Lily the Panther: a "Rescue" Progress Thread!

Hmmm I wonder if a pinky would be good for Imelda right now

Can't hurt, might help! Apparently feeding ~1 pinky mouse per month has done wonders for a lot of chameleons, and is a popular practice for Euopean breeders especially! Since animal protein can be difficult to digest, I'd definitely limit consumption to no more than two per month in smaller species (I.e. Veileds, Panthers). (y)

You can get frozen pinkies at just about any pet store that carries reptile supplies. I'd go for small pinky mice, though your girl is significantly bigger than mine and might be able to tackle larger. Just put the frozen pinky in a ziplock bag and float it in a warm water bath for ~10-15 minutes. I rolled it I'm my fingers a few times to make sure it was uniformly defrosted and at a comfortable temperature. I tried to convince Lily to handfeed by holding it up to her and wiggling it to simulate life, and while she was very interested she didnt go for it. So, while I was giving her her eye meds I opened her mouth and popped it in. She was perfectly happy to take it from there, haha! :p

Can't hurt, might help! Apparently feeding ~1 pinky mouse per month has done wonders for a lot of chameleons, and is a popular practice for Euopean breeders especially! Since animal protein can be difficult to digest, I'd definitely limit consumption to no more than two per month in smaller species (I.e. Veileds, Panthers). (y)

You can get frozen pinkies at just about any pet store that carries reptile supplies. I'd go for small pinky mice, though your girl is significantly bigger than mine and might be able to tackle larger. Just put the frozen pinky in a ziplock bag and float it in a warm water bath for ~10-15 minutes. I rolled it I'm my fingers a few times to make sure it was uniformly defrosted and at a comfortable temperature. I tried to convince Lily to handfeed by holding it up to her and wiggling it to simulate life, and while she was very interested she didnt go for it. So, while I was giving her her eye meds I opened her mouth and popped it in. She was perfectly happy to take it from there, haha! :p
Ok this is going to be interesting. I will scream I’m sure

Pet stores sell them. I think frozen is better but others may disagree. But you thaw it to room temp and feed it. Just make sure it is a pinky mouse. Pinky rats are quite a bit larger.
Did not know chameleons ate mice..... I thought they where sweet lil bug eating.... lol. effing youtube. Now I have to eventually buy a pinky, just because I know it's like a turkey dinner

Did not know chameleons ate mice..... I thought they where sweet lil bug eating.... lol. effing youtube. Now I have to eventually buy a pinky, just because I know it's like a turkey dinner
I watch a YouTube video of someone feeding there chameleon one. Wow those veileds were huge. I’m not a fan of rats since one mistook my ear as cheese once

Chams are very opportunistic feeders, and rarely turn up their nose at a potential meal in the wild! While their diets primarily consist of insects, it's not out of the usual for a cham to snipe a small mammal, bird, or reptile! Whole prey items contain important nutrients that insects are lacking, and alongside a good multivitamin they can help fill those holes in nutrition if used in moderation (1-2 times a month tops).

Some ppl even feed geckos to chameleons. That’s crazy to me and I’ve also seen that video and I was extremely caught off guard
Damn.. I've seen my buddys monitors eat geckos as a treat, he use to call 'em feeder lizards. Never imagined a chameleon chewing one down tho. Just when I thought they couldn't be more boring, lol j/k

Some ppl even feed geckos to chameleons. That’s crazy to me and I’ve also seen that video and I was extremely caught off guard

Yeeah- that's a little much for me. I mean, I guess if I bred the house geckos/anoles and pre killed them...? Makes me a little squeamish. I could probably do it with mice if push came to shove, but I'm much more invested in reptiles, haha! I'm also pretty familiar with the humane slaughter of rodents, so it wouldn't be difficult for them. Maybe if I ever branch out into snakes! I do love me some ball pythons.

I think I did ok with the moths today. I got dollar store tweezers and throw them in. Larry loves it. Imelda just looked at it and are now cage mates.

Look at you go - proud of you! :LOL:

Your pet has a pet, everyone wins right? lol
Mmmm till I open the cage and it attacks me. Going to have to get larry to protect me
Yeeah- that's a little much for me. I mean, I guess if I bred the house geckos/anoles and pre killed them...? Makes me a little squeamish. I could probably do it with mice if push came to shove, but I'm much more invested in reptiles, haha! I'm also pretty familiar with the humane slaughter of rodents, so it wouldn't be difficult for them. Maybe if I ever branch out into snakes! I do love me some ball pythons.

Look at you go - proud of you! :LOL:
i would love a ball python but husband is deadly scared. I swear idk why I keep him. I guess I can’t be upset back he agreed to protect me from clowns forever :LOL:

Idk what I will do if 20 hatch at the same time. My nightmares of flying bugs around the room while the demon crawls into my moth. I need to stop watching the exorcist b4 bed

Down with clowns, 100 year old hobos..lol. Ball pythons are killer, and can be super tame and in their own weird way, cuddly.

Every time we get a ball python in at the clinic, I melt into a pile of goo and demand that I get to be the one to assist! :LOL: One of my highlights at work is soaking BPs, haha! I get to hang out with my nope rope danger noodle friend, splash them with warm 50/50 Gatorade/water, and give them a massage with a Q-tip if there are any questionable bits of shed. It's very satisfying! I also love me some geckos. And beardies. And reptiles in general, really.

Maybe I should open a reptile spa. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Lily went on a bit of a hunger strike this week, and has been laying on her basking branch with her eyes closed a lot. Definitely no bueno! :eek: I was going to bring her to the vet tomorrow, but she's much perkier today and back to eating and doing normal chameleon things after I brought her outside for some sun and "convinced" her to eat a tiny pinky mouse (read: I popped one in her mouth). They're chock full of vitamins, so hopefully it'll do her some good! (Disclaimer: pinky mice will only be a once a month sort of deal.) She happily hunted down a couple crickets on her own afterward, and is back at basking - with her eyes open this time! (y)
Ugh! How scary! So happy to hear she is back to normal:D

i do the pinky once a month now too, it used to be every half a year, but i heard from another keeper that theyre super packed full of vitamins lol, so how is ms lily doing now? also my parents are deathly afraid of ball pythons not to mention my boyfriend lol, i could never although i absolutely adore them!

i do the pinky once a month now too, it used to be every half a year, but i heard from another keeper that theyre super packed full of vitamins lol, so how is ms lily doing now? also my parents are deathly afraid of ball pythons not to mention my boyfriend lol, i could never although i absolutely adore them!

Snake phobia is such a strange thing to me... especially since ball pythons are absolute marshmallows! I've only ever met one or two with disagreeable attitudes. The only (pet) snake I've ever been a little iffy about was a ~11ft red tailed boa, and that's only because she was scared and painful and just done with our nonsense, haha! The sheer strength of the big snakes is bananas.

Miss Lily has vanished into one of her hidey holes, and I haven't seen her properly yet today, haha! She's clearly busy doing important chameleon things. :p I really do need to get me a spy cam!

Back
Top Bottom