Madagascar Jasmin, the perfect living vine

View attachment 294907

Aeschynanthus Longicaulis is another great vine. It’s a fast growing plant and dose well in our enclosures if they get sufficient light. They don’t mind all the water as long as they are not soggy/water longed. You can find them online for about $15-$30 they also have gorgeous blooms if given the right growing conditions.​

Source? I'm finding 3 different common names:

Zebra Basket Vine​
Lipstick Plant (whole genus of ~150 species)​
Black Pagoda​

That was a TYPO! I hate wearing my glasses and so my proof reading isn’t great.

That should have read:
“Just because it grows in Madagascar DOES NOT make it safe.”

By the time I caught it, I could no longer edit the post.
I hear that! 🤓 Never needed the damn things 'til I was 50, and that was just for reading. Now I need computer glasses and haven't gotten them yet (COVID).

Thanks for the correction. :)

They cost here around $10,00 and you find them everywhere, even in the supermarkets.
Is that Euros? I see you're in The Netherlands.
Here (US) I just saw one online for $30 +shipping, and several places out of them.
I don't think they're as common here, but it's on my list.

View attachment 294907

Aeschynanthus Longicaulis is another great vine. It’s a fast growing plant and dose well in our enclosures if they get sufficient light. They don’t mind all the water as long as they are not soggy/water longed. You can find them online for about $15-$30 they also have gorgeous blooms if given the right growing conditions.​

the jasmine is a great plant it grows more on the slow side. They have gorgeous flowers and have a thick Woody stem which makes them whichWoody stem which makes them great for chameleons to Clement because they’re tougher.
They’re also beautiful and got that one in the top corner, letting hanging down towards the bottom. Gorgeous flowers when treated correctly.

38E51FD3-718D-4976-AE37-594CFADB5DC3.jpeg

Is that Euros? I see you're in The Netherlands.
Here (US) I just saw one online for $30 +shipping, and several places out of them.
I don't think they're as common here, but it's on my list.
Jip they’re around €10,00 a bit the same as in Dollars.
$30+ 😲😲 thats a lot, however I think worth it. They give so much foliage / climbing opportunity, that isn’t possible creating with branches and plants for that money (especially for our price).

In that little pot? Wow, I was joking before, but that is amazing. Impressed.

FWIW, I'm doing the same thing with Wandering Jew, a Philodendron, and a Golden Pothos (though right now he's sleeping at the top of a Ficus benjamina). All three are training up an egg crate trellis on the back wall, and winding around & through the "branches" & other plants.

I do like the look of that Jasmine, though, and being native to Madagascar is only a plus.
Hoping it's safe!
Hopefully it’s, but it feels right, so fingers cross.

FWIW, I'm doing the same thing with Wandering Jew, a Philodendron, and a Golden Pothos (though right now he's sleeping at the top of a Ficus benjamina). All three are training up an egg crate trellis on the back wall, and winding around & through the "branches" & other plants.
That sounds beautiful and really natural 👌🏻👌🏻

Love it like this...
962DC5D9-6E2B-40F6-877E-40D6DED2F8E8.jpeg

That was a TYPO! I hate wearing my glasses and so my proof reading isn’t great.

That should have read:
“Just because it grows in Madagascar DOES NOT make it safe.”

By the time I caught it, I could no longer edit the post.
🤣🤣 never noticed the typo, read from the beginning, does not make it safe 🤭

View attachment 294907

the jasmine is a great plant it grows more on the slow side. They have gorgeous flowers and have a thick Woody stem which makes them whichWoody stem which makes them great for chameleons to Clement because they’re tougher.
IDK about how it would do in an enclosure. I have one I bought 21 years ago in HI at the airport ( a sprout) and it lives outside in an 18" pot in the BAKING sun. It always blooms for July 4th, in fact it is just now starting. It is on a trellis and every year I wind the new tendrils in and around or otherwise it would be like a giant octopus.

Beware, scale (insect) loves the woody stems and I have to fight that every year.

I know Arabic, Asian, and Star Jasmine are Poisonous to most Animals.
Never heard of that one though
It’s a grey area and it’s not Veiled tested. I use it for my Veiled, however she doesn’t eat it. After 6 months she hasn’t touched one single leave. Check the #3 from this thread for some background info.

IDK about how it would do in an enclosure. I have one I bought 21 years ago in HI at the airport ( a sprout) and it lives outside in an 18" pot in the BAKING sun. It always blooms for July 4th, in fact it is just now starting. It is on a trellis and every year I wind the new tendrils in and around or otherwise it would be like a giant octopus.

Beware, scale (insect) loves the woody stems and I have to fight that every year.
Do you have photos of it?

Do you have photos of it?
Just took these. It is looking a little sad this year due to neglect :( but is blooming right on schedule for the 4th.

I have not heard it called jasmine, it is really stephanotis, a big component of bridal bouquets because it smells heavenly.

PS I think it would be very happy with a little less sun and higher humidity but alas I am in Socal.

Attachments

• steph blooms.jpg
    steph blooms.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 113
  • stephanotis.jpg
    stephanotis.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 115
I have not heard it called jasmine, it is really stephanotis, a big component of bridal bouquets because it smells heavenly
Jip, that’s for what they use them the most.

PS I think it would be very happy with a little less sun and higher humidity but alas I am in Socal.
Mine sits more in the shade of the Schefflera and is now growing like crazy, the new vine grows almost a inch a day. Maybe they all bloom in the same period.

Thanks for the bump great thread , my favorite Vining plant inside my terrariums is creeping fig no it’s not great for Chamaeleon Highways The tiny leaves and clinging ability to walls etc. Gives a bonsai effect in a small enclosure .. once acclimated to the low light levels it grows rather quickly . Sorry for the foggy picture but I’m not going to clear her tank for a pic maybe I’ll get one later🤷🏽‍♂️

Attachments

• CC3DBC21-9C6A-4634-8D73-A224F95D99E9.jpeg
    CC3DBC21-9C6A-4634-8D73-A224F95D99E9.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom