Laying eggs

My chameleon- veiled,female,unknown age,

Handling-Maybe like once every week and a half (she will go to the door of the cage when I walk in my room)

Feeding- mostly crickets about 10

Supplements- zoo med Repti calcium(without d3)

I dust them every time I feed her

Fluker’s reptile vitamin

About once every two weeks

Watering- dripper is always on, I mist her three times a day, morning evening and night. Yes she drinks a lot

Fecal description- white, not been tested

History- I got her as a birthday present October 5 2018 from petsmart

Cage

Screen

16X16X30

Lighting- Zoo Med reptisum 10.0 uvb

100W reptile bulb

8:30 AM-8:30 PM

Temperature

Basking- 80 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit

Bottom of cage- 75 Fahrenheit

Humidity- the meter I use always stays at 70-80

Plants- no living ones

Placement- near my bed, I use a fan at night but I cover up her cage with a sheet everying night to block the light

Location- Georgia

Question- my veiled chameleon has laid eggs for the first time she buried them and evening but she’s just sitting over the nest not doing anything. Do I need to do something or just let her leave. She’s been there for a while.

Best to leave them completely alone when they're laying eggs. Makes them uncomfortable and they really need their space. Hopefully she'll make her way back up when she's ready to bask. Here are a couple suggestions RE: your husbandry:

(1) In addition to the supplements you are offering her already, it is absolutely essential for you to use Calcium WITH vitamin D3 twice a month. Make sure to add this to her routine ASAP. I cannot stress its importance.

(2) If she is of egg laying age, then she should be moved into an adult-sized enclosure, stat. 16x16x30 is significantly too small for her. Upgrade to at least 18x18x36 (24x24x48 would be preferable, though) as soon as you possibly can.

(3) a 10.0 UVB is awfully strong in a cage that small, too. I would worry it could be hurting her eyes

(4) Your basking temperature should not be a range. You need to know the temperature specifically under the bulb where she basks. 95 F is 10 degrees too hot for her. It should be around 85

I think you would benefit from giving the following a very thorough read-through: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

My chameleon- veiled,female,unknown age,

Handling-Maybe like once every week and a half (she will go to the door of the cage when I walk in my room)

Feeding- mostly crickets about 10

Supplements- zoo med Repti calcium(without d3)

I dust them every time I feed her

Fluker’s reptile vitamin

About once every two weeks

Watering- dripper is always on, I mist her three times a day, morning evening and night. Yes she drinks a lot

Fecal description- white, not been tested

History- I got her as a birthday present October 5 2018 from petsmart

Cage

Screen

16X16X30

Lighting- Zoo Med reptisum 10.0 uvb

100W reptile bulb

8:30 AM-8:30 PM

Temperature

Basking- 80 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit

Bottom of cage- 75 Fahrenheit

Humidity- the meter I use always stays at 70-80

Plants- no living ones

Placement- near my bed, I use a fan at night but I cover up her cage with a sheet everying night to block the light

Location- Georgia

Question- my veiled chameleon has laid eggs for the first time she buried them and evening but she’s just sitting over the nest not doing anything. Do I need to do something or just let her leave. She’s been there for a while.
I believe we went over what to fix in your husbandry in a previous thread. As for your question, leave her be and give her complete privacy

She’s just being a good mama Cham and making sure she hides her nest well! Gravid females tend to go into autopilot when laying, sometimes it takes them a while to shift back out of it. If she hasn’t gone back up to bask by the end of the day or morning kick on your misting system, that always brings mine up off of her nest.

Best to leave them completely alone when they're laying eggs. Makes them uncomfortable and they really need their space. Hopefully she'll make her way back up when she's ready to bask. Here are a couple suggestions RE: your husbandry:

(1) In addition to the supplements you are offering her already, it is absolutely essential for you to use Calcium WITH vitamin D3 twice a month. Make sure to add this to her routine ASAP. I cannot stress its importance.

(2) If she is of egg laying age, then she should be moved into an adult-sized enclosure, stat. 16x16x30 is significantly too small for her. Upgrade to at least 18x18x36 (24x24x48 would be preferable, though) as soon as you possibly can.

(3) a 10.0 UVB is awfully strong in a cage that small, too. I would worry it could be hurting her eyes

(4) Your basking temperature should not be a range. You need to know the temperature specifically under the bulb where she basks. 95 F is 10 degrees too hot for her. It should be around 85

I think you would benefit from giving the following a very thorough read-through: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Yes thank you I am heading to the pet store to get the supplements, I’m also currently in the process of building a bigger cage and the temp has been fixed

So everyone has told me to make sure I feed her a lot and give her supplements but she isn’t paying attention to the crickets but she is drinking water.(she laid 38 eggs)

So everyone has told me to make sure I feed her a lot and give her supplements but she isn’t paying attention to the crickets but she is drinking water.(she laid 38 eggs)
Make sure to keep giving her extra water after she lays eggs, have you tried other feeders?

Hmmm... Could you get some hornworms from your local pet store? They’re great for hydration and usually irresistible. Rainbowmealworms.net has customizable combo packs, get red runners and butterworms with it, too. Your cham will thank you with all of the options/variety you will have given her!

Hmmm... Could you get some hornworms from your local pet store? They’re great for hydration and usually irresistible. Rainbowmealworms.net has customizable combo packs, get red runners and butterworms with it, too. Your cham will thank you with all of the options/variety you will have given her!
She’s drinking more water than ever so that probably good, and okay I will thank you.

Okay, so Rainbow Mealworms is out of butterworms, but Dubiaroaches.com has them, only Dubia Roaches doesn’t have red runner roaches. They’re both similarly priced and have smaller quantities of feeders for your cham to sample first. Once you find out what she likes, you can order bulk roaches from Full Throttle Feeders (try orange and ivory headed roaches, too!). PS- BSFL are also marketed as Phoenix Worms

Sorry I’m kinda new to this what does BSFL and BSF mean?
Sorry, BSFL stands for black soldier fly larvae, also marketed as Nutrigrub and Phoenix Worms, BSF stands for black soldier fly, which is the pupated form of the larvae

Back
Top Bottom