Laying bin medium

bradley

My female ambilobe will be coming up to 6 months very soon so i want to get her a laying bin sorted just incase she decides she wants to lay infertiles despite her lowered temps and reduced feeding regime.

With my female veiled I used pure play sand, damp so it was able to hold a tunnel. I can't help but think that sand could be rather hard to dig when compacted which could be wasting vital energy the female could do with. I feel compost could be easier and lighter for them to dig compared to sand. Or I could use a mixture of the two.
What d you use? what are your thoughts on sand?

Hi! I like to use a sand and Eco earth mix for my veiled girl. It makes a great tunnel and stays moist for a long time. It's also quite spongy and manageable :) my girl managed to dig a very long tunnel that she disappeared into!

I use sand for the first 2 inches, and then i use organic top soil for the rest.

I found the dirt does a better job than the sand for me. ANd my girl doesnt care for sand much.

how do you keep the mix humid all time long? I don't own female but thinking to have one soon enough. I will be placing the cage outdoor and with the circulation water dries out fast. It's still humid but I am worried the mix will dry out too fast.

Back
Top Bottom