Magnetic rock ledge feeder cup

I used a Costco milk jug and cut 1/4 off of the top and I'm sculpting styrofoam around it to resemble a rock ledge! It will be a nice addition to the cage, it's actually large enough for my eldest to stand on. I will add grout after the sculpture is complete, then i will seal it with non toxic aquarium scilicone. The inside will just be the Costco milk jug with some sealant so it is easy to clean.

So far it's just the base, i still need to carve the shape I want into the layers as well as add the rest to the bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 350
Wow that's really creative and once painted that will look awesome! I think I'm going to steal your idea for my Cham too!:)

Just make sure you make a deep enough one. If you use a Costco milk jug 2/3 to 3/4 of the milk jug will do. I used sewing pins to ensure each layer stays together. They are between each layer, not poking into the jug so the Cham doesn't get hurt. I only did 3 out of four sides since it is pointless for the back to he done and that way I can just put one set of magnets on the plastic side and the others out side of the screen cage.

Awesome :) my Cham doesn't eat from the feeder bowl often probably because it looks so unnatural but if it looks like that she would be eating all day :) how do you secure the jug to the styro?

I used a non toxic glue, then took push pins and secured the styrofoam to the jug so the points are sticking out away from the inside of the bowl. I can barely even see them, they have a flat top so it stays flush. Once everything is together and grouted I won't need the pins in there because it will hold its self together but it allows me to work while the glues drying

It attaches to the side of the cage with a magnet? Won't the grout covering make it very heavy to be supported by a magnet.. or are you going to have some hanging hooks

No it won't be to heavy. The grout is more for texture them anything so it will be a light coating. The back side is very thin plastic so the magnet doesn't have to much of a barrier- they are also very strong magnets from Home Depot.

No unfortunately I've been feel pretty sick the last week so Im not finished. But hopefully in a few days I can finish it

Thank you!
My next project is going to be branches. I'm going to fab them out of styrofoam, the styrofoam will be glued to a dowel, then I will slightly paper mâché it to give it a good texture and realistic look, lastly I will paint it and waterproof them with aquarium grade scilicone. :)

This will inexpensive branch that will last forever and since it is lighter it's easy to hang with just one zip tie or I can even make a wire coming out of the end (wrapped in the green plant tape so it is harmless) and from there wrap it around another branch or the bamboo fence i have on the back of my veileds enclosure, making it versatile and easy to remove when it needs to be cleaned

It kind of reminds me of the Pet Tech Magnaturals. I have been looking at them to put some extra hanging plants in my cage for Nimh.

http://www.pet-tech.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=28&Itemid=111

I swear by the magnaturals. They are really great for holding plants and encourage you to try them. Olivia's project is a great idea. Olivia when you work on yours, you may want to make them large enough to hold a 4" or 6" pot if you make them for plants instead of feeding stations.

The longer you keep multiple habitats the more you can appreciate modularity.

That's where the idea spawned, I just wanted to make my own because I wanted a deeper feeder cup. I also like the plant pots. I have a few hanging plants in my enclosure that are Zip tied to my bamboo fence

I swear by the magnaturals. They are really great for holding plants and encourage you to try them. Olivia's project is a great idea. Olivia when you work on yours, you may want to make them large enough to hold a 4" or 6" pot if you make them for plants instead of feeding stations.

The longer you keep multiple habitats the more you can appreciate modularity.

I don't like the unnatural look for plastic feeder cups so I basically decorated mine. They are for worms not crickets, I let his crickets loose in the enclosure for him to hunt but there isn't a proper cup for worms and he refuses to hand feed. He looks at me like I'm crazy if I even try. I've had him since he was a baby and he never took to it

I am going to try this myself. I'm going to be using the pink Styrofoam for the part to shape. We have a bunch of super strong magnets from old computer hard drives at work so I will be using those. Each one can hold at least 50 pounds so I think they will be strong enough for a chameleon. I will be making them to hold a 4" pot, but the difference between mine and the Magnaturals will be that mine can allow water to drain through it.

Back
Top Bottom