Mouth Infection, possibly a temporal gland infection

DaChameleon66

Established Member
I have not had any problems with Jojo yet but about two days ago I noticed some swelling in his mouth and I tried to check what was going on in his mouth but he got mighty cranky when I would try to open his mouth and I didn’t want to make anything worse. Then later I tried cleaning out his mouth to see if that would help but it seems to have worsened. He is still eating and drinking water like normal but there is definitely some kind of infection in his mouth and any advice would be appreciated. I believe it could be a temporal gland infection because I heard that it was common in Jackson’s.
image.jpg
Sorry for the bad photo he was moving around a lot

That definitely looks like a serious mouth infection in that picture. He needs a vet intervention (one with chameleon experience) to clean his mouth and provide antibiotics.

Out of curiosity, what are your nighttime temps?
There is another problem. I don't think there are any vets that treat chameleons here on Oahu and they probably don't have any experience with chameleons. Is there a way to somehow treat it at home?

The temperature is usually around the 80s in the nighttime around this time of year.

Last edited:
There is another problem. I don't think there are any vets that treat chameleons here on Oahu and they probably don't have any experience with chameleons. Is there a way to somehow treat it at home?

The temperature is usually around the 80s in the nighttime around this time of year.
Those high temps could be reason he’s suffering from a TGI. Long term high temps affect their immune system, which then again cause illnesses like i.e. TGI. The maximum temp should be 65 and towards 50 is even better.

Like @MissSkittles said a vet is needed for this.

Hopefully this will help. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hello-reputable-vet-on-oahu.179735/ From what I found it seems feathers and fur was mentioned a few times. I‘ve no idea what kind of treatment the vet does for these things, but do know it’s best left for a vet to do and your guy will need antibiotic too.
I will check that out, thank you!
Those high temps could be reason he’s suffering from a TGI. Long term high temps affect their immune system, which then again cause illnesses like i.e. TGI. The maximum temp should be 65 and towards 50 is even better.

Like @MissSkittles said a vet is needed for this.
Ok, will try and lower the temperature. But I do have a question, how do the wild Jackson's survive if they can't control the temperature. Jackson chameleons are invasive to Hawai'i but thrive in its forests. Just wondering.

Interesting question, which I can only answer with assumption. I think they adapted over time and generations. If you would have a wild caught maybe 4 or more generation, it could tolerate higher temps then one of the first generation.

Nobody knows for sure.

I would assume yours is just a “normal” one which needs those colder nights to recuperate.

I also agree a veterinarian needs to prescribe a course of antibiotics and other care. It may take more than one treatment to get this resolved. If the first antibiotic doesn't resolve it contact your vet for another precription.

I am back. The vet gave Jojo a shot in the back knee with the antibiotics in it and said to come back around every three days or so. He also gave him canned food for dogs and cats for urgent care and said to feed him that from a syringe because he can't use his jaw well right now. Is that safe for him to eat canned food that is for dogs and cats?

So…if the chameleon is in Hawaii…it has to be from a wild population so it should be used to the temperature…right?
This time I got Jojo from a friend who I believe got him from a breeder, but he must have started out with some wild caught Jackson's from the forest because its illegal to transport Jackson chameleons in the islands. I'm not really sure and perhaps more research should be put into that question. My previous chameleon (the one in my profile) was a wild caught and seemed used to the temperatures.

I am back. The vet gave Jojo a shot in the back knee with the antibiotics in it and said to come back around every three days or so. He also gave him canned food for dogs and cats for urgent care and said to feed him that from a syringe because he can't use his jaw well right now. Is that safe for him to eat canned food that is for dogs and cats?
Unfortunately it sounds like the vet isn’t very experienced with chameleons. The antibiotic needs to be given in a front limb otherwise it just goes straight to the kidney and is excreted before it can do anything. For liquid nutrition there are better options. There is ReptaBoost which is reasonably priced and should be available at pet stores. You could make your own https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html or you could even just do what would probably be the grossest thing you’ll ever do in your life and mash up/purée some insect feeders into a slurry.

Unfortunately it sounds like the vet isn’t very experienced with chameleons. The antibiotic needs to be given in a front limb otherwise it just goes straight to the kidney and is excreted before it can do anything. For liquid nutrition there are better options. There is ReptaBoost which is reasonably priced and should be available at pet stores. You could make your own https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html or you could even just do what would probably be the grossest thing you’ll ever do in your life and mash up/purée some insect feeders into a slurry.
That is bad, I am going to call him to inform him of this. I luckily have repta-boost already so no bug mashing for me.

Back
Top Bottom