"Lightyourreptiles" chameleon lighting systems

OldChamKeeper

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I just got my second quad light fixture from Todd over lightyourreptiles. Not a cheap purchase. The reason I'm sharing this is for all the newer keepers out there wondering if they should purchase such a bad ass lighting system.

I've kept a lot of reptiles over forty years. Used a lot of different lighting. The most common method I used was to buy a $20 dual shop light fixture and stick in it a plant light and a zoo-med 5.0. Overall I'd spend less than a hundred buck on that. Why is that description important? Because it's about the cheapest way you go with a chameleon. If you have less than that, you most likely got nothing that works long term.

In the picture below on the right you'll see one of my good sized holding cages. Notice how it is bright at the top and darker at the bottom? That cage has the shop light system. On the left is a larger more permanent home set for my female Parson. See how bright it is even at the bottom? The differences in the light's color/intensity? That's the new Quad fixture with two daylight bulbs, a plant bulb, and a 12% UVB Arcadia bulb (I use the 12% due to the height of the cage, the fact it shines thru a metal screen, and the animal has plenty of options to hide in the shade or use elevation). Very cool feature is that a timer is built in, I can turn off half of the bulbs if I need to, and there are blue led lights for a moonlight effect.

The #1 thing that makes keeping a chameleon expensive is not the cage, it's the lighting. You can make a cage, you can't fudge lighting.

I highly recommend Todd for lighting questions and gear. I wish this stuff was around back in the 80's
IMG_0690.JPG

I talked to Todd about Ryker and his light sensitivity and if he had any suggestions because I wanted to keep live plants with him etc. But Todd said for Ryker's health we should not change anything at the moment. Which means he did not sell me anything. Which in MY OPINION is a huge plus when dealing with a seller, that they care more about the health of the animal they are selling for, and know their products well enough they tell their customers "no you shouldn't change things at least at the moment" and I appreciated that so much. It made me feel safer and when I can afford the cost for my little jackson girl (I was going to do something a bit more simpler and therefore a smidge cheaper for Ryker (at the moment I'd be dipping into the vet funds to do something more expensive and I refuse to do that)) I will definitely be going to LYR.

Anybody willing to post some pictures of the actual fixture? I'm mostly curious as from the limited amount of pictures I've been able to find they look like Odyssea T5 fixtures. Wondering if they are actually rebranded Odysseas.

I'm toying around currently with the thought of changing up my lighting - there isn't wrong with what I'm using now (combination of T5s and 5000K LED flood bulbs), plants grow fine. I'm a tinkerer though and always have to have some project going ;).

Anybody willing to post some pictures of the actual fixture? I'm mostly curious as from the limited amount of pictures I've been able to find they look like Odyssea T5 fixtures. Wondering if they are actually rebranded Odysseas.

I'm toying around currently with the thought of changing up my lighting - there isn't wrong with what I'm using now (combination of T5s and 5000K LED flood bulbs), plants grow fine. I'm a tinkerer though and always have to have some project going ;).
I'm not at home but I can tell you they are definitely not a rebranded Odyssey. I started with that brand and it was crap compared to this. Broke in 6 months.

I just put all new Arcadia 6% bulbs in and 6500k odysseas bulbs in, I'm going to see how the 6500k hold up!

I don't think you have to spend big bucks to get good lighting. Those lights are nice, but cost prohibitive for many.

Your enclosures are also mostly hollow, meaning that the center most part is empty. If you were to add a bunch of plants then you would not get as bright a light towards the bottom as the plants and anything else you put in would block and create shadows.

Comparable brightness can be had with some simple LED lights and can be made for under $25 - relatively speaking. I'm also not speaking to the merits of the "go-to" UVB bulb most people claim is the best, but simply the overall brightness of a lighting fixture.

I have a "non-professional" grade UVB and LED light fixture. It was not enough, so I simply added my own 6200K LED lights and I have light all the way thru my enclosure. Of course my terrarium has plants that occupy the center, so I do have some shadows created by the plant. If I were to remove them, then the entire thing would be really bright as well such as the image from the OP.
full

Before I get slammed for this, not all enclosures and decor is the same, the OP's enclosures appear fairly large so he would not fair well with the same lighting I did. But not everyone has such large enclosures, and not everyone can spend $$ for those lights. I could however for under $50 triple my output, that may be enough to even cover a much larger terrarium.

With that being said, I can't speak to the quality and longevity of the fixture I made as it's new. I have no doubts that the OP's fixture is a high quality one and probably will last. In comparison, I made a small light about 4 years ago in the same manor as I did my new one in my terrarium above. It still works today, but what too small for the current terrarium so I made a new one.

The point is, there are options other than spending a lot of money. Any new person to the forum reading this thread shouldn't feel that they need to spend that kind of money to have good lighting.

Where were the LED's in the 80's!:cool:

I'm not at home but I can tell you they are definitely not a rebranded Odyssey. I started with that brand and it was crap compared to this. Broke in 6 months.

Before I got into chams I was into marine/saltwater aquariums for many many years which plays a little bit into why I was asking. The Odyssea fixtures have been in that market for years and the reviews on them are all over the map as you'd expect for an ultra cheap light fixture.

I'd still be interested in seeing some pictures as the listings on lightyourreptiles are pretty small and don't give you a great idea of exactly what it looks like in person. :)

nothing cheap compares to these lights, im sorry, you're wrong. leds do not give the cham what they require. they're just really bright and look nice, that's it. you can "get away" with cheap setups that "do the job" but overall down he road its only the chameleon that takes the hit.

(what is next isn't pointed to anyone in particular) its nice to have a chameleon but if you cant afford to meet its needs then you should really look into another pet. a pet owner who cares deeply for the pet they have should do anything they can to make sure it has the best quality of life. just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it. if it was a child than im quite sure you wouldn't cut corners and make sure you could give it the very best you were able to. its funny, the argument that you cant afford a $200 fixture, the cost can be very manageable if you put small amounts aside and should be able to be achieved in a few weeks time. i bet if it was a dog then the cost would be "feasible". lets face it, a chameleon is a luxury animal. it didn't ask to be taken from its home, bred, and put into an environment that isnt close to its natural habitat, not to mention very confined. we owe it to them to make sure they get what they need and proper vet care when they are sick. i really am tired of the "cost of keeping this thing" snippets that come up on occasion. sorry to sound douchey but i really don't want to hear it.

here is my setup using these great lights. lightyourreptiles.com is the very best site to use and they have excellent help for people who need it.

IMG_20161016_122417044.jpg

nothing cheap compares to these lights, im sorry, you're wrong. leds do not give the cham what they require. they're just really bright and look nice, that's it. you can "get away" with cheap setups that "do the job" but overall down he road its only the chameleon that takes the hit.

(what is next isn't pointed to anyone in particular) its nice to have a chameleon but if you cant afford to meet its needs then you should really look into another pet. a pet owner who cares deeply for the pet they have should do anything they can to make sure it has the best quality of life. just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it. if it was a child than im quite sure you wouldn't cut corners and make sure you could give it the very best you were able to. its funny, the argument that you cant afford a $200 fixture, the cost can be very manageable if you put small amounts aside and should be able to be achieved in a few weeks time. i bet if it was a dog then the cost would be "feasible". lets face it, a chameleon is a luxury animal. it didn't ask to be taken from its home, bred, and put into an environment that isnt close to its natural habitat, not to mention very confined. we owe it to them to make sure they get what they need and proper vet care when they are sick. i really am tired of the "cost of keeping this thing" snippets that come up on occasion. sorry to sound douchey but i really don't want to hear it.

here is my setup using these great lights. lightyourreptiles.com is the very best site to use and they have excellent help for people who need it.

View attachment 179122

Ok, I'll bite. Please tell me what expensive lights offer that any cheaper lights do not. Full spectrum LEDs from what I know are good for near natural lighting and good for plants. My plants grow like crazy under the LEDs, so much so that I have to prune them quite regularly compared to ones I have growing outside the terrarium. They also light up my terrarium quite nicely.

I reread the care sheets, and under lighting, all that is mentioned is UVB and basking. I have that covered. I have a UVB bulb and a heat emitter for basking. The LED's provide light. That's it. Where is it written that Chams require any special wave length, color or intensity of light to be healthy?

So what benefit does having nice expensive lighting get me? Tell me why $200 lights is the only and way to provide what a Chameleon needs. If there is a valid reason, I'd be interested with stepping up my game. ;)

So what benefit does having nice expensive lighting get me? Tell me why $200 lights is the only and way to provide what a Chameleon needs. If there is a valid reason, I'd be interested with stepping up my game.

The Arcadia 6% and 12% do cost more than the usual UVB ones out there, (about double as from what I see) but last twice as long. So the initial cost of that bulb will be a wash since you do not have to buy as often. The 6500k tubes are not very expensive. A 22" one on the LYR page is listed for $9.00. I use two of them so that is $18.00 a year, plus one Plant Pro that I think Todd threw in for free (It was a while since I purchased them) and even then I think the price for the 6500's was less when I got multiples. The big difference is going to the T5 fixture with the reflector. I was amazed at how bright it was compared to what I had been using. Yes, LEDs are going to work, but also have their limitations.

I know I will likely be buying Hope (I usually do 18" but if I can get a smidge smaller and still do linear lights that'd be nice) I don't want to overload her with uvb especially since she's a montane and though her cage is super heavily planted even in the usual baskig zones so she can get into shade with part of her body... I just don't want to have to worry. Ever since Ryker's eye issues I have been super weird about artificial lighting though Hope shows no issues with eye problems. She is a wildcaught though and probably has better genes as far as that stuff. I know I will likely be using the small amount I had saved up for Ryker's light to start a fund for some lights for her. Just need to scope out possibilities. I don't even think I need plant grow lights with her cage since she has a slightly smaller cage than Ryker and I never plan on upgrading her because she is so stunted it looks like a castle. The start up cost for what is the fixture is the only truly expensive thing at the moment. I could afford a light easy. But mom just got laid off and we still aren't sure about whether I will be able to work or go on SSI instead so I am saving like 5-10 dollars at a time for her lights when I sell treats. It's just annoying. Cause I want them because she would benefit from them in so many ways, at least now I can take her outside XD. I refuse to use the vet fund. That in my opinion is more important than lights as long as we have good weather. Oh that reminds me, I have to take a picture of outdoor cage progress XD

The Arcadia 6% and 12% do cost more than the usual UVB ones out there, (about double as from what I see) but last twice as long. So the initial cost of that bulb will be a wash since you do not have to buy as often. The 6500k tubes are not very expensive. A 22" one on the LYR page is listed for $9.00. I use two of them so that is $18.00 a year, plus one Plant Pro that I think Todd threw in for free (It was a while since I purchased them) and even then I think the price for the 6500's was less when I got multiples. The big difference is going to the T5 fixture with the reflector. I was amazed at how bright it was compared to what I had been using. Yes, LEDs are going to work, but also have their limitations.

A very good answer, thank you. I was concerned that a previous poster had stated that unless you use band "X", then you "don't care for your animal and should give it away to someone who will". People with blinders on IMO don't always paint a neutral picture for noobs or those on a budget or who are more frugal.

I've had lights with and without reflectors, good and bad reflectors and it does make a difference. I guess I'm more practical than most avid Cham keepers. If the visible light is on par, acceptable and poses no threat to my Cham, then I'm OK with it. I may switch to Arcadia UVB to see how those work out. After all, it's a wash with the longevity vs cost.

thats not what i said., i also wasnt pointing anything at you. i also dont own any blinders, they wouldnt fit me, my head isnt that big.

Well I am the weirdo who is using absolutely no artificial uvb lights with Ryker and if I can get Hope out for 40 minutes a day I will also turn off her UVB. I don't see a point of overloading UVB. Too much of anything can do harm.

thats not what i said., i also wasnt pointing anything at you. i also dont own any blinders, they wouldnt fit me, my head isnt that big.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your comments. Seriously. What lights do you have? they look a lot like the Odyssea lights I have (but am not currently using). I believe someone else posted they looked like the Odyssea. It wasn't until your picture that I recognized them for myself as very similar to a T5, 4 lamp hood.

EDIT, I just went to the website. Not a lot of good close up images. But what I did see looks IDENTICAL to my Odyssea hood, down to the fan. Even the image used has where the Odyssea logo is very poorly photo shopped off.. :cautious: (compare the fixture, not the bulbs)

LYR:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ho...dia-12-bulb-3x-daylight-bulbs-built-in-timer/
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Timer-Aquarium-Marine-Cichlid/dp/B01714RE7O?th=1

Last edited:
EDIT, I just went to the website. Not a lot of good close up images. But what I did see looks IDENTICAL to my Odyssea hood, down to the fan. Even the image used has where the Odyssea logo is very poorly photo shopped off.. :cautious: (compare the fixture, not the bulbs)
. Lol. Only $100 more to scribble out the name.

I have read through multiple forums and trying to figure this whole lighting thing out. So my cage will be 36 wide, 24 deep and 48 high.
I plan on getting several live plants.

My questions is I know I need a basking and uvb. Does this quad light do both? How do I know what plant light I need? What are "day time" lights like posted from the original poster.

I was debating the reptisun t5 36inch, and the dual light holder for a basking bulb and ceramic emmiter (which I'll need most likely during cooler times of the year) and now I just saw a plant bulb?
Can plants live without their own light?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help

I don't mind spending the money if I get the right stuff

I have a 48" quad fixture from light your reptiles and I love it. Here's a pic of it over my free range. Wonderful product.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom