"Lightyourreptiles" chameleon lighting systems

Plants usually do not do well in large cages with only uvb and basking bulbs unless you have plants that only require shade or are house plants. The quad fixture does not provide a basking bulb.

the fixture is a tropic blaze, if your cage is 36" wide then you really only need the 24" fixture at most because of the intensity of the light, plus you need room for a basking bulb as well. that actually exactly what my setup is. t5 x2 day, x1 plant, x1 uvb 12% in each cage. i went with 12% because of the amount of plants i have. also there's a plexiglass shield you can cut up to give low uvb areas under the light.

the fixture is a tropic blaze, if your cage is 36" wide then you really only need the 24" fixture at most because of the intensity of the light, plus you need room for a basking bulb as well. that actually exactly what my setup is. t5 x2 day, x1 plant, x1 uvb 12% in each cage. i went with 12% because of the amount of plants i have. also there's a plexiglass shield you can cut up to give low uvb areas under the light.
I can't find it under that name? The fixture I mean

they look a lot like the Odyssea lights I have (but am not currently using). I believe someone else posted they looked like the Odyssea. It wasn't until your picture that I recognized them for myself as very similar to a T5, 4 lamp hood.

EDIT, I just went to the website. Not a lot of good close up images. But what I did see looks IDENTICAL to my Odyssea hood, down to the fan. Even the image used has where the Odyssea logo is very poorly photo shopped off.. :cautious: (compare the fixture, not the bulbs)

LYR:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ho...dia-12-bulb-3x-daylight-bulbs-built-in-timer/
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Timer-Aquarium-Marine-Cichlid/dp/B01714RE7O?th=1

Great scotts, you're absolutely correct in that comparison between the two! o_O:cautious: Now please follow my following post closely...

I bought my one and only LightYourReptiles 24" Tropic Blaze fixture back in March of 2016, shortly before they switched to a new supplier to make them. The one that I have has vent holes for air circulation, but no built-in fans in it - and it also has no built-in timer like the newer fixtures so I had to go out and buy 3 separate timers for the 3 separate cords. I've never looked at the LYR site at pics of the newer designed fixtures they came out with last year, until now, because I had no reason to really. I had only heard about them and their new design featuring the built-in timers instead of having to buy your own timer.

Ok, now the breakdown...

Comparing the pics of the Odyssea T5 quad fixture with built-in timer to the pics of the newer version of the LYR quad fixture with built-in timer using the links you provided for us broderp, you are 100% absolutely correct. The pics are 100% one in the same except for one minor difference which I will point out now:

The LightYourReptiles link is showing a 24" fixture displayed in the bottom half of the pic because it has only 2 vents/fans, but it is showing a 48" fixture in the top half of the pic where it is showing 4 blue LED's (when it should have only 2 on the 24" fixture). I know that the top half of the LYR pic is a 48" fixture too because the 48" Odyssea T5 fixture ironically has 4 LEDs on it as well, same as the top portion of the picture used by LYR.

The Amazon link you shared is showing a 48" fixture displayed in all of the Odyssea fixture pics (so it shows 3 vents/fans and 4 LED's instead of 2 vents/fans and 2 LEDs like the 24" fixture really has). If you go to http://www.odyssea-aquarium.com though, you can read about the 24" fixture Odyssea sells and it only has 2 vents/fans and 2 LED's.

You can also see in this Youtube link that the 24" Odyssea fixture has 2 LED's instead of 4:

And in this YouTube link, you can see that the 24" Odyssea has 2 vents/fans:

So that right there shows that not only has LYR used a picture from Odyssea that is not their own, the LYR pic is also misleading because the picture they used has BOTH a 24" fixture (at the bottom) and a 48" fixture (at the top) displayed on it. Kinda confusing to a potential customer if you ask me...

Something else I find interesting is, check those Youtube links and watch them both all the way through. If you look closely, the "Odyssea" logo is on the very far right/front of the fixture in the second Youtube link I shared while in the first link, it's to the immediate left of the timer panel. That tells me that the logo is not built into the display, but is instead, a sticker or adhesive of some sort that you can rip off and move........ or....... take off altogether, kind of like what LYR seems to be doing when they resell them as their own....

No matter, you can still definitely see the crappy photoshop skills that were used on the LYR picture to try to hide the fact that it is indeed an Odyssea T5 fixture. Now, this begs me to question something....

Check out post #10 above by JGspecial. In the picture shared by that user, you can see three of the quad light fixtures from LightYourReptiles in use above the cages. Now look to the immediate left of the timer panels on all 3 of those fixtures (where the logos are typically located on the Odyssea T5 fixtures). There is no logo, at all, on the LightYourReptiles quad fixtures being used there.

Ironically, that's the exact same spot that the logo is placed on the Odyssea T5 fixtures though. Which makes you question: If there are no logos, AT ALL, on any of the 3 LightYourReptiles quad fixtures you see in the pictures shared by JGspecial, then what exactly is being blackened out on the LightYourReptiles site in their displayed picture? What are they trying to hide from you if nothing is there on their own fixtures? It appears by looking at JGspecial's picture that the LYR fixtures have no logo in that spot to the left of the timer, at all, or even ANYWHERE on the front of the fixture at that, so why exactly did LYR scribble some black markings across the picture in that spot on the left in their display pic on the listing on their website?

That right there only tells me that it is CERTAINLY an Odyssea T5 quad fixture and they are trying to hide the Odyssea logo from customers by scribbling it out on the picture they used on their own site. Otherwise, why would you scribble out an area that doesn't even have a logo on your own fixture? There'd be no point in trying to hide something if there is truly nothing there to hide. This tells me that they didn't take their own pics of the fixture - they stole the image of the Odyssea T5 quad fixture and tried to hide the logo on it, very poorly if I might add, to pass it off as their own. Why not just rip the Odyssea logo off completely and take a picture of it yourself that way so it doesn't make you look fishy as hell with black lines scribbled on your pic?

If you look hard enough on the same pic on LYR website where you can see the fixture turned on its side as well, you can see that there is indeed a logo on that one where it's turned on its side, but the logo on that part is not scribbled out because it is a bit hard to see with the fixture turned on the side. A keen eye will catch that though and a keen eye will tell you that it's the EXACT 100% IDENTICAL pic used by Odyssea on Amazon of the 48" fixture turned on its side.

I have posted the two pics from the two links here. The top pic is the EXACT pic I pulled from the LightYourReptiles site of their quad fixture and the bottom pic is the EXACT pic I pulled off of the Odyssea T5 quad fixture listing on Amazon. You can definitely see that LYR is trying to hide the Odyssea logo..... LYR has tried to pull a fast one on their customers...

The LightYourReptiles Quad Fixture pic, pulled DIRECTLY from their site listing:
LYR Quad Fixture.jpg

The Odyssea T5 Quad Fixture pic, pulled DIRECTLY from their Amazon link as shared by broderp above:
Odyssea T5 Quad Fixture.jpg

And that folks...... That right there pisses me off. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

. Lol. Only $100 more to scribble out the name.

It would seem so wouldn't it? On the LightYourReptiles site, it says in the description of the quad fixture that it "Comes COMPLETE with over 60.00 worth of HO bulbs. Nothing extra to buy, not even light timers!"

Now take into account everything I said above. It appears as if LightYourReptiles is purchasing these Odyssea quad fixtures, ripping the logo off of them, and reselling them with their own Arcadia bulbs. This might be the reason that the price is $100 more is because your fixture from LYR "Comes COMPLETE with over 60.00 worth of HO bulbs".......

I like to call people out on crap when I see stuff like this, just as I called out Climist for copying the Mistking and rebranding it as their own product.

So this is me calling out LYR for marketing a fixture as their own and insanely jacking the prices up. They even offer free shipping on Amazon for the SAME Odyssea T5 fixture, and LYR surely doesn't do that.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love the fixture I bought a year ago. Works great. But as for the new versions..... When a company is buying a fixture and marking the price up by $100, and advertising it as a reptile light, their own at that, so Chameleon owners and other reptile owners will buy it isn't exactly a great thing I would recommend people do. Real good way to upset some lads....

Last edited:
With all of that being said, I think @Venutus1 has a bit of explaining to do.... Otherwise, any time people talk about light fixtures, I will no longer recommend LYR and will instead point them towards Amazon for the Odyssea T5 fixture. I mean after all.... it's the same thing unless Todd can provide me proof otherwise and also offer a VALID excuse for stealing the Odyssea pictures to use as their own too...

I know I know.... LYR is a site sponsor and I really hate to call him out on this.... But if you don't think that crap is wrong to do, then you're out of your mind. AT LEAST use your own dang pics for cryin out loud...... I mean c'mon.

Last edited:
With all of that being said, I think @Venutus1 has a bit of explaining to do.... Otherwise, any time people talk about light fixtures, I will no longer recommend LYR and will instead point them towards Amazon for the Odyssea T5 fixture. I mean after all.... it's the same thing unless Todd can provide me proof otherwise and also offer a VALID excuse for stealing the Odyssea pictures to use as their own too...

I know I know.... LYR is a site sponsor and I really hate to call him out of this.... But if you don't think that crap is wrong to do, then you're out of your mind.
OK OK OK so your post just pissed me the hell off. First of all you know different companies sell the same product right if you don't your stupid. And who the hell are you to say they don't buy their lights from the same company. Considering they look almost the same I would say they they are made by the same company and distributed by others. And you said you just called out Climist......really dude get the hell out of here its called business and its how its done if you don't like it get the hell out of here. You cry like a 4 year old not getting their way. no now needs to hear your bullshit I personally know Todd and the creators of Climist and they are all great guys and BTW Climist works better BTW. And Todd doesnt owe you an explanation what so ever. You need to watch out before you start talking shit about good people because there are people like me that will back them up.

C
OK OK OK so your post just pissed me the hell off. First of all you know different companies sell the same product right if you don't your stupid. And who the hell are you to say they don't buy their lights from the same company. Considering they look almost the same I would say they they are made by the same company and distributed by others. And you said you just called out Climist......really dude get the hell out of here its called business and its how its done if you don't like it get the hell out of here. You cry like a 4 year old not getting their way. no now needs to hear your bullshit I personally know Todd and the creators of Climist and they are all great guys and BTW Climist works better BTW. And Todd doesnt owe you an explanation what so ever. You need to watch out before you start talking shit about good people because there are people like me that will back them up.

I never said that Todd was a bad person. He was actually a pretty great dude when I made my own purchase. Never said he wasn't. I also never said that Climist was a bad company. I just said I called them out on copying MistKing and failing to do anything original. But in my mind, everyone in their right mind now should buy Climist now instead of a MistKing because they are the same thing, but cheaper, and sold by a site sponsor here too as well. Who WOULDN'T want to save money? And you're still supporting a sponsor. I know exactly how business works buddy. I've been in business for myself before. Not trying to piss anybody off. I know how companies work and I know that they buy stuff from the same place. But all you ever hear people recommend on this form is light your reptiles. It's truly not the best of the best if you can buy the exact same thing for half the price. Why spend more money for the same thing? That's absurd. Just like the climist and the MistKing system thread I was involved in not long ago a few months back. Climist pulled the same shit with MistKing. Stole their product and pics and everything. Marty even told me about it. They stole his pictures, like literally the exact same pictures, and tried to market the item as their own. Marty almost took them to court over it, then they took HIS pics down and posted their own. Is that shitty of them to do? Absolutely. Should people save a bit and buy it though since it's the same thing? Absolutely.

Same thing is happening now. I just proved to u above and so did broderp with the links and pointing it out.

That's business sure, but bad from people when they can't be original. If u gonna steal someone's ideas, at least TRY to act a lil professional and not steal their pictures too. Thats straight up wrong. Otherwise, no reason to get upset when people start pointing newbies in the cheaper direction.

And for the record, Climist DOESN'T work "better". LMFAO. It's literally the EXACT same internals and EXACT same fittings. Don't believe it? Ask em yourself. Don't make me dig through my yahoo mail for ya just to post a screenshot of it and prove ya wrong. Literally the EXACT same thing.

Don't you know how businesses work and how it's done? :LOL::ROFLMAO: They didn't change a damn thing cept the sticker.

Wanna know what pisses ME off?

When people bitch about how "expensive" this hobby is and how a light costs too much so they "cut corners" and then all we hear is "LYR, LYR, LYR it's the best". It's happened many times since I've been a part of this site, on many different threads from many different users. Nothing else is ever recommended and if it is, the posts are few and far between and typically by newcomers. Maybe people be a little happier if they weren't overpaying on things sometimes when the same thing is out there for less.

Last edited:
Wow, Lots of research in the above posts. (y)(y)

I will add only a few things,
  • Perhaps LYR has a new line that the OP is referring
    • This still doesn't explain the clear resemblance of the lights above from Odyssea and LYR for any "older" lights
  • Being an Engineer, the possibility exists (though doubtful) that although the look the same
    • the electronic "guts" are unique and different from LYR & Odyssea
    • The quality of the electronics is not the same (This would IMO justify the cost difference to some degree)
My Odyssea came with 4 T5 bulbs. If they do, then there is SOME value to the bulbs they include. So you can't just say that LYR adds $60 worth of lights and this makes up the cost difference.

If the Odyssea sells for $70 with 4 bulbs. Lets value those bulbs at a low cost of $5 each. That would mean the value if the fixture is $70-$20=$50.

Lets do the same for the LYR. They claim $60 worth of bulbs. So the prices at $170, less the $60 is bulbs would mean the value of the fixture would be $110.

BTW, These are very nice for the price, I bought these and was still on the first set of 3 after over a year. (The 4th bulb was my UVB, which I changed every year)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZGASD...2WSWER1BXM5QKKPQ1&ie=UTF8&qid=1490718887&sr=1

I'll see if I can upload a short video of my Odyssea hood to youtube. Maybe a close up of it may show something. Anyone care to do the same for a LYR fixture to compare notes?o_O

I'm going to get flack for this.......flame suit and flack jacket is on ;)......... but my entire point here is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good stuff. It's silly when people claim only one brand is the best and even worse when these people are highly regarded and respected. If a brand works for you, go for it. Spend until your broke. But don't argue that unless you spend on this or that brand you are doing your Cham wrong or that some other brand is crap. So many people, (this is not aimed at anyone in this thread) appear to have blinders on and will argue to the end that you are wrong. Any noob coming here will only get a biased opinion from a respected member.

If what we believe to be true, Odyssea and LYR use the same fixtures, then it is WRONG to say that Odyssea is crap or inferior. In doing so you are making the same comment about the product you so admire.

I'm not here to throw LYR under the bus. I don't care if they sell rebadged Oddyssea products (or buy from the same vendor as Odyssea). I just wish that people would stop with the absolute statements. I'm smart enough to not buy from LYR and over pay. I think that even Amazons price can be beat on line, which further supports the argument.

On the Climist yes it is almost the exact same although the motor works a little better and the mist is finer when it sprays. and i have talked to the makers of it so i know this. And the fixture your talking about doesnt even have to right bulbs in it so you would have to replace them for the right ones. And look at your post. you have talking shit about Todd and giving him a bad name when you have bought one thing from him and don't even know him. When you go to him your paying for more than the lights your paying for his knowledge and his customer service to get you what you need. And how did he steal their ideas? All these lights are made from a company in china and then distributed to the USA/Europe. So tell me how he is stealing the ideas from the company in china that is selling him the lights!?!? you don't know what your talking about. Are their cheaper prices out there? Yes there is and thats business. A bigger company than Todds can order more lights at a time witch means they get them cheaper so they are able to sell them cheaper. Todd isn't a huge company and he doesnt have the mind set of one so yes i would rather go to him and spend more because he is knowledge able on what he is selling you and will help you with what you need. Todd doesnt make tons of money and he works at least 6 days a week. Todd cares more about helping people out than he does becoming rich so for you to even bring that up is totally uncalled for.

I'm going to get flack for this.......flame suit and flack jacket is on ;)......... but my entire point here is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good stuff. It's silly when people claim only one brand is the best and even worse when these people are highly regarded and respected. If a brand works for you, go for it. Spend until your broke. But don't argue that unless you spend on this or that brand you are doing your Cham wrong or that some other brand is crap. So many people, (this is not aimed at anyone in this thread) appear to have blinders on and will argue to the end that you are wrong. Any noob coming here will only get a biased opinion from a respected member.

If what we believe to be true, Odyssea and LYR use the same fixtures, then it is WRONG to say that Odyssea is crap or inferior. In doing so you are making the same comment about the product you so admire.

I'm not here to throw LYR under the bus. I don't care if they sell rebadged Oddyssea products (or buy from the same vendor as Odyssea). I just wish that people would stop with the absolute statements. I'm smart enough to not buy from LYR and over pay. I think that even Amazons price can be beat on line, which further supports the argument.
They are the same fixture made by the same company in CHINA.

Perhaps LYR has a new line that the OP is referring

Nope, he is referring to the exact ones you linked to on their site. No new models have came out since last year. As for explaining the stealing of the pics? There is no excuse for that in my opinion. Business is business, sure. But make yo own dang pics if you wanna be like that.

My Odyssea came with 4 T5 bulbs. If they do, then there is SOME value to the bulbs they include. So you can't just say that LYR adds $60 worth of lights and this makes up the cost difference.

If the Odyssea sells for $70 with 4 bulbs. Lets value those bulbs at a low cost of $5 each. That would mean the value if the fixture is $70-$20=$50.

Lets do the same for the LYR. They claim $60 worth of bulbs. So the prices at $170, less the $60 is bulbs would mean the value of the fixture would be $110.

They do come with bulbs. 4 of them.

Anyone care to do the same for a LYR fixture to compare notes?o_O

To be honest, I'd bet I just ignited a shitstorm. I'm all about people saving money though. One of the biggest reasons people fail at this hobby is money. No money for good food variety or good gutloads, no money for a good cage, no money for a mist system, no money for vet bills.... Money money money. Pisses me off.

Therefore, something like this is brought up and pointed out, I'm sure as heck gonna say something about it, get to the bottom of what's really going on, then recommend whoever is providing the better deal for the same thing. Telling people that they are cutting corners when they don't wanna spend $180 on a light fixture is not the route we wanna be taking here. Your LED setup is perfectly fine @broderp because you have the basking bulb for UVA and the you have UVB bulbs on top of that. As far as necessities, you are set. Getting told that you are "cutting corners" is what made me want to go off on a rant. Otherwise, I'd of kept my mouth shut and just messaged LYR about it to ask what was up with the stolen pic....

but my entire point here is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good stuff. It's silly when people claim only one brand is the best and even worse when these people are highly regarded and respected. If a brand works for you, go for it. Spend until your broke. But don't argue that unless you spend on this or that brand you are doing your Cham wrong or that some other brand is crap. So many people, (this is not aimed at anyone in this thread) appear to have blinders on and will argue to the end that you are wrong. Any noob coming here will only get a biased opinion from a respected member.

Amen to everything you wrote there. That's all I gotta say to that.

I too, am not trying to throw anyone under the bus. I really don't wanna give that vibe but maybe it was my wording? When I see any company do things like that though, it just annoys me. There's just so much talk about expense in this hobby, the next thing anyone would want to do is to provide a necessity item at twice the rate you can get it somewhere else. LYR is great and the fixture I got off them March 2016 is great too. Great customer service from Todd, no lies. Not trying to bring anyone down. But at LEAST use your own dang pics and put a LITTLE effort into copying the idea....

The point being is that I've heard so much crap about so many companies because just like you said, people here are so biased and set in their ways because it is all anyone ever talks about. When I started, I can't count how many lights hoods I asked about and got told that they were crap when in reality, so many people use the same ones with success. So I overspent and got what was "recommended", just like lots of the people here do. I'm moving to a house here at the end of the year and gonna have a reptile room, with more chameleons included in the bunch. I would have never thought to look towards Odyssea because I have never owned fish and it would have never dawned on me, and I have never heard of them mentioned here before. But when the time comes, I will have my eye on em, and I will be scouring the net to make comparisons with them as well, you can bet on it.

On the Climist yes it is almost the exact same although the motor works a little better and the mist is finer when it sprays. and i have talked to the makers of it so i know this....... And look at your post. you have talking shit about Todd and giving him a bad name when you have bought one thing from him and don't even know him.

I've talked to the makers of Climist too bub. Just sayin. And Instead of giving me a straight answer right away, they beat around the bush a lil bit to try to convince me that theirs is superior when it's the same thing..... As for me only buying one thing from LYR? Wrong again. I've bought the quad fixture, some bulbs, and a few of the Jungle Dawn Mega Spot Grow lights. I've talked to him quite a few times. Never said T. was a bad person, just said it's shitty he stole someone's pics to use. Sure, it's the same product from some same makers/distributors in China so not exactly stealing the IDEA, but nothing excuses stealing pics that aren't your own... (y) I've said my piece and I'm done here.

Last edited:
To everyone participating on this thread, pay attention to what I am about to say...

It is common practice for companies to sell products that they do not actually make. It is also very common for companies to use the same stock pictures for their websites as other companies. To accuse someone of stealing pictures is childish and just makes Todd look like a crook. That is uncalled for. I am not made of money and will never tell someone they have to spend more for the same thing, but there is definitely something to be said for customer service and product knowledge and support.
Over and over I and others have recommended Arcadia T5 UVB bulbs. I have also repeatedly praised Todd for being awesome and having amazing customer service and professionalism. I'm sure I could likely get the plant bulbs cheaper if I looked, but I don't look. I value @Venutus1 's sponsorship here, but more than that I am loyal to those who have earned it.

Hey people! I'm really excited because I'm planning on building a custom enclosure for my Veiled, Nik. I was looking at LYR for lights, since I've seen several raving reviews about them. However, all the lighting talk is getting me confused and I'm not sure what to buy. So, can anyone out there clarify?
What is the difference between 6500k lights and 12% arcadia lights? Links, advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hey people! I'm really excited because I'm planning on building a custom enclosure for my Veiled, Nik. I was looking at LYR for lights, since I've seen several raving reviews about them. However, all the lighting talk is getting me confused and I'm not sure what to buy. So, can anyone out there clarify?
What is the difference between 6500k lights and 12% arcadia lights? Links, advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
You have to understand what you're buying. You're buying "Light fixtures" and "bulbs."
The light fixture's job is only to power the bulb. Fixtures such as those from LYR contain reflectors which make the output brighter than it would normally be in a regular fixture without a reflector.
What goes into the fixture are the bulbs. 6500k is a measure frequency spectrum of the bulb. "12%" refers to the UVB output of a bulb. They're two entirely unrelated numbers.

Back
Top Bottom