkin seed meal
Hemp seed meal
Chia meal
Ground carrots
Ground kale
Small amounts of ground corn (sweet) and broccoli
Ground elderberries
Ground blueberries
Ground zuchinni
Maca powder
Spelt sprout powder
Ground papaya
Spirulina
Mulberry leaf powder
5 other dried/freeze greens
Brewer's yeast

This is what it currently is. I tend to switch a few of the vegetables, fruits, and greens every 10 lbs or so. I spend about 200.00 or so on a batch (10lbs of food)

I do sell the excess i make but likely wont for another.... few months as i figure out ratios and percentages. I aim for 10-12% plant protein which targets most species needs of protein but also rides the safety zone of not too much especially since most of the amino acid chains are incomplete

17 oz bagged up, another 4 portions to go, successfully made bug chow.

Attachments

• bug chow.jpg
    bug chow.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 89
This is something I’m needing in my life! I tried the blender method with the gut loading recipe and freezing in ice cube trays. I’ve noticed that mold sprouts up faster than they can eat it and I’m wasting. Any tips you’d care to share?
Isopod food for sure

Almond meal provides protein and almonds have good omega balance and high polyunsaturated fats. They are high in vit e and also are a good source of manganese and magnesium.

Broccoli is one ofnthe vegetables i rotate regularly in and out of this gutload. I am not someone who avoids oxalates but just provides a varied and rounded diet because if you do that and then dust your feeders you wont have issues with calcium binding and instead have more variety to choose from. I do the same with my tortoise.

Broccoli is high in a lot of b vitamins and also has a lot of necessary minerals that are important for all vasic life. Usually i rotate broccoli out for collards, beet greens, spinach, dandelion greens, bok choy, spring mix, herbs, carrot tops, micro greens and sprouts etc etc. All of which will be slow dried at my house in my dehydrators and incooperated in batches once i get my plants growing.

I’d buy some from you if you ever make enough to sell again. It sounds like really good stuff. I tried the frozen route but it just molds too fast.
I've got an extra 17oz from this batch that i wont be able to use so your welcome to pm me.

Almond meal provides protein and almonds have good omega balance and high polyunsaturated fats. They are high in vit e and also are a good source of manganese and magnesium.

Broccoli is one ofnthe vegetables i rotate regularly in and out of this gutload. I am not someone who avoids oxalates but just provides a varied and rounded diet because if you do that and then dust your feeders you wont have issues with calcium binding and instead have more variety to choose from. I do the same with my tortoise.

Broccoli is high in a lot of b vitamins and also has a lot of necessary minerals that are important for all vasic life. Usually i rotate broccoli out for collards, beet greens, spinach, dandelion greens, bok choy, spring mix, herbs, carrot tops, micro greens and sprouts etc etc. All of which will be slow dried at my house in my dehydrators and incooperated in batches once i get my plants growing.
I was just wondering because people avoid almonds because of the cyanide, even though it's a small amount

I was just wondering because people avoid almonds because of the cyanide, even though it's a small amount
Cyanide is only truly a problem in bitter almonds which can give you cyanide poisoning. I only use 1 cup of almond meal in this. And since its sweet almonds its not enough to become even close to an issue. (Ive had to research almonds due to rodent food)

My two big colonies, and big eater, finished off their bowls of food for the most part. There is a small amount in the Roth's burrower bowl still but its only enough for one or two roaches. The hissers ate maybe a quarter of theirs. But im not surprised. They are a smaller colony but also dainty eaters. So im reducing theirs by half the amount

Back
Top Bottom