Lucy the female veiled just disappeared

gideonus

I'm shocked! I was babysitting a 1.5 year old female veiled, Lucy, for a friend. Sunday was a gorgeous very warm San Francisco day, so I took Lucy out in my enclosed back yard and let her bask on a bush. I was sure to put her on a bush that would let her climb onto a tree of anything else that would allow her to escape out of the yard. I had done this before without any problem. She'd typically navigate around the branches, find a nice sunny spot and bask. This time, though, I ran into the house to answer the phone, came back 3 minutes later, and Lucy was gone. The entire back yard is enclosed by a high fence and there's just no way she could have up and gone, but I looked EVERYWHERE for the better part of two hours, and no Lucy. I am stumped. All I can figure is that perhaps a big Blue Jay may have come by while I was in the house and swooped down to grab her (she was pretty small-maybe 7 inches total). Unfortunately, even if she didn't sucumb to a predatory bird, that evening was very cold and windy, so I doubt she could have made it thru the night. I looked the next morning again, but no luck.

Any ideas what might have happened? Chams aren't such magicians that they can come down from a comfortable bush, walk to the other end of the yard and climb up and over a 9 foot fence without the aid of climbing branches. OR?

she may be hiding in the middle of the bush or something. Sometimes they like to hide rather then bask. Happens to me all the time. At most it takes me 15 mins to find my cham.

This is where you buy another veiled and just replace him before anyone finds out, just like how uncle jesse did it on Full House when steph's goldfish needed to be replaced when the tanner kids took them into the bubble bath. Then a bad string of comedy of errors should ensue, where in the end you'll ultimately learn a valuable lesson; not to be superseded, but capped off by a hilarious quote like, "you got it, dude."

Last edited:
Veleds have escaped i the Fall, and been found alive in the spring - in Northeastern States. Do not misunderestimate them.

Use a flashlight at night, they're reflective when they sleep.

This is where you buy another veiled and just replace him before anyone finds out, just like how uncle jesse did it on Full House when steph's goldfish needed to be replaced when the tanner kids took them into the bubble bath. Then a bad string of comedy of errors should ensue, where in the end you'll ultimately learn a valuable lesson; not to be superseded, but capped off by a hilarious quote like, "you got it, dude."

Awwwwwwwww Pooooo Pooop POOP! FECES! :p:p:p

Sorry-couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I just wet myself a little...

Hope you find her. Maybe she's just hiding very, very well.

Veleds have escaped i the Fall, and been found alive in the spring - in Northeastern States. Do not misunderestimate them.

Use a flashlight at night, they're reflective when they sleep.

Don't give up! I think this is a good idea! (I've never lost a cham, so I don't really know)

Veileds have the ability to be in front of your nose and you can't see them. Happens to me all the time with my male. There is a branch right in front of the door and I can look all over and he will be right in front of me.

Veileds do have that ability to just dissapear. My male whom is about 8" without the tail seems to vanish in his enclosure sometimes. I'll be looking for him for 5-10 minutes before I find him and hes only in a 18X18X36" enclosure.

Anyways keep us posted on the chameleon rescue mission. I hope you find her

Not to be pessimistic or anything. But veiled move alot faster than you think when your not around. This past weekend my boyfriend and I were building a new cage for our 5+ month old Veiled in our garage. He was outside with us in his outdoor cage and started freak out a little when the power tools started. So I moved him back inside where he had no cage. He has a nice vine system going around half of the walls in my bedroom. Next thing I know I tell my boyfriend "I'll be right back, I'm going to check on Master Yoda". I go in...HE'S GONE!

Well not really, he just wasn't where I put him. He has a fatal attraction to the screen on our window and normally I'll find him clinging to it...HE WASN'T THERE EITHER!

That crafty little thing actually camouflaged to the shadow on our blue curtain and it took me forever to finally see his casque sticking out of the curtain...

Chameleons are fun til they play "Houdini".

You'll find her when you stop looking for her.

:) very nice! ha ha ha

Gideonus,

If this goes into the night, I read people using a flash light as they tend to turn lighter in color thus more visible. (I guess I missed that Eric had suggested this already!)

For now, I am sure what the weather is like. but how about misting the bushes and see if there is any movement?

Last edited:
Gideonus,

If this goes into the night, I read people using a flash light as they tend to turn lighter in color thus more visible.

For now, I am sure what the weather is like. but how about misting the bushes and see if there is any movement?

screw misting the bushes TURN ON THE SPRINKLERS! ha ha ha send her running out!

I feel your pain - I lost one chameleon years ago, and it still irks the crap out of me. Never found him.

Now I have a pair of carpets, and the male has taken to venturing out of his free range lately. Three times in a row he has ended up in the kids toy room. The first time we found him clinging tenaciously to a little Go Diego Go action figure. It was kind of cute, and kind of kinky at the same time :rolleyes:

Flashlight at night is good advice. Good luck!

If you can handle it and haven't found her yet wait until morning. She'll come out if she's still in the yard to sun.

Trust me, unfortunately I know this routine.

Back
Top Bottom