Lily the Panther: a "Rescue" Progress Thread!

That’s the best lol I’m from California and explains why I say “dude” and “yooo” so much lol or “totally rad” lol and no I don’t surf scared of the ocean lol

Almost forgot my fav “hella” I didn’t know ppl from other states didn’t say those words so when I moved to New Mexico I was laughed at and everyone knew I was from California

Yup, stupid Canadian laws, you can buy weed, but God forbid you try and buy some roaches, lol. I'm limited to crickets, and various worms, but he still won't eat the worms

It's super frustrating for sure! Apparently Canadians in the hobby refer to roaches as "special feeders"... if you have a reptile shop in the area, maybe you can ask? :LOL: I know a lady who knows a lady who breeds dubia, so I just need to get in contact with her and see if we can arrange a deal. Underground roach breeding circles - how ridiculous is that?! :ROFLMAO: Even if Lily doesn't take to them, I'd at least be able supply roaches to other keepers in the area. (y)

I knew I liked you after your morning wood comment :LOL: :ROFLMAO: Yea I’ve been letting ppl know chameleons don’t change color to match there surroundings. Most ppl are shocked

What can I say? My isopods love morning wood. ;):ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I've gotten the camouflage question from just about everyone. The "mood ring" analogy usually works, even with kids!

That’s the best lol I’m from California and explains why I say “dude” and “yooo” so much lol or “totally rad” lol and no I don’t surf scared of the ocean lol

Almost forgot my fav “hella” I didn’t know ppl from other states didn’t say those words so when I moved to New Mexico I was laughed at and everyone knew I was from California

I am also guilty of "dude" and "hella". :LOL:

Lmao, nice. I promise we don't all say "ah boot" for about, but when you get up northern Ontario....

Underground roach buying, I love it. lol. Bring some excitement back into my life, honestly tho, sounds pretty sweet. I can't believe it, back in the day I had to live in a building with roaches, and now I want to buy the little f%#Ker$, lol

It's super frustrating for sure! Apparently Canadians in the hobby refer to roaches as "special feeders"... if you have a reptile shop in the area, maybe you can ask? :LOL: I know a lady who knows a lady who breeds dubia, so I just need to get in contact with her and see if we can arrange a deal. Underground roach breeding circles - how ridiculous is that?! :ROFLMAO: Even if Lily doesn't take to them, I'd at least be able supply roaches to other keepers in the area. (y)

What can I say? My isopods love morning wood. ;):ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I've gotten the camouflage question from just about everyone. The "mood ring" analogy usually works, even with kids!

I am also guilty of "dude" and "hella". :LOL:
Yes I also use the mood ring one to explain to ppl

It might be purely coincidence, but two days after eating her pinky Lily seems much peppier! Her colors are good, her eyes are open, her activity is better... and her appetite is back with a vengeance! Her aim is definitely still off, though. We'll work on it! :D

It might be purely coincidence, but two days after eating her pinky Lily seems much peppier! Her colors are good, her eyes are open, her activity is better... and her appetite is back with a vengeance! Her aim is definitely still off, though. We'll work on it! :D
That’s good to hear. Happy the pinkie helped her

Lily seems to be favoring her right eye a bit at the moment (squinting, frequently cleaning and rubbing) and it appears to be affecting her depth perception as just about every time she shoots she overcorrects to the left. It's much better today than it was yesterday, so her aiming woes may have been worsened by the 3-Biotic. It's a very oily, greasy ointment and my vet did warn me that it might blur her vision. To allow her to hunt more effectively I'll apply it in the afternoon/evening instead of the morning, see if that helps.

That aside, Lily's doing really well! She has a voracious appetite, and definitely knows where the feeder cup is... she's been hanging out near it after she's done basking just about every day haha! So far, her favorite feeders are black soldier flies and hornworms, followed by superworms (which she likes to eat either out of a shallow dish or handfed). She goes nuts for flying prey! I'll have to get some waxworms to pupate... I bet she'll love moths. Now that Rainbow Mealworms sells silks, I'll try ordering some of those as well! They're one of the few companies that actually ship to Canada. A pod of 15 seems overkill for 1 cham, but I'm sure Benny bird would be up for the assist!

The only issue I'm having right now is locating poop in her dense enclosure... I really need a fresh sample to float! Either she hasn't pooped in the last 5 days (possible), or it's hiding really well. Oh well - I'll get one eventually! She doesn't look bloated or anything, so I don't think she's backed up. Maybe I'll give her an extra hornworm to get her guts moving just in case.

Happy to report that Lily's doing awesome! She's eating ravenously, and has good energy. Her eyes seem just about healed up, and while she still occasionally squints during the day you'd be hard pressed to tell there was anything wrong the second she realizes you're looking at her! It's mostly just the right eye that seems affected, and the only real tell is that it doesn't move as smoothly as her left, and rarely rotates all the way forward or back - almost as if she's trying not to move it too much.

Her depth perception is still pretty off while I'm handfeeding, but I'm starting to wonder if she just thinks my fingernails are food. They're not painted or anything so I'm not sure what her deal is, but she's locked onto my fingers and shot at me more than once while I've been tidying her enclosure. I may have conditioned her too well by offering her a small morsel just about every time I open the cage! I've observed her sniping crickets and black soldier flies at ~6"+, so I feel it's a tad suspicious when she misses a super at less than 3" when I offer her a snack from my hand. :unsure:

Lily has a recheck appointment next week on the 31st, at which point we'll review her meds (which I've cut back to ~ once a day) and supplement schedule. I'm happy with her progress, and imagine that she won't suffer any long term harm from her somewhat rocky beginnings. Just in time, too - construction on her bio build officially starts this weekend! :D

Salty schnoz! Lily had some mineral build up today. Her mouth lesions are practically invisible now - looking good, little lady! :love:

I’ve watch so many videos of chams attacking keepers faces so don’t do it :LOL: Unless you want a chameleon lip ring

Well I mean, it wouldn't be the first time! :oops: I had one of my foster birds on my shoulder a few years back, and he was very fascinated by my chewing gum. Lightning quick, he got his break in my mouth and fish hooked me right through the cheek! :eek: Pretty sure I could have put a ring through it, haha!

Well I mean, it wouldn't be the first time! :oops: I had one of my foster birds on my shoulder a few years back, and he was very fascinated by my chewing gum. Lightning quick, he got his break in my mouth and fish hooked me right through the cheek! :eek: Pretty sure I could have put a ring through it, haha!
I’ve had a dog do that to me and that’s it. I would never put my face close to imelda, Larry on the other hand I’ve had all up in my grill and felt “safe” lol lucky he’s usually chill but will hiss when he doesn’t like me taking him off my head

Last edited:
I a few days ago I made a comment to my favorite pet shop employee regarding how much Lily loves black soldier flies. Apparently they've been picking out the pupating larvae and essentially discarding them if the store reptiles didn't eat them, because no one wanted the flies! So, apparently they're going to set some aside from now on for Lily (they're familiar with her story, and always ask for updates!), and I'm essentially getting them free! :D This is awesome, cause Lily loves the flies but is pretty much uninterested in the larvae... and this really speeds up the wait time!

The thing is, they were in an opaque container. Guess what happened when I opened it? ...yep. Flies everywhere! They must have been stimulated to hatch out with all of the movement while I was bringing them home, because they were fine beforehand. I watched them being counted! :eek: thankfully I was standing right by Lily's enclosure, and the door was open. Most of the flies are now in there, getting massacred. Lily's having a grand time! There's about a dozen flies in there, now. Probably closer to 20, haha!
Lily also seems to have decided that she doesn't much care for superworms all that much at the moment, and prefers her flies, hornworms, and crickets (in that order, haha!).

Back
Top Bottom