Luigi.. just want some opinions

Danielondono

I just got a new boy veiled chameleon not sure of age but looks about a year. ive had a girl previous she became egg bound ... i recently got him i have not seen him drink yet it been about 3 days and im worried that he might start to get dehydrated. Wanted to know what dripper you guys used of stuff have worked for you guys.. im gonna start to use the syringe and make him drink... but i rather him drink on his own..
See images i have this dripper thing and the humidifier that drops water as well... sorry for the long post .... ps i live in NYC that why i have a glass tank... air is very dry year round. I have also sprayed him but he runs

Hi is that an Aquarium you have him? I understand your in my and you need a glass cage but they make cages designed for those purposes and you don’t have to put him in a fish tank

Thank you i undertand... but i can maintain humidity perfect in it as well as temperatures...
NYC buildings are very dry i tried the mesh cages on my previous veiled and could not maintain humidity what so ever and yes i plan to move him a glass/mesh ventilation tank i found. He is eating a lot and moving around all day and basking normaly and pooping too lol.
He will be moved soon but for now that's were he will be.. im more concerned about drinking the tank. He does not seemed stressed out either.

Hi is that an Aquarium you have him? I understand your in my and you need a glass cage but they make cages designed for those purposes and you don’t have to put him in a fish tank

Thank you i undertand... but i can maintain humidity perfect in it as well as temperatures...
NYC buildings are very dry i tried the mesh cages on my previous veiled and could not maintain humidity what so ever and yes i plan to move him a glass/mesh ventilation tank i found. He is eating a lot and moving around all day and basking normaly and pooping too lol.
He will be moved soon but for now that's were he will be.. im more concerned about drinking the tank. He does not seemed stressed out either.
I’m not talking about the mesh cage
https://www.thebiodude.com/products/exo-terra-36-x-18-x-36-glass-terrarium-includes-freight-shipping

Attachments

• 20191118_191101.jpg
    20191118_191101.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20191118_191058.jpg
    20191118_191058.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 59
Yeah he is going in a similar cage... soon but like i said im more concern with getting him to drink... thank you for the link i might end up getting that one you sent i saw this one yesterday
Why do you think he’s dehydrated? Most chams not drink they get there moisture throw the food they eat and night time fogging

His head seems a little sunken in his eyes look okay... he is eating a lot of cricket full gut and nice hornworm so he might be okay... im just being paranoid perhaps.... my last cham drank from that little dripper fountain i have and when i sprayed her this one has not yet...

His head seems a little sunken in his eyes look okay... he is eating a lot of cricket full gut and nice hornworm so he might be okay... im just being paranoid perhaps.... my last cham drank from that little dripper fountain i have and when i sprayed her this one has not yet...
My male never drinks but my female drinks all the time. No all chams are the same maybe he’s not thirsty. As for the head it looked fine to me. Most ppl over feed there chams witch is why you see some with a fat crest

My male never drinks but my female drinks all the time. No all chams are the same maybe he’s not thirsty. As for the head it looked fine to me. Most ppl over feed there chams witch is why you see some with a fat crest
Got it thank you for the info, this is exactly why i came to this place... i appreciate it ill keep that in mind.. how much do you recommend? You seem very knowledgeable.. he had two hornwarms today and about 10 medium crickets through out the day. Is that too much.

Got it thank you for the info, this is exactly why i came to this place... i appreciate it ill keep that in mind.. how much do you recommend? You seem very knowledgeable.. he had two hornwarms today and about 10 medium crickets through out the day. Is that too much.
Do you know the age of your guy? He looks to be 5 months to me. At that age they are growing a lot and you want to offer to there fill but that sounds like a good amount. If you don’t mind would you fill out this help forum so then I can help you better.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Do you know the age of your guy? He looks to be 5 months to me. At that age they are growing a lot and you want to offer to there fill but that sounds like a good amount. If you don’t mind would you fill out this help forum so then I can help you better.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Great thank you. I will try to answer all these lol

What does his (Excuse My French) Urate look like? As in the coloring. My female Loves her big dripper, I like it because it gives them a constant source of water.

Male Veilds get pretty big, id also recommend getting the 36x18x36 glass viv as recommended above.

Honesty at his age he should be stepping up to a 24x24x48 viv very soon anyway. I understand and agree you don't want a screen viv in NY, go checkout DragonStrand clear sides. They will give you the size and humidity/temp retaining properties you need.

Also, never run your humidifier during the day, ESPECIALLY IN AN AQUARIUM. If its an absolute must turn your basking light off 30min prior to fogging. The setup your currently running is virtually guaranteed to cause an RI.

Male Veilds get pretty big, id also recommend getting the 36x18x36 glass viv as recommended above.

Honesty at his age he should be stepping up to a 24x24x48 viv very soon anyway. I understand and agree you don't want a screen viv in NY, go checkout DragonStrand clear sides. They will give you the size and humidity/temp retaining properties you need.

Also, never run your humidifier during the day, ESPECIALLY IN AN AQUARIUM. If its an absolute must turn your basking light off 30min prior to fogging. The setup your currently running is virtually guaranteed to cause an RI.

Yes i need to get him the proper viv.. i ran this set up with my female for two years never had an issue.. i have to run it If i dont the humidity goes to 20 in less then 30 mins. I run it and it stays at 50 to 60. Its crazy dry in my apartment and now with winter even worse.

What does his (Excuse My French) Urate look like? As in the coloring. My female Loves her big dripper, I like it because it gives them a constant source of water.
Its white. Still haven seen him drink i have a camara recording him and no drinking. Im assuming he is hydratin with the hornworms and the crickets.

Yes i need to get him the proper viv.. i ran this set up with my female for two years never had an issue.. i have to run it If i dont the humidity goes to 20 in less then 30 mins. I run it and it stays at 50 to 60. Its crazy dry in my apartment and now with winter even worse.
How are you managing air circulation?

How are you managing air circulation?
By keep the lights on l mostly on side of the of the tank and the humidifier on the other side . so humidifier (cooler air) on one side hot air rising bc of the heat of lamps on the other side lol ive seem at times the humidifier pushing the air around. I know if probably not circulating enough but i think it works. I was thinking of getting a computer fan to circulate more but im just gonna but the proper cage for him

Back
Top Bottom