"Lightyourreptiles" chameleon lighting systems

2 - My post was intended to just help some of the newbies using the site looking for lighting options. I rarely ever help with noobs since I got tired of the "why does my $19 lizard need $100+ in lighting." I'm done with that. Go use the nice care sheets on this site.

Despite that, I felt like posting my thoughts and results with these great light systems. If they had been around back when I was trying to rehab imports they would have been a big help. Remember Vita-lites? If you do then I'll talk to ya, if you don't then you were not around back when that was the only reptile light to work with and beneath my notice.

I've seen all kinds of products rebranded. Don't care. I do care about the customer service however. Todd gives that and more. You don't even have to be a customer of his, he'll still help you. That's more than can be said of many other companies and breeders.

Personally I find your opinion in conflict with your claimed purpose of this thread. Its obvious in the statements you made that unless you are a veteran keeper and agree to your ideology, you want no part in assisting. I believe this thread is split. Should have been a thread about "LYR's great customer service" or "I recommend these lights". Somehow both topics got mashed together.

Customer service is great. I'm all for that. But your advise is to steer noobs to a good place for information, to a great guy to answer your questions and then NOT tell them that the same products are also available cheaper doesn't sit well with some. (and we know you don't care if it does:D) Your basically saying: "go to this company, and pay an extra $100 for his great advise and recommendations".

Exactly what information that someone like Todd can advise. I'm not sure what Amazon can give you (playing Devil's advocate for the sake of the discussion :))

Playing devils advocate here, I think that a web site as this forum can (and does every day) advise. I completely see your point, but in most cases if you read and search and ask on the forum you would get the same level of information. I say the same level and not the same information as even with Todd's expertise, he doesn't know everything. Its on the person who looking for answers to decide what they want to follow. I don't believe in a one "all knowing Cham guru" :confused:.

Where you buy the fixture is a wash IMO. If it's the same fixture, then you will have the same potential issues no matter were you get it from. If the fixture is reliable, them who cares where it's from. Your chances of issues are the same.

I suppose there are two camps here:
  • Those who prefer to research and decide what stuff to buy then search out that stuff and buy at the best price (bargain hunters)
  • Those who just go to first place that offers them what they need (advise and product) regardless of cost. (one stop shopping)
If your OK with spending more for this, go for it. I can respect that, but don't slam anyone because they don't agree with you and can show you the same thing for cheaper to give those looking for the same type of product an alternate but same quality product at lower price point. (not aimed at anyone, just the general tone of this thread)

Last edited:
No one cares that you pointed out a cheaper product, is was the way it was presented. You could say that a satisfactory product is available and provide a link and not seem in opposition to anyone, but instead, you painted a portrait of lightyourreptiles as a "bad guy" and continued to criticize his business model, when many of us that do know there are other sources out there and can find products that cost less, if we choose, respect and value Todd's commitment to the forums, the hobby, and his customers. That is in poor taste.
There is still evidence lacking that these products purchase from Amazon or elsewhere, whether they are the same as Todd's or not, measure up to the longevity, effectiveness, and reputation of Todd's business, with or without Todd's experienced advice being a factor.
Post all you want about cheaper products you think would interest people, but don't call out someone that earns our respect and our business for making a living off his carefully built reputation and the hours he puts into to keeping current and educating the community as a whole, or you will create this unfortunate thread.

No one cares that you pointed out a cheaper product, is was the way it was presented. You could say that a satisfactory product is available and provide a link and not seem in opposition to anyone, but instead, you painted a portrait of lightyourreptiles as a "bad guy" and continued to criticize his business model, when many of us that do know there are other sources out there and can find products that cost less, if we choose, respect and value Todd's commitment to the forums, the hobby, and his customers. That is in poor taste.
There is still evidence lacking that these products purchase from Amazon or elsewhere, whether they are the same as Todd's or not, measure up to the longevity, effectiveness, and reputation of Todd's business, with or without Todd's experienced advice being a factor.
Post all you want about cheaper products you think would interest people, but don't call out someone that earns our respect and our business for making a living off his carefully built reputation and the hours he puts into to keeping current and educating the community as a whole, or you will create this unfortunate thread.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Painted a portrait? I posted facts. You draw your own conclusion from them. I never said Todd was bad or his business model was bad. I made several comments that he has every right to do what he wants and people can buy from where they want. I usually left his name out of my posts. All I'm saying is that it appears that the LYR lights are the same as the cheaper Odyssea. Todd's reputation has nothing to do with it. If you are offended by this then I'm sorry, but it's on you not me.

I think some are ticked because the info presented is true and this may impact his business (which is not my intent). I find it in sad that reputable members speak in absolutes and have blinders to alternate idea's, supplies and methods, then cry foul when one of their bubbles of belief is potentially put into jeopardy. (once again no names)

I'll say it again, my intent is to show that quality products don't have to be overly expensive. Don't confuse my intent with this crap about LYR's business model or reputation. I have no problems with it what so ever. That doesn't mean that I wont compare his prices and equipment to someone else's and say "it's more expensive and can be bought cheaper here".

Painted a portrait? I posted facts. You draw your own conclusion from them. I never said Todd was bad or his business model was bad. I made several comments that he has every right to do what he wants and people can buy from where they want. I usually left his name out of my posts. All I'm saying is that it appears that the LYR lights are the same as the cheaper Odyssea. Todd's reputation has nothing to do with it. If you are offended by this then I'm sorry, but it's on you not me.

I think some are ticked because the info presented is true and this may impact his business (which is not my intent). I find it in sad that reputable members speak in absolutes and have blinders to alternate idea's, supplies and methods, then cry foul when one of their bubbles of belief is potentially put into jeopardy. (once again no names)

I'll say it again, my intent is to show that quality products don't have to be overly expensive. Don't confuse my intent with this crap about LYR's business model or reputation. I have no problems with it what so ever. That doesn't mean that I wont compare his prices and equipment to someone else's and say "it's more expensive and can be bought cheaper here".

I stand correct in that it wasn't you, that attacked Todd, it was another poster.
I will defend myself in that I openly stated that I use a mixture of products to get the results and I do not have blinders on to other options, but I'm also experienced with multiple lighting applications and usually have very specific needs, when I deviate from Todd's products.
I would still say that Todd is the most comprehensive source for hobby related information and reputable products and will always refer people looking for advice or products to him, unless they are like me and have specific needs that other products may meet better.

I stand correct in that it wasn't you, that attacked Todd, it was another poster.
I will defend myself in that I openly stated that I use a mixture of products to get the results and I do not have blinders on to other options, but I'm also experienced with multiple lighting applications and usually have very specific needs, when I deviate from Todd's products.
I would still say that Todd is the most comprehensive source for hobby related information and reputable products and will always refer people looking for advice or products to him, unless they are like me and have specific needs that other products may meet better.

Thank you for your comment. My "blinder" comment wasn't aimed at anyone specific and certainly doesn't seem to fit you. If I misread your statements than I apologize. I stand my ground when someone tells me there's only one way to do something right. I can be stubborn like that, but would never challenge anyone's rights to a free market and pricing as they see fit. My comments don't always come across well on forum texts.

Cheers(y)

I cant believe I'm getting involved in this, but I guess ill jump in, what the hell. Its pretty simple economics really, and I don't exactly get what everyone is pissed off about. At no point does Todd claimed to have created his own lighting systems. He is a licensed arcadia bulb salesman. He doesn't create the bulbs, or any of the fixtures, he researches, experiments with, and recommends lighting systems, LEDs, fluorescents, Halogens, etc. He also provides a service in recommending lighting fixtures and bulbs based on someone's enclosure setup and size.. He's a third party seller and not a licensed Odyssea fixture salesman. It doesn't mean he cant go to the same distributer that Odyssea uses to make their fixtures and buy some without corporate branding on it. It also doesn't mean that he ripped them off somehow. Just use your heads a little. The electronics in all of these fixtures are not proprietary in any way and aren't made in an Odyssea or LYR factory somewhere in Ohio, they are made by an electronics parts company in......you guessed it.......China!!! Its also no surprise that a third party salesman marks up his goods. A small business owner has to, to stay afloat. I get it, everyone wanted that extra few bucks in their pockets, but its not like Todd deceived anyone, and I wish I was on this thread sooner, to give the haters a little Econ 101. I don't think that the OP meant for this to be a jab to LYR, or the first couple of commenters, but it seems to have gotten a little out of hand in the whole " he's got some 'splaining to do" tangent. Todd doesn't, the same way Nike doesn't have to apologize to Jordan or Apple to whatever company makes their ear buds, or power cords. Its just licensing plain and simple. Nothing illegal, disingenuous, or duplicitous about it. Just as a side note, if you think that the people at Odyssea would have spent an hour on the phone with you talking about your enclosure and your hopes and dreams, then I am currently laughing in your face. Todd has literally no explaining to do. Your high school social studies teacher does though. I wonder what they were doing that day they tried to explain capitalism???

I cant believe I'm getting involved in this, but I guess ill jump in, what the hell. Its pretty simple economics really, and I don't exactly get what everyone is pissed off about. At no point does Todd claimed to have created his own lighting systems. He is a licensed arcadia bulb salesman. He doesn't create the bulbs, or any of the fixtures, he researches, experiments with, and recommends lighting systems, LEDs, fluorescents, Halogens, etc. He also provides a service in recommending lighting fixtures and bulbs based on someone's enclosure setup and size.. He's a third party seller and not a licensed Odyssea fixture salesman. It doesn't mean he cant go to the same distributer that Odyssea uses to make their fixtures and buy some without corporate branding on it. It also doesn't mean that he ripped them off somehow. Just use your heads a little. The electronics in all of these fixtures are not proprietary in any way and aren't made in an Odyssea or LYR factory somewhere in Ohio, they are made by an electronics parts company in......you guessed it.......China!!! Its also no surprise that a third party salesman marks up his goods. A small business owner has to, to stay afloat. I get it, everyone wanted that extra few bucks in their pockets, but its not like Todd deceived anyone, and I wish I was on this thread sooner, to give the haters a little Econ 101. I don't think that the OP meant for this to be a jab to LYR, or the first couple of commenters, but it seems to have gotten a little out of hand in the whole " he's got some 'splaining to do" tangent. Todd doesn't, the same way Nike doesn't have to apologize to Jordan or Apple to whatever company makes their ear buds, or power cords. Its just licensing plain and simple. Nothing illegal, disingenuous, or duplicitous about it. Just as a side note, if you think that the people at Odyssea would have spent an hour on the phone with you talking about your enclosure and your hopes and dreams, then I am currently laughing in your face. Todd has literally no explaining to do. Your high school social studies teacher does though. I wonder what they were doing that day they tried to explain capitalism???

Well said.

Basically the term "T5" is a fluorescent style bulb classification. The smaller the number the smaller the diameter. So a T8 sized bulb will be larger than a T5 bulb. In the current nomenclature, the word "T5" has come to mean not only the light (also called a "stick") but also the fixture.

The T5 standard has also been developed into bulbs that are UVB types (for our reptiles) as well as types that are great for plant growth. They are also HO (High output) versions that product brilliant light.

Here is some general info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent-lamp_formats

You can go to Walmart and buy a $10 T5 light for about $10, but the bulb and fixture/reflector will be very dull and not very bright. I would recommend shopping around and looking on the forum for a good brands of both light fixture and bulbs. Just don't fall into the trap that only "brand x is good". This thread turned ugly, but I learned that the same quality can be had for a lot cheaper thru other avenues. It's a real bargain if you know what you are looking for. Doing some homework before you buy can save you a $100 in some cases. Ask the forum if you have any questions, a great resource. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, I'm the noob. What does T5 mean?

Awesome sauce! Thank you!

Todd just gave me some great info about bulbs and fixtures, he's great! Customer service is amazing!

Thank you Todd!!

That's the whole point of my thread........ (y)

Ha ha , what a cheap setup. :rolleyes: Was it $100 worth of great info? Did you buy from him? (Not that there would be anything wrong with that) Or will you be buying from another vendor?

That's my point over the entire argument over one brand being better than another as many here would try and have you believe. (y)

Ha ha , what a cheap setup. :rolleyes: Was it $100 worth of great info? Did you buy from him? (Not that there would be anything wrong with that) Or will you be buying from another vendor?

That's my point over the entire argument over one brand being better than another as many here would try and have you believe. (y)

I would say that your assessment here is definitely crossing some boundries. Please understand that you are accusing "us" of saying one product is superior to another. I do not agree. I see many supporting a man who runs a business. All have read your question of weather or not the fixture is the same as the one you referenced. Most have stated their opinion that they stand behind Todd. Let it go. Your question is out there, and the result is what it is. Your comment that "many here would have you believe" is implying more than you can back up.
I enjoy the open dialogue here on the forums, but you now belittle those who are currently dealing with him. How does that make you feel? It doesn't seem right to me.
Your opinion is not the only one. Let it go. Your original question would have been better as its own thread, but that opportunity is lost. I still don't think we can get a response from Todd here because of the way the thread has been developing, he is automatically on the defensive, and nothing he says could reverse the damage for some, and that is unfortunate.

That was not the argument that had happened. There was a guy trying to bad mouth Todd. not about quality of prices.

I would say that your assessment here is definitely crossing some boundries. Please understand that you are accusing "us" of saying one product is superior to another. I do not agree. I see many supporting a man who runs a business. All have read your question of weather or not the fixture is the same as the one you referenced. Most have stated their opinion that they stand behind Todd. Let it go. Your question is out there, and the result is what it is. Your comment that "many here would have you believe" is implying more than you can back up.
I enjoy the open dialogue here on the forums, but you now belittle those who are currently dealing with him. How does that make you feel? It doesn't seem right to me.
Your opinion is not the only one. Let it go. Your original question would have been better as its own thread, but that opportunity is lost. I still don't think we can get a response from Todd here because of the way the thread has been developing, he is automatically on the defensive, and nothing he says could reverse the damage for some, and that is unfortunate.
Understood. My believe point has been made. It's not worth my time to point out the various statements made in this thread that would either imply or blatantly say that one product is superior to another. For the record, I was never against Todd or his business. I never meant to belittle anyone. I saw an established member as a noob question, then out of the blue proclaim that she had received "great customer service" followed by the OP's comment about the point of the thread. Seemed too suspicious to me, especially since I attempted to answer her question within 10 minutes of her posting. Maybe I read the post wrong? Sorry.:(

That was not the argument that had happened. There was a guy trying to bad mouth Todd. not about quality of prices.
Agree, it wasn't me. But there is enough proof IMO to show that on hardware alone LYR and Odyssea are the same. Odyssea is a value in price. Todd has the experience and knowledge for the customer service side. It's up to the buyer to do their own research and hopefully read this thread and decide from themselves where they buy from. (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom