Life-changing idea for hatchlings

While at a craft store, I had an Ah-Ha moment. These critter cages are perfect for hatchlings, especially if you want to keep them individually housed. It's all plastic, fruit flies can't get through the fine screen, it has a magnification window, and they are cheap. I have been using them all week and I love them!

yjatagus.jpg

e4y2unat.jpg

qagagyby.jpg

Last edited:
that is awesome. It's a little tote, viewing area, screen cage, etc... all in one.

I'd stick a tiny plant in there and wait for the chammy to grow

Great idea! How come you haven't put any plants in it though?

I don't have live plants because when you have many, many adults and babies, you have to manage how your time is spent. I used live plants when I had just a few chameleons, but it becomes very difficult to manage when you have many:)

cool, but why keep them individually housed?

Hatchlings from the same clutch can hatch at different rates, and some grow MUCH faster than others. You can't leave the big ones with the small ones. Ideally, it is best to keep each one individually to avoid fighting over food and tail nipping, but it isn't often practical to keep them that way because most of us don't have that kind of space. Or maybe you have one that you are observing for some reason....there are many, many reasons.

I like the idea, but I don't like the fact that the handle on top seems to cover most of the cage. If that is the case, have you thought about a way to ensure the hatchlings get exposure to a proper UVB source?

I like the idea, but I don't like the fact that the handle on top seems to cover most of the cage. If that is the case, have you thought about a way to ensure the hatchlings get exposure to a proper UVB source?

It's wider at the sides, so the handle just acts the same as foliage. If they need shade, they can go directly under the handle, but they are almost never under it. I tested it with my Solar Meter, they are getting the UVB they need.

I like them as an emergency cage for vet trips - seem like they would work well for that also - I'm sure it would work well for my flapneck but would one fit a panther for a trip to the vet ?
I also think I'll be bookmarking this page for later on in the year- around the same time I joined this forum with "help me" with my baby jackson there were others who would have been helped by cages like this-
I also like the idea that it has the handle and it's possible to move a baby outside for fresh air & sunshine without taking it out of his cage for additional stress- When it gets a little warmer I hope you lets us know if you try it for that -

It's wider at the sides, so the handle just acts the same as foliage. If they need shade, they can go directly under the handle, but they are almost never under it. I tested it with my Solar Meter, they are getting the UVB they need.

Looks like you thought of everything ;) Nice!

While at a craft store, I had an Ah-Ha moment. These critter cages are perfect for hatchlings, especially if you want to keep them individually housed. It's all plastic, fruit flies can't get through the fine screen, it has a magnification window, and they are cheap. I have been using them all week and I love them!

Few quick questions. I love the idea, but how are you misting? I'm running the mistking, and I'm thinking I really want to steal your idea (yes I admit it I am going to be a shameless idea thief here Muhahahaha). I have an arcadia 48" I think will work if I hang them on a dowel rod and secure the cages. How easy is it to feed the hydie I haven't seen them at my Michaels yet, so I think I am going to preorder some:)? I move mine pretty quick up the food scale, but my delicate ones I feed the small stuff a little longer. How long do you plan to be able to have them in there? I can't find the dimensions on line... Ok I have now asked all of first thoughts and am going to play with designing my chameleon room :) Shaunaroxanne, you are just awesome!
sharl:D

Few quick questions. I love the idea, but how are you misting? I'm running the mistking, and I'm thinking I really want to steal your idea (yes I admit it I am going to be a shameless idea thief here Muhahahaha). I have an arcadia 48" I think will work if I hang them on a dowel rod and secure the cages. How easy is it to feed the hydie I haven't seen them at my Michaels yet, so I think I am going to preorder some:)? I move mine pretty quick up the food scale, but my delicate ones I feed the small stuff a little longer. How long do you plan to be able to have them in there? I can't find the dimensions on line... Ok I have now asked all of first thoughts and am going to play with designing my chameleon room :) Shaunaroxanne, you are just awesome!
sharl:D

Misting is not a problem, just set your Mistking up above them. One nozzle will easily reach 4-5 of the little enclosures, maybe even more. I have a Mistking as well but until I add some additional nozzles, I have been using the hand-mister. Feeding is easy, you just slide the little door. Hydie can not get through the screen. Here is a link to the same unit on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-4045-Backyard-Exploration-Critter/dp/B003R68WF4

Back
Top Bottom