Lighting question

Hanzthom69xx

:LOL::LOL:anyone know if I could use a Arcadia D3 T5 12% 24W 22inc in a Zoomed Reptisun T5 HO 60cm terrarium hood . And would it sit ok on top of a Cham ReptiBreeze cage? I’m new to this so don’t know if this is possible. If it isn’t the please comment what you have in place :)

What size cage do you have? Where are you ordering your bulb from? The zoo med fixture isn't horrible but does use space it doesn't really need to for a single bulb fixture.

I’m ordering from the reptile center website. I want to start of with the 46x46x92cm cage then upsize to the 61x61x122cm cage when I can afford it. My veiled Cham will be 3months old when I get him. I’m just unsure of what lighting I can get to fit cage and what is good. Thanks for replying

You're welcome, so an 18x18x36 cage right? You'll want to start with a 6% then move to the 12% when you upgrade the cage or stuff it full of plants so he/ she can escape the uv when it wants to.

Not sure if this is reputable site for you guys over there but something like this and the arcadia bulb would give better results.
http://www.nutriculture.co.uk/t5.html
The reflector in the reptisun fixture is dull and the unit takes up the same space a dual tube fixture does. Not hard to polish a reflector up of course but the space usage isn't optimized for small foot prints like we work with.

Yeah it’s a 18x18x36, Would an Arcadia D3 T5 11% be to much?. I’m new to all this so I do apologise if what I say sounds crazy haha.

Lol you're fine. If I remember correctly the 11% had a different uva level then the 6 and 12. The 12% doesn't really leave any vertical space to escape the uv. You can overcome that with a very dense planting of the cage though.

Right fabulous thank you so much! Lol I’d be lost if I didn’t have your help. Iv managed to get a grasp of everything els it’s just the lighting that has me frazzled haha

Iv managed to find another light. So if I go for the 46x46x92 cm (18x18x36in) ReptiBreeze cage, would this light be suitable. It’s an Arcadia T5 D3 HO 24W forest light lamp, it’s 6% ubv and 30%uva and is 2 and a half cm long (32in long) :)

A 24w t5ho should be 22 inches (55.8 cm?). That is the percentage I run on my 36" tall cages though...endless over stuffed with plants anyway lol.

But it's not really a t5ho. It's a power compact bulb which generally aren't as efficient at light transmission as t5ho are. I've only had compact fixtures over fish tanks in years past and no experience with that particular light as mentioned though. To put it into perspective, that one would likely be the "other pc" curve.

Screenshot_2018-09-07-16-53-15.png

Are you close enough to go into the shop and look at the reptisun t5ho fixtures? Not sure if they ran the same "special' over there that they did in the US but for a while the reptisun t5ho fixtures came with a free 5.0 bulb. May be worth the trip to look in person if you're close enough to the shop. As far as the compact bulbs and the first hood you linked, they aren't really suited for chams. We want to project a larger area of uvb across the cage then what those are capable of.

I would wait until you could afford the larger cage and the lighting for it. Buying multiple cages is a waste of money. If you plan on going bigger, just start there, you’ll save a bunch of money and your chameleon will be better off with more space.

Back
Top Bottom