Locale of My Panther Chameleon

JonnyRogs22

Hey guys, I have an 11 month old panther chameleon that is going through his growth spurt (which he started a little later than average) he's now 26g and 11" long vent to tail tip. 4 months ago he was only 5 grams! I was wondering if any of you could guess his locale from these photos. The original breeder had the locale but I forgot and lost connection with him and can't find the e-mails we had back and forth. If anyone could provide any input on what locale you think he may be, I would be very interested to know. Thank you! (I tried searching myself but couldn't really find any that looked very similar to my Oliver! He looks Ambilobe to me but seeking additional input) (The last photo where he is dark is 5 months old, the others are from today)

Attachments

• IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_5633.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_5634.JPG
    IMG_5634.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4854.JPG
    IMG_4854.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I agree that it's too early to tell. He is quite small for his age but appears healthy. There looks to be quite a few more red spots then I normally see on young Ambilobes, perhaps he is an Ambilobe/Faly cross - again, give him time for his colours to come in more.

Ok thanks guys. I know he is very small for his age but he is definetly healthy and is now starting to gain size quickly
I agree that it's too early to tell. He is quite small for his age but appears healthy. There looks to be quite a few more red spots then I normally see on young Ambilobes, perhaps he is an Ambilobe/Faly cross - again, give him time for his colours to come in more.

I should also note that when I got him the breeder said he had one left (Oliver) and was keeping him because he thought his patterns were unique and he would be a spectacular colour when he was older but then said he would let me have him anyway. I'm starting to think he was just the last one because he was the smallest. That could explain his delayed growth. Anyway, he is happy and healthy and is finally putting on some good size with a good appetite. Thanks guys

Too young to tell as other people said.
Also I would recommend a tube linear UV light instead of coil bulbs. They are more efficient. Just saying because I can see a dual dome on the cage and I wanted to help. Just my 2c.
Good luck with him. :)

I hate to say it but I think your breeder wasn't being honest in anything he was saying. There is no way he is 11 months old or he is the smallest chameleon I've seen in all of my breeding years. I would guess he was only about a month or two old max when you got him and maybe 6-7 months now if that. As for locale, I would assume a cross too since the information you received already doesn't add up. Unfortunately, you will never be able to tell exactly what locale he is.

I hate to say it but I think your breeder wasn't being honest in anything he was saying. There is no way he is 11 months old or he is the smallest chameleon I've seen in all of my breeding years. I would guess he was only about a month or two old max when you got him and maybe 6-7 months now if that. As for locale, I would assume a cross too since the information you received already doesn't add up. Unfortunately, you will never be able to tell exactly what locale he is.
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the linear bulb and yes I wouldn't be surprised. I remember thinking that maybe he was just way younger than he stated when I bought him but I assure you I bought him in October-November of last year. I remember this as I know I had him before a job I started at the end of November. I had him in my hands in a plastic deli cup around that time last year and he was extremely small. He then shedded once and didn't shed for quite a long time after that (several months). He is now shedding about once every 3-4 weeks. I knew he wasn't progressing at the same pace as normal (and even made a post about it here earlier in the year). I took him to a vet and the vet said all seems fine and he must just be a late bloomer (did fecal tests which came back negative). Fast forward to now and he has been putting on much more size than he ever has but is clearly still smaller than normal for his age. I can absolutely assure you though that he is in fact that age

Hey Guys, here’s an updated picture of Oliver. As of today he weighs 50g and is right around 12” length (including tail). His colours are definitely starting to come through now as you can see

Attachments

• EFCDC803-5DBB-4B1A-8E28-B4981C2B7477.jpeg
    EFCDC803-5DBB-4B1A-8E28-B4981C2B7477.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 182
Hey Guys, here’s an updated picture of Oliver. As of today he weighs 50g and is right around 12” length (including tail). His colours are definitely starting to come through now as you can see

I love how their colors change so much!! He does not even look at all like the first pictures you posted, he has doubled his weight that is awesome (y)

Hey Guys, here is Oliver again! Getting very bright and beautiful! Any better guesses on his locale? He is now 90g and 14” long

Attachments

• 130B4AD1-AC5B-4DE2-858D-73F338B67312.jpeg
    130B4AD1-AC5B-4DE2-858D-73F338B67312.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 4130AC61-383A-45E8-A986-F6CFB503E85B.png
    4130AC61-383A-45E8-A986-F6CFB503E85B.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 177
  • D50B415B-5539-4D23-A251-40B3758CE5DA.png
    D50B415B-5539-4D23-A251-40B3758CE5DA.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 174
  • 4475416F-D4F2-47E0-ACA8-22A00B5F0A65.jpeg
    4475416F-D4F2-47E0-ACA8-22A00B5F0A65.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 5C36CECB-21F6-4FE3-9BB2-A6CEC919D8C0.jpeg
    5C36CECB-21F6-4FE3-9BB2-A6CEC919D8C0.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 170
Red bar ambilobe, or a very unique Sambava, but probably Red Bar Ambilobe.
Not Sambava, no U shaped middle bar and not the rest colors of sambava. Sambava are way more subdued green and dried blood colored at rest. And fired up are more
yellow, orange or red with variable colored bars, but always with the indicative U shaped middle bar. CJ's Exotics, This is not intended as any kind of reprimand, only informative.
IMG_0903.jpg
variable colored bars. Here are 3 examples:
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0905.jpg

Not Sambava, no U shaped middle bar and not the rest colors of sambava. Sambava are way more subdued green and dried blood colored at rest. And fired up are more
yellow, orange or red with variable colored bars, but always with the indicative U shaped middle bar. CJ's Exotics, This is not intended as any kind of reprimand, only informative.View attachment 197338 variable colored bars. Here are 3 examples:View attachment 197336 View attachment 197337
Thanks. I barely can tell the difference lol. The whole y-bar, u-bar, and whatever the other bars are totally confuses me. Sambava's are definitely on my wish list, and your high-red ambilobe's too @bobcochran! Happy New Year!!! :):p:D:p:D:)

Back
Top Bottom