Live-Flowering-Fast-Growing-Vines

kgallego

So far for me, this has been one of the most challenging things for me to find. I've tried multiple types of vines to try and meet the following and failed at finding one that will do it:

- Needs to be able to live in a chameleon terrarium atmosphere, which generally means wet soil/lots of mist-king waterings.

-Preferably can be easily grown from seed so that it will climb it's way to fit an already existing set up of sticks, twigs, structures, etc.

-Flowering is what we all hope for to add some beauty.

-Grows year round, of course...

-Fast growth, because everyone is just a little impacient :cool:

Anyone have any good ideas on which ones work best and where to get them? Ideally I'd like to find a vine that I can plant from seed in the potting box in the bottom of my terrarium (See pic below), that will wrap itself around my sticks and take over the cage at a decent rate of growth, and provide beauty and cover for my Chams.

Everything I've tried has failed. Vines bought at the nursery which are best for outdoors either die due to indoor/wet conditions, or are too big and awkward to climb the sticks that are in there. I tried a Vanilla Planifolia vine from 'Andy's Orchids', died within 2 weeks. I'm running low on ideas.

And yes - I have 6500k growlights in place.

Thanks for any input! -Kelsey-

IMG_0422_zps9ca9d4e9.jpg

Jasmine would be nice. I'm not sure if its toxic though. It's pretty woody and should be able to handle the Chams running in it. It also has very fragrant flowers.

Hoya plant. It's in the list of plants o.k. for chams in the FL chams plant list. I have a grow light in Spikes cage and it seems to be doing just fine in there. I don't have it directly underneath the drip, so it's not getting over watered. The vines are sturdy enough for him to climb on.

Hoya plant. It's in the list of plants o.k. for chams in the FL chams plant list. I have a grow light in Spikes cage and it seems to be doing just fine in there. I don't have it directly underneath the drip, so it's not getting over watered. The vines are sturdy enough for him to climb on.

Interesting. I was just looking a few picture of it. It appears to be a covering vine and not a climbing vine. Is this correct?

Ideally I'd like to plant it on the bottom and let it climb up.

Thanks

Its passion fruit. Spelt it wrong lol! i got the idea from another member on here. It climbs up things well and grows quickly. About 3cm a day once it gets going.

Try a Thunbergia. I don't know about toxicity but it vines onto sticks very fast. May need quite a bit of light though

It climbs. Mine is woven all throughout the enclosure. There are differenct varieties. The one I have has bigger thicker leaves and quite a bit of bare vine on it. You can kind of see it in a couple of the pics I posted in member galleries.

It climbs. Mine is woven all throughout the enclosure. There are differenct varieties. The one I have has bigger thicker leaves and quite a bit of bare vine on it. You can kind of see it in a couple of the pics I posted in member galleries.

Thanks for the input Cmoore. I'll keep that one in mind for sure!

Back
Top Bottom