LLL Drain Pan Drainage.

Yes, actually you did when you said large puddles would form creating a cesspool of bacteria. And I was just pointing out water runs downhill as do other things. ;)

I put mine up on bed risers (bed,bath, and beyond) and cut a hole in the middle to drain into a plastic bin.

Can't post pics at work. :p

Yes, actually you did when you said large puddles would form creating a cesspool of bacteria. And I was just pointing out water runs downhill as do other things. ;)

I was referring to the plastic supports that the cage sits on. I never said "large puddles" :p

If you slope the drain pan you will have to level the cage it get the water to drain. Unless your drain is in the back part of the cage.

I was referring to the plastic supports that the cage sits on. I never said "large puddles" :p

If you slope the drain pan you will have to level the cage it get the water to drain. Unless your drain is in the back part of the cage.

Have you purchased and used any of these yet? how are you utilizing them? How are you removing water?

I know, I know... I will work on it. Right now I'm trying to get things worked out for my first workshop. I do sell to the SBCK attendees. The email went out a couple of days ago with prices.

I know, I know... I will work on it. Right now I'm trying to get things worked out for my first workshop. I do sell to the SBCK attendees. The email went out a couple of days ago with prices.

I might be getting some drain pans.... but maybe not till next meeting..... good prices and supporting a good cause.

Howdy All,

I've been using a drain pan of my own design for many years that is very similar to the LLL ones. Like mine, the LLL drain pan is purposely designed to have about a 1/2" air gap between the side edges of our screen enclosure and the side edges of the drain pan. This allows for air flow to dry-out any small amount residual water on the pan's surface that didn't go down the drain hole between uses. Normally you drill 3/16" holes the enclosure bottom in about half a dozen places but if you see puddling in a particular place, just drill another drain hole :). As the water drains through those enclosure holes it tends to make nice little streams as it heads to the drain pan's drain tube and then down the drain tube to the holding bucket. Any debris going down the encosure's bottom holes is self-limited to no large than 3/16" and is more often just tiny bits of junk that has washed off leaves etc. As recommended in previous posts in this thread, if you are using a side-mounted drain tube, be sure to drill drain hole flush with the bottom edge of the drain pan or use a bottom-mounted drain hole and tube instead.

These drain pans that are available from LLL and ChamEO (Chamelisa) (501c3) are great at solving the drainage issues that many keepers have been battling forever :).

Have you purchased and used any of these yet? how are you utilizing them? How are you removing water?

No I haven't had much interest in these. I think its easier to use a 2" pvc drain from lowes and glue it to the bottom of the cage. You can use a 2" coupling and reduce it down to whatever size of drain line you want.
The pvc bottom of a screen cage is easily thermo formed with a heat gun so the water runs to the drain.

I have two and they work great. I placed my valve in the back on the bottom. I tipped the table a slight amount and the water all runs to the back and thru the tubing to a bucket. I used smaller valves and tubing, like the kind for rainbird drip systems. Barely any water sits in the pan for any length of time and with the gap around the edge it dries completely overnight.
Now I need a double size for 2- 24" cages!

No I haven't had much interest in these. I think its easier to use a 2" pvc drain from lowes and glue it to the bottom of the cage. You can use a 2" coupling and reduce it down to whatever size of drain line you want.
The pvc bottom of a screen cage is easily thermo formed with a heat gun so the water runs to the drain.

Oh, it sounded like you have some and have these issues.

I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned.

The reason I don't see drains in the middle of the cage working (for me at least...) is that water runs down the side of the cage. Getting water to the center is hard, no matter how bowed the center of the cage is.

does anyone have any pics of theirs with the drain spout coming out of the bottom? I have one of these arriving today with my new cage and I want to drill and glue tonight.

I think it would kinda look just like a fitting on the side........ except the fitting comes out the bottom.

If I were gonna do the bottom I would put the fitting in a corner and tilt the whole pan a little.

I think it would kinda look just like a fitting on the side........ except the fitting comes out the bottom.

If I were gonna do the bottom I would put the fitting in a corner and tilt the whole pan a little.

Well the way I set my stand and pan up so that there is a natural sag in the center of it. This way, all of my excess water pools there and drains there.

In testing I and observation of others using these pans. It seems it might be best to install the drain in a corner.

If you mount it to the vertical face of the pan, put it in the corner. This way you can lift the rear of the pan and the front corner opposite of the drain outlet. This will make sure the water goes to one corner and leaves less area for water to pool. The less water left in the pan, the less needed to evaperate.

just been reading up on drainage and how are you ment to get any drainage on the exo terra viv's ??? mine has a glass bottom :( ?

i also understand some substrate cant be used due to swallowing and stomach problems , so i was wondering if i could use lilo ? the stuff used on kitchen floors ? as it would be water proof and easy to clean ?

Back
Top Bottom