Looking for advice a little worried

allanandsophie

Hi guys and girls,

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice, My Vield Chameleon is about 4 months old and he is sitting in his basking area and walking about the top of the viv with his mouth open, hes has been doing this for about 30 minutes now.

He is eating and his Basking temprature is 33.3c (91.94f)

His cool area is 22.1c (71.78f)

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on this as i am a little worried.

Thank you,

Allan and Sophie

Im sure you probably know that with him having his mouth open like that, it is a sign that he may be to hot. He may be trying to thermo-regulate and release some heat out of his body, also if he is pacing back in forth i believe him being anxious like that is another sign that he is uncomfortable and is trying to get or cooler or find a cooler sight. I see that you have portions of the cage with lower temps,but he may feel more comfortable up higher, therefore not willing to go to a lower spot to find cooler temps and is hoping he can find something cooler up top. Since he is kind of on the young side i would try and lower the basking sight a few degrees maybe to 87 or 88 degrees and see if that helps! Just some thoughts to try out! I hope you get it all figured out soon for him!

i think that's a little too hot for him. it should probally be in the low 80s for such a young one that's why he has his mouth open. what watt bulb are you using?

It does sound as if the basking spot is too hot for his age. I go between 82-85f for a 4 month old until they are about nine months old

Thank you for the advice,

We are running a 100W UVB bulb and a 60Watt refelector bulb to bring the heat up, we did have a 40Watt refelctor bulb in there but a reptile shop said that the temp in there was not hot enough we where gettign aroudn 29c-30c which is about 87f i believe.

So if i go back to the 40watt refelctor bulb he shoudl stop opening his mouth?

Also does anybody use a rain system or humidifier?

I have a extra large reptibreeze and i was looking at gettign a rain system, i didnt know if anybody could recomened one?

More advice to this would be brilliant.

Thank you

Thank you for the advice,

We are running a 100W UVB bulb and a 60Watt refelector bulb to bring the heat up, we did have a 40Watt refelctor bulb in there but a reptile shop said that the temp in there was not hot enough we where gettign aroudn 29c-30c which is about 87f i believe.

So if i go back to the 40watt refelctor bulb he shoudl stop opening his mouth?

Also does anybody use a rain system or humidifier?

I have a extra large reptibreeze and i was looking at gettign a rain system, i didnt know if anybody could recomened one?

More advice to this would be brilliant.

Thank you
i have a 40 watt for my jacksons that only gets to 80F but i would definitely go to the 40 watt and just watch how he is. i cant help you on the rain system seeing as i don't have one.

OH wow man yea i think with just the 100 watt bulb he would be pretty hot, i have a 100 watt on my adult guy and still have to pull it back at times!

I just left the 100 watt on today and the temp was 32C so i might knock it down to a 80 watt bulb what does everybody think?

Back
Top Bottom