Louie is acting STRANGE

No, he usually only opens his mouth when I get too close or grabby with him! Vet didn't discuss respiratory infection with me, I'm unsure.

These are all pictures during the time he's going through all this sickness so he's extra temperamental with me lately.

a vet visit is definitely something he needs. But maybe find one more experienced. Call around.
Keep us updated please! I really hope he gets better!

I'm concerned about the right arm/foot...looks swollen...might be an infection going on? I'm not a vet and can be sure.

do you think the antibiotic given at the vet today might jump start that, if it's a possible infection? His grip still remains VERY strong and he is getting around well on the dirt. When he attempts to climb, he can. He just can't hold on for too long.

There are so many post in this thread that I apologize if I cover something you've already been told or already corrected.

You're fine!! I ordered new lighting tonight, reptivite reptile vitamins with D3, and repti-calcium without D3. There is a store in Slidell (about 30 min from me) that has liquid calcium as well as another liquid that is supposed to help with appetite, what is your opinion on maybe going to obtain that tomorrow?

You said..."do you think the antibiotic given at the vet today might jump start that, if it's a possible infection? His grip still remains VERY strong and he is getting around well on the dirt. When he attempts to climb, he can. He just can't hold on for too long"...I was thinking that actually...but it won't likely work if it is an infection. Chameleon pus is like cottage cheese and antibiotics can't really get at it to clear it up. It usually needs to be cleaned out too.

You said..."I am currently having to force feed him. Any tips or recommendations on that?"...this should be a last resort. If he's not eating because his digestion is slow, he might not feel hungry. If they are spitting it out there's no point IMHO. Remember I'm not a vet and I can't be sure.

You said..."Today when I went to the vet, they gave him liquid metronidazole 50mg (1 mL) and invermectin (an antiobiotic and meds to treat parasites). Will this negatively effect anything if I go tomorrow and ask for treatment for mbd? They shouldn't counteract, right?"... I don't think calcium would affect anything but the vet should know if any of them interact....even if s/he's not a chameleon vet.

You said..."do you think the antibiotic given at the vet today might jump start that, if it's a possible infection? His grip still remains VERY strong and he is getting around well on the dirt. When he attempts to climb, he can. He just can't hold on for too long"...I was thinking that actually...but it won't likely work if it is an infection. Chameleon pus is like cottage cheese and antibiotics can't really get at it to clear it up. It usually needs to be cleaned out too.

You said..."I am currently having to force feed him. Any tips or recommendations on that?"...this should be a last resort. If he's not eating because his digestion is slow, he might not feel hungry. If they are spitting it out there's no point IMHO. Remember I'm not a vet and I can't be sure.

You said..."Today when I went to the vet, they gave him liquid metronidazole 50mg (1 mL) and invermectin (an antiobiotic and meds to treat parasites). Will this negatively effect anything if I go tomorrow and ask for treatment for mbd? They shouldn't counteract, right?"... I don't think calcium would affect anything but the vet should know if any of them interact....even if s/he's not a chameleon vet.

no point in what exactly? Trying to keep feeding him? Should I just wait for him to get better and start having an appetite again? (In hopes that that happens) thank you for all of your insight!!!!

As I said I'm not a vet...just thinking if the digestin is slower due to MBD, food I think would likely be passing through him slowly...so if you're forcing him to eat...where's the food going to go? Spit back out? Just a thought.

As I said I'm not a vet...just thinking if the digestin is slower due to MBD, food I think would likely be passing through him slowly...so if you're forcing him to eat...where's the food going to go? Spit back out? Just a thought.

Right, exactly. Thank you!! I contacted the vet this morning and the receptionist wrote down everything I said and said he would be in a little later this morning, that she would tell him everything and get him to call me ASAP!

He has MBD and is overweight... Go to a better vet with actual exotic/reptile/cham experience. They should not have given a dewormer unless they ran a fecal to know exactly what the parasite issue was. And they should have known by looking at him that he has MBD which means they did not have the experience you need in a vet treating him.

I did not read through everything but I am sure it was already covered that your lighting is incorrect. And No red bulbs should be used at all. No heat bulbs at night at all unless temps drop below 50.

You need a t5 ho fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb. then you want this on top of the cage with a total distance to basking being 9 inches....

Back
Top Bottom