Long Claws

mistikmaiden

Hi there! I just adopted a rescue chameleon that was just dropped off my someone who either didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care about her. She has a rather large absess (Spelled right?) on her face and I think they just didn't want her anymore because of it.
Anyway, I am nursing the poor little girl back to health but I am troubled by her nails. They are SO LONG! She has a hard time gripping anything. A few of them are broken off because of it. My other cham has stuff he scratches at so his nails don't get like that. How do I help her? Should I clip them? Thanks all!

Please provide pictures.

Females have long nails for digging.

I would suggest calling your reptile vet and asking if they have any experience clipping nails. You could accidentally cause pain to the reptile by cutting their quick.

Please provide pictures.

Females have long nails for digging.

I would suggest calling your reptile vet and asking if they have any experience clipping nails. You could accidentally cause pain to the reptile by cutting their quick.
I actually have to start getting ready for work right now but I will definately post pics tomorrow. Thanks!

I would not cut her nails. I would be worried about the abscess on her face. Has she had a vet visit to get the proper meds for it?

I agree with not cutting nails. My first female wore all hers down to blunt stumps whilst digging to lay her second clutch, and she could never get a hold of certain smooth branches after that. They really do need those nails for climbing and gripping! If any get ripped from the nail bed, they do not re-grow either. My female's stumpy nails did continue to grow but were never the same after she blunted them all.

I agree with not cutting nails. My first female wore all hers down to blunt stumps whilst digging to lay her second clutch, and she could never get a hold of certain smooth branches after that. They really do need those nails for climbing and gripping! If any get ripped from the nail bed, they do not re-grow either. My female's stumpy nails did continue to grow but were never the same after she blunted them all.
I didn't intend on cutting them off. Just trimming the tips or something so that she can get around easier. She's breaking them all off down to the stumps! How do I prevent this?

I think, as Syn indicated, their nails have a blood supply. As long as she's not breaking them to the point that they bleed, I doubt it's dangerous.

What is she trying to walk on that's causing the problem?

How is it that she is breaking them? Perhaps it is the branches/cage that should be changed?
No, all the ones that are broken off were already broken off when I got her. She grips vines and such okay but she just doesn't have much of a grip. And like, my other chameleon gets a grip on my shirt when I take him out and it's almost imposible to get him off because his grip is so strong. She can hardly do it at all. She's kinda weak, which is part of the problem. However those claws of hers seem to be getting in her way as well.

No, all the ones that are broken off were already broken off when I got her. She grips vines and such okay but she just doesn't have much of a grip. And like, my other chameleon gets a grip on my shirt when I take him out and it's almost imposible to get him off because his grip is so strong. She can hardly do it at all. She's kinda weak, which is part of the problem. However those claws of hers seem to be getting in her way as well.
I think you should fill out this form:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Please post pictures as well.

That absess has most likely compromised her health causing the weakened grip. Shes prob battling a pretty severe infection. Def keep her well hydrated and a vet visit is asap is in order.

I'm wondering if she might not also have an injury or abscess on one or more feet. From what I've read, unless they have an injury on a foot, the nails will naturally wear down as they should in just normal activity.

The previous owners probably had her in a glass tank with no large perches. My recommendation is get some approx 100 grit sandpaper, thumbtacks, and some large 1/2 inch diameter dowels. Homp Depot. Size the dowels so they fit somewhere in the cage where she will climb on them and bask on them. Wrap prime sections of the dowels in sandpaper and use thumbtacks on the underside to tack the paper on. Hammer the tacks in. Place branches in cage.

I have a small section of sandpaper in my cages for scratching and shedding. A little cham scratching post.

The previous owners probably had her in a glass tank with no large perches. My recommendation is get some approx 100 grit sandpaper, thumbtacks, and some large 1/2 inch diameter dowels. Homp Depot. Size the dowels so they fit somewhere in the cage where she will climb on them and bask on them. Wrap prime sections of the dowels in sandpaper and use thumbtacks on the underside to tack the paper on. Hammer the tacks in. Place branches in cage.

I have a small section of sandpaper in my cages for scratching and shedding. A little cham scratching post.
That idea makes me think it would make the bottom of the feet raw and open and prone to infection.

Naw, the sandpaper grit should be similar to a nail file, maybe a bit rougher. However, I have never covered whole branches in the stuff...

I LOVE IT! That's a great idea!:D

How has the abcess been treated? Was it cleaned out, a culture and sensitivity test done and the chameleon put on the proper antibiotic?

Is it possible that the female is gravid? Some chameleons get long nails when they are getting ready to lay the eggs. Does she have a place to dig in her cage to show you when she needs to lay eggs?

What specific supplements are you using and how often for each? What are you gutloading/feeding the insects specifically?

I have a cement or sand covered bird perch in every cage. Originally I figured it would help naturally wear their claws. Im not sure it matters, since they spend very little time on it and despite all having one of these every chameleon has different length nails. They do use the bird branch/perches sometimes to remove shed.

Ah good to hear this -- yeah I got the idea from bird products. Now if we could only put a chunk of calcium in the cage and let them self-supplement.

Back
Top Bottom