Lay Bin

2134bean

After learning that my veiled chameleon is a female. I now understand I need a lay bin, I have watched many videos and seen that washed play sand and organic potting soil 50 / 50 mix would be perfect. I can only find washed play sand and was wondering if I can use that by itself for her. She's only 5-6 months old

After learning that my veiled chameleon is a female. I now understand I need a lay bin, I have watched many videos and seen that washed play sand and organic potting soil 50 / 50 mix would be perfect. I can only find washed play sand and was wondering if I can use that by itself for her. She's only 5-6 months old
Hi. Yes, you absolutely can use just play sand. In fact it’s preferred. Make sure your lay bin is at least 12” long and wide...larger is better. Fill to only about 6-7” deep and make sure it stays moist enough to hold a tunnel. As it’s hard to tell when they are ready for their bin, I always think it’s best to just keep it permanently in their enclosure. Make sure there’s at least one or two ways to climb in/out.

Hi. Yes, you absolutely can use just play sand. In fact it’s preferred. Make sure your lay bin is at least 12” long and wide...larger is better. Fill to only about 6-7” deep and make sure it stays moist enough to hold a tunnel. As it’s hard to tell when they are ready for their bin, I always think it’s best to just keep it permanently in their enclosure. Make sure there’s at least one or two ways to climb in/out.
I have made and put in the lay bin, it's damp enough to hold a tunnel but not sopping. There's a fake plant and a vine and umbrella plant for her to climb in and out. Any other suggestions? Thank you again!

Attachments

• 20210603_200932.jpg
    20210603_200932.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210603_200919.jpg
    20210603_200919.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210603_200905.jpg
    20210603_200905.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 95
I have made and put in the lay bin, it's damp enough to hold a tunnel but not sopping. There's a fake plant and a vine and umbrella plant for her to climb in and out. Any other suggestions? Thank you again!
Yup. :ROFLMAO:
Your sweet little lady will be nibbling on her plants. Mine really go to town when they’re gravid especially. To prevent risk of impaction, get the fake plants out and replace with more real ones. I hang my fake plants on the outside door of my enclosures to provide extra privacy.
Can you post a pic of your little lady?

Yup. :ROFLMAO:
Your sweet little lady will be nibbling on her plants. Mine really go to town when they’re gravid especially. To prevent risk of impaction, get the fake plants out and replace with more real ones. I hang my fake plants on the outside door of my enclosures to provide extra privacy.
Can you post a pic of your little lady?
Yeah! Well I was actually about to take out the fake ones. I have a pothos coming in the mail and I was going to put it on the door for more coverage in the front like you said, I just didn't want her to feel too exposed because she still doesn't like me too much. Also here are some pictures! The best I could do lol, besides her stuck shed which I've been told is fine because it's just on her back and some face, I think she's doing great! I really want her to feel very safe! And healthy!

Attachments

• 20210603_203118.jpg
    20210603_203118.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210603_203042.jpg
    20210603_203042.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 76
Do you have a linear t5ho bulb? From the photos, it appears you have a dual mounted fixture.

Yeah! Well I was actually about to take out the fake ones. I have a pothos coming in the mail and I was going to put it on the door for more coverage in the front like you said, I just didn't want her to feel too exposed because she still doesn't like me too much. Also here are some pictures! The best I could do lol, besides her stuck shed which I've been told is fine because it's just on her back and some face, I think she's doing great! I really want her to feel very safe! And healthy!
Looks like she hasn’t yet gotten her colors in. Pretty soon they’ll come in and at/around the same time she’ll get restless. This is her receptive period...she’s gotten all prettied up and is looking for a man. A few weeks after that ends, she can lay at any time. :)

Do you have a linear t5ho bulb? From the photos, it appears you have a dual mounted fixture.
Yes I currently have a T8 linear arcadia 6% bulb. I'm about to switch to a T5 linear arcadia 6% bulb but I have to buy a bigger fixure first. And yes I have a double dome, I bought the chameleon reptibreeze kit stupidly but I'm only using the heat bulb from it.

@putinand @MissSkittles this is the link to my husbandry info aswell as the forum where I find out I have a female not a male lol. Figured it would help. Please give me any insight or suggestions to my enclosure if you can, thank you!

Going back and looking at your husbandry, it all looks pretty good to me except a couple of things could be improved. Attaching the gutloading graphic. Try adding a bit more variety or something like bug burger. Healthy bugs = more nutrition for your cham.
Your daytime humidity is too high. Ideal range is between 30-50%. High heat + high humidity = respiratory infection risk. However...you say you have a fan running for ventilation. If you can’t get daytime humidity any lower, make sure the air is always moving.
The other things you already mention being aware of and making changes to.
A32D7DD9-52A4-424E-AA90-7DE7E848BBBC.jpeg

Going back and looking at your husbandry, it all looks pretty good to me except a couple of things could be improved. Attaching the gutloading graphic. Try adding a bit more variety or something like bug burger. Healthy bugs = more nutrition for your cham.
Your daytime humidity is too high. Ideal range is between 30-50%. High heat + high humidity = respiratory infection risk. However...you say you have a fan running for ventilation. If you can’t get daytime humidity any lower, make sure the air is always moving.
The other things you already mention being aware of and making changes to.
View attachment 302768
Thank you so much! Yea I do live in alabama and my ventilation for my house isn't amazing so the humidity is a little high but I always keep the door open with a fan and make sure there's never sitting water. Also thank you so much for the gutloading sheet! I will follow that and add more variety.

Back
Top Bottom