Laurie's Parson

I have spoke with several people in the EU and in Madagascar and all of them think the Parsonii coming from Bion are WC. If a person wanted to buy a CBB Parsonii I don't think this is the way to do it. The people I speak with are all very good and knowledgeable keepers. I know people want the cheapest price on a Parsonii, heck I even bought a pair from them, but this only hurts Parsonii breeders in the US and people who are thinking of breeding Parsonii. I as well as others have 10's of thousands of dollars invested in our breeding groups and housing setups. By buying from Bion you are hurting breeding projects in the US imo. People breeding Parson's need to be able to recoup some of the expense involved. I would be working with Parson's regardless but it sure helps offset expenses when you can sell a few babies. Bion will continue to sell Parson's here as well as other Calumma and Panthers at prices much lower than what we have seen and see currently, undercutting importers and breeders.

To me it doesn't matter really. I can't control what people do so I'll just keep doing what I do but it does bother me when people claim that their Parsonii from Bion are CBB or CB with no verifiable proof that they are. No legit pictures of parents, no legit pictures of eggs or babies hatching.

I'm just saying.

Last edited:
I have seen evidence that these Parsonii produced from Bion are Captive Hatch Parsonii. However there have been some recent post by Bion in the near past about the Parsonii that at they produced there Parsonii are captive bred. They have a huge new breeding facility now and know how to hatch Parsonii eggs. Whatever they were doing in the past, they are gearing towards a huge captive breeding operation that includes Calumma parsonii parsonii. The jury is not 100% out yet toward how they are producing their eggs. Although it seems they are gearing towards going toward the captive bred way.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Well seeing my boy, and the fact that Titan is a complete perfect example of a parsonii, and all 3 fecals were clear, all I can say is if these are wild caught Bion is setting the gold standard, and we to follow suit with what she is doing!!!

Well seeing my boy, and the fact that Titan is a complete perfect example of a parsonii, and all 3 fecals were clear, all I can say is if these are wild caught Bion is setting the gold standard, and we to follow suit with what she is doing!!!

I think the Parsonii produced in the US have been of excellent quality. I assume you bought from Bion because of the price. I understand that it today's world price plays a big role in just about everything we buy but you must understand the expense it takes to set up a breeding facility for Parsonii and why breeders in the US charge a little more because of it. Plus we can provide erifiable proof of hatching and lineage.

That does not answer the question if these Calumma parsonii parsonii are true captive bred. The clutch of eggs could be captive hatched and could have come from gravid wild caught female. Those babies coming from that captive hatch clutch should have clean bills of health and no parasites just like a true captive bred clutch. Either way.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That does not answer the question if these Calumma parsonii parsonii are true captive bred. The clutch of eggs could be captive hatched and could have come from gravid wild caught female. Those babies coming from that captive hatch clutch should have clean bills of health and no parasites just like a true captive bred clutch. Either way.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You know you could be right! But I have a beautiful, healthy chameleon, and we are happy, that is all that matters!

I am not trying to knock Laurie. Congratulations Laurie about finally acquiring her first Parsonii.

However this mystery of how Bion is/used to produce their baby Parsonii is a question that has been unanswered for a long time. Bion maybe switching to truly captive breeding now. However yeah as Craig said I would recommend to look to buy American born Calumma parsonii parsonii first.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I'm my experience Calumma calumma parsonii aren't large harbourers of parasites and what they do come in with is generally easily treatable. I can guarantee you that the Parson's being born in the US are every bit as nice if not more so than what's being sent here from the Ukraine. There really isn't that much variation within the color phases. Most Parsonii (OE and YL) grow up to pretty much look the same with maybe slight variations.

I'm my experience Calumma calumma parsonii aren't large harbourers of parasites and what they do come in with is generally easily treatable. I can guarantee you that the Parson's being born in the US are every bit as nice if not more so than what's being sent here from the Ukraine. There really isn't that much variation within the color phases. Most Parsonii (OE and YL) grow up to pretty much look the same with maybe slight variations.

Wild Calumma parsonii parsonii can harbor large loads of parasites. Sorry though I have not got the references on me off the top of my head. I have known keepers that have invested a lot of money to deparasitize wild caught Parsonii though. I think Ardi Abate has written about it. When I locate an article I shall post it.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

His thread has me sooooo excited I have a OE coming this shipment from Bion Any day now I'll be joining the crew!!!

Bion Bion has good chameleons, I have seen pretty healthy animals coming from them. I myself bought a CB parsons from a US breeder and got stuck with a large Vet bill within the first month of owning it and was not reimbursed even after contacting the seller within days of my concern. So imho I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Bion since you are not guaranteed a healthy animal buying CB.

Back
Top Bottom