Lighting and Fixture! Need Opinions

kirekameleon

Okay I have noticed that my one Reptisun 5.0 is much brighter than the other and I am sure I know why. The bright one plugs into the wall (110) and the other one has a cigarette lighter attachment which I bought a converter for 12 volt to 110. Now I have 1+year old and I have a 3 1/2 month old both males. Should I have the bright one on the baby or the adult until I can replace that fixture which would would hopefully be next weekend. I dont mind having it but I think it is for fishing actually and you plug it into lighter on your boat. There is my question, bright one on baby or adult for the next week.:confused:

Also, has anyone used this and liked it http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog.../exo-terra-light-cycle-unit-max-2-x-40-watts/ I have Calyptratus and probably will only have them for awhile. They come in 2 X 20, 2 X 30, 2 X 40 watts. Also there is two of them to a timer/dimmer which I think is cool for morning and evenings but since there is two and if the chords are long enough can I have each one to a separate cage or is this for a uvb tube light and a flourescent light just for lighing. If I can run each one to a different cage and UVB in both like the Reptisun 5.0 then I want it. Is there any difference in the Reptisun and the Reptiglo 5.0 besides the price and why is the Reptiglo less espensive.:confused:

kire

Honestly I would just got to lowes or home depot and get a linear flourescent fixture. I saw a bunch yesterday, I'm sure you can get a good sized one that holds two bulbs for 20 bucks instead of 50 to have on both cages at the same time. Or if you don't wanna do that there are fixtures about 2 feet long for $12

so do you put the bulbs in the housing?, which then is placed on the cage?

Not sure what you mean are you talking about the ExoTerra lights that dont have a housing, it just has end pieces and the wires run to the timer/dimmer. 30 minutes in the morning it wont be 100% bright and 30 minutes at the end of the day to. And can be set for 12 hrs.

kire

so Rob, where were you about a week ago when i needed a new light fixture??!
paid 47. at LLL for a 49" hood for my 48" light (which came totally busted up :mad: )
they are replacing

paid 47. at LLL for a 49" hood for my 48" light (which came totally busted up :mad: )
they are replacing

Hahaha, return it!

Go to home depot and you can get a 4' industrial fixture (double for a UVB and a light bulb) for $19.97!

I got 2 yesterday!

they are replacing

I didn't know lol. But I was so pissed wheile looking for regular incandescent bulbs. Turns out they are going to stop making them and switch to cfls pretty soon. I wish I would've known how cheap the fixtures they had were a long time ago because that's where I'm goin from now on :D

thank you!
now I have to work on my helix/ecozone, I was just given a heads up on the Helix!
I might be a girl, and need a little knowledge in the hardware dept, but I learn fast!

Suzi just mentioned she uses the reptisun and a grow light, i am assumimg the grow light would give off additional light? and you would get a twofer, lights for the plants too.

have either of you a like/dislike to either the helix or ecozone?

And a really big thank you to you guys for the info and help. not only for the enclosure ideas but all the cham info as well. its great to have such amazing experience all in one place!

The 6500k light I'll be using with the 4' shop light is in the "Daylight" part of the spectrum, so it's pretty bright. Besides, the plants get the UVB they need from the Reptisun ;)

I have not used the ecozone, sorryy

I have noticed its pretty dark towards the bottom of my 4' cages, I am glad to get help with brightening it up a bit
and my next question was which one, and you answered!

seems to be alot of lighting questions tonite!

Back
Top Bottom