Madagascar Jasmin, the perfect living vine

Sonny13

Chameleon Enthusiast
Till now I’ve seen lots of enclosure builds with live plants, however don’t see the Madagascar Jasmin that often. While the results with them are great for an arboreal enclosure. My Cham loves it and made it its sleeping spot directly from the beginning.

Normally you buy it like this, see picture, and thats properly why many don’t look at it. However it’s one branch of almost 70” in length, when you fully disentangle it from its frame. Making it the perfect alternative as living vine with leaves, which can fill your enclosure in now time for a few bucks. You can let it travel through your whole enclosure, due its flexible stalk. When the are perfect, will even get those beautiful white flower throughout your enclosure.

Hopefully more people will discover the versatile beauty of the Madagascar Jasmin.

A1475130-1E02-433A-B0BD-3072EDC83614.jpeg

Used in its full glory.

3530F5C5-7306-42E1-8E22-1D936B500961.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've never seen nor heard of it.
Have you been able to verify that it's chameleon-safe?
It’s called stephanotis floribundas. I’ve found some resources. one Dutch where it‘s on the safe list http://www.de-kvn.nl/sites/default/files/dekvn-plantenlijst.pdf
99D3FC5B-1DC6-40B3-87F7-DA7025B8701F.png

And one German site, where it‘s claimed it could be poisonous, however zero conformed incidents. And read this on several other mediums. https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/

FB7F264B-6353-45F9-A72B-96DFDC203055.png

fwiw - passionflower vine is said to be toxic and still ok the safe lists. Good to be informed and make your own decisions... some levels of toxicity vary between plants - so toxic could be a mild belly ache or certain death. Looking them up will give you an indication of which.

fwiw - passionflower vine is said to be toxic and still ok the safe lists. Good to be informed and make your own decisions... some levels of toxicity vary between plants - so toxic could be a mild belly ache or certain death. Looking them up will give you an indication of which.
Yeah... Golden Pothos [Epipremnum aureum] is on Reptiles Magazine's List of Plants That Can Be Toxic To Reptiles, yet listed in another article as one good for a reptile vivarium. From discussions here, again, allegedly no documented poisonings. 🤷‍♂️

What's a chamother to do? :unsure:

Hmmm... Now that I look at that first pic again (the one in the vase), the leaves are somewhat reminiscent of Ficus elastica.

Funny... it doesn't look 15 ft. tall. :rolleyes:

Hard to believe with a name like 'Madagascar-jasmin' that it's not chameleon safe :)

Just because it grows in Madagascar makes it safe, but also doesn’t mean a chameleon doesn’t recognize that.

My point was many “toxic” plants may cause no more than a tummy ache - and many of us use them anyway (i.e. passiflora, pothos, philodendron, etc)

Is this something that is ever available at the big box stores?
The offerings on Etsy are small.... and pricey

Just because it grows in Madagascar makes it safe,
How does that follow? :unsure: Poison Ivy grows in the woods behind my house, and still affects the wildlife that lives in the trees overhead.

but also doesn’t mean a chameleon doesn’t recognize that.
It's just past midnight, and I'm having trouble understanding the double negative. 🤷‍♂️

My point was many “toxic” plants may cause no more than a tummy ache - and many of us use them anyway (i.e. passiflora, pothos, philodendron, etc)
I got that; I was agreeing, adding another example. :)

Oops: "Average Size at Maturity - stems reach 15 ft. long." It is beautiful though.
Yeah and the Cham loves it, because of the thickness of the stem, its her ”sleeping vine”. And you can fill your enclosure with tons of natural looking horizontal and vertical vines with one single plant.

Just because it grows in Madagascar makes it safe, but also doesn’t mean a chameleon doesn’t recognize that.

The biggest concern you’ll have with the Madagascar jasmine is space. Outdoors, you’ll need to use a trellis or stakes to keep it upright. You should also provide shelter to protect it from strong winds. It should play nice with other plants in your garden or home. And it is safe in a home with pets. While some plants in this family are poisonous, the Madagascar is not toxic to pets.

https://properlyrooted.com/madagascar-jasmine/

You can find some information regarding its poisonous.

7E1A9CA2-415C-416D-B782-36B6A243C6C2.jpeg

Aeschynanthus Longicaulis is another great vine. It’s a fast growing plant and dose well in our enclosures if they get sufficient light. They don’t mind all the water as long as they are not soggy/water longed. You can find them online for about $15-$30 they also have gorgeous blooms if given the right growing conditions.​

the jasmine is a great plant it grows more on the slow side. They have gorgeous flowers and have a thick Woody stem which makes them whichWoody stem which makes them great for chameleons to Clement because they’re tougher.

At has an steel wire inside, and it’s wrapped around the wire for at least 3-4 times. It really amazed me when I entangled it, didn’t expect to be that long 😲
In that little pot? Wow, I was joking before, but that is amazing. Impressed.

FWIW, I'm doing the same thing with Wandering Jew, a Philodendron, and a Golden Pothos (though right now he's sleeping at the top of a Ficus benjamina). All three are training up an egg crate trellis on the back wall, and winding around & through the "branches" & other plants.

I do like the look of that Jasmine, though, and being native to Madagascar is only a plus.
Hoping it's safe!

Back
Top Bottom