Lilly update

jeeperz21

I want to thank those that gave me advice on Lilly. We saw Dr. Mike yesterday and he said it was indeed Temporal gland infection and that she probably had been working on it before I even got her with as much infection that was in there. He said to also thank those that advised putting Neosporin ointment on it because it helped keep it from getting worse and spreading.
I could not believe the amount of green ick that he got out of that poor little one's mouth. No wonder she looked like she got punched in the mouth! She kind of introduced herself by climbing right up his arm and onto his glasses and he was surprised she was so willing to do so. She fussed a little while he cleaned out the infection and afterwards seemed to be ok with him for doing so. He said with how bad it was, she should have been a pretty sick little girl. but wasn't showing any signs other then the fat face.
She has to take a drop of antibiotic once a day for 10 days and I have to continue using the ointment and cleaning it twice a day. She is doing well and doesn't seem to be to bothered by her visit to the doctor.
Thank you all for your help and advice. I will be doing a lot more reading here on the site and learning as much as I can on taking care of our littlest new family member.

Thanks for posting the update on Lilly!
So glad she is on the mend :)
This forum is truly the best reliable resource for cham info and help.

It's always nice when people get their chams to a competent vet before the problem becomes life-threatening.

Temporal gland infections and sinus infections pose the danger of spreading to the bones when untreated.

Jackson's are susceptible to temporal gland infections and it can pay to get hold of some Hibiclens or chlorhexidine gluconate to treat minor problems before they worsen. You simply dilute the chlorhexidine before using it and apply with a cotton swab.

I've used it to treat minor temporal gland issues or cuts before they become major problems and it can sometimes clear up minor infections.

I love Jackson's and am always glad to help people with their Jackson's.

I've bred 2 of my best Jackson's and even have a few of their cuties in the classifieds https://www.chameleonforums.com/young-cbb-jacksons-females-133320/

Awww, this is fantastic news! So glad you got help for her. Jackson's are extra special chameleons. I had such a bond with my Monty. He would have been 3 years old yesterday if he was still here. One thing you can do to help prevent the infection from recurring is to feed insects that will fit into her mouth, as opposed to something a bit larger that may have wings or legs hanging out the sides of her mouth. They can occasionally get insect parts stuck in the corner of the mouth which can also cause infection.

Jackson's are really sweet. I got Monty when he was just 7 weeks old and he weighed only 2g!! He was 3 months old when we put up the Christmas tree, in full view of his cage, and he sat at the front of his cage the whole time watching us! :D Any other chameleon would have hidden away out of sight.

Awww, this is fantastic news! So glad you got help for her. Jackson's are extra special chameleons. I had such a bond with my Monty. He would have been 3 years old yesterday if he was still here. One thing you can do to help prevent the infection from recurring is to feed insects that will fit into her mouth, as opposed to something a bit larger that may have wings or legs hanging out the sides of her mouth. They can occasionally get insect parts stuck in the corner of the mouth which can also cause infection.

Jackson's are really sweet. I got Monty when he was just 7 weeks old and he weighed only 2g!! He was 3 months old when we put up the Christmas tree, in full view of his cage, and he sat at the front of his cage the whole time watching us! :D Any other chameleon would have hidden away out of sight.

Good points!

Their sweet temperaments are what make me love them so!

Years ago, when I first longed for a Jackson's, no one was able to keep them alive for more than a few weeks. I never would have dreamed that one day I would breed them.

They may not have the flashy colors but they do melt your heart!

They don't need colours - horns and personality are enough! I loved my Monty so much. He is very much missed - everyone who met him just loved him. He was a proper people cham. Toby is doing a great job at stepping into his shoes. Not quite so outgoing as Monty just yet, but we are working on it!

Back
Top Bottom