Mouth Infection, possibly a temporal gland infection

I’m not certain of the exact mechanism and what it bypasses…just know that it bypasses the body part/organs that make it work. @kinyonga @jannb @JacksJill could better give that detail.
“The renal portal system of reptiles allows for venous circulation from the hindlimbs and tail to course directly to the kidneys. Because of this, it has been recommended that medications should not be injected into the hind legs or tail as they will be conveyed to the kidneys, increasing the possibility of nephrotoxicity for aminoglycosides, and in the case of other drugs, reducing the likelihood of achieving the desired therapeutic effect”…
https://www.dvm360.com/view/acute-and-chronic-renal-disease-specifically-lizard-species-proceedings

So the vet said that he was confident that giving the shot in the back leg would work and that he's had over 20 something years of experience. In my book, experience outranks everything, but I think that he has some general experience with chameleons but not a lot. Perhaps I should show him this forum. Jojo has been drinking water like usual and eating ok and one side of his mouth seems to be healing a bit but the other side has gotten bad. Is it safe to swab neosporin on the infected areas?

So…once again…did the vet clean out the infected area? If he/she didn’t, then the antibiotic won’t work…it can’t/won’t penetrate the pus.

Maybe you should show the vet the site Inlinked to in post 23.

So…once again…did the vet clean out the infected area? If he/she didn’t, then the antibiotic won’t work…it can’t/won’t penetrate the pus.

Maybe you should show the vet the site Inlinked to in post 23.
He did not clean it out, but I have been trying to clean his mouth a bit. I will ask him to clean Jojos mouth on monday, as well as show him the site. Jojo has been eating and drinking normally. It is a problem that vets in Hawaii aren't that experienced with chameleons.

I am going to take Jojo to the vet tomorrow morning again for another shot. I will inform him of this site, ask him to clean Jojos mouth, and also ask him to give the shot in the front leg. Hopefully everything goes well. The Force is with us.

You might like to see this…I’ve never seen a vet clean it out this severely though….

I have returned. That looks like a very extreme case of TGI. There was a different vet at the clinic today and he gave the shot in the front right arm. He said to clean Jojos mouth I have to open his mouth and swab it with a Q-tip.

If you don’t get all the cheesy push out, the infection won’t go away.
I don't think there is any. Jojos mouth itself is getting better, and before the vet visit he was active but after his arm seemed to be bleeding a lot and there was a bandage covering it and some kind of red paste. I am not sure what it is for but now Jojo seems to be weaker. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

image.jpg

“It is crucial to treat any signs of mouthrot before it can spread, as some of the more potent bacterial strains can travel into the jaw bone and eventually erode it. Treatment of less serious mouthrot involves cleaning off any caseous matter from the infected area, followed by irrigation of the site using a syringe filled with either Povidone Iodine or Chlorhexidine Diacetate. In many cases the aforementioned will be adequate in clearing up any infection however, for more serious cases of mouthrot, a more potent injectable therapy such as Baytril will be necessary.”…
https://bemsreports.org/index.php/bems/article/download/55/46/85

I am saddened to inform you all thatJojo has passed away. After I took him to the vet again for his next shot, the different vet took a really long time and when he came out Jojo had a bandage. After I took him home his arm was bleeding a lot but his mouth was improving. I was worried about his arm bleeding but I thought that he would make it because everything was improving. He was eating and drinking water. Then the next morning he was already gone. I think the combination of blood loss and exhaustion has to do with it, but also from the vet intervention as well. I called the clinic to cancel the next appointment and told them why, and then later the vet called me and said he was sorry. He said something about Jojos arm being small and there being a lot of blood and also something about the needle, but I am frustrated that he did not tell me right after he administered the shot. Instead of telling me what actually happened, he told me that he was busy and thats why he took so long. I think Jojo fell from a branch, but he hanged on, and when I found him he still had one arm on the branch. I will probably post another thread about this in the other section.

Back
Top Bottom