Permanent Discoloration - post blood draw

lokiopolis

Established Member
Just wanted to preface this, I am not looking for any health help, my cham is doing fine, I am writing about something that happened almost a year ago, but I was just curious if any one else had experience with permanent discoloration from injections or blood draws, and wanted to share a little info about mine.

Long story short, back in January ended up getting some bloodwork done to diagnose an infection, got prescribed Ceftazidime (Antibiotic) injections for my cham, everything resolved pretty quickly after that. The vet did mention that once in a while injections can cause the skin around the site to permanently discolor. This didnt occur for any of the medication injection sites, but I have noticed that the result from drawing blood it has affected my girl's tail on one side. It still functions perfectly normal, and most of the time goes un-noticeable, but occasionally when she puts on a show of color you can tell at what point it stops along her tail, and sometimes it looks a little darker than the rest of her body. Below are some image, the first two are of the initial bruise, the last two are what I consider the discoloration:

postvet-tail.JPG
postvet-bruisedtail.JPG

Right photo shows her bruised tail after returning home from the vet, left photo shows how its only 1 side of the tail that's bruised, pics ~ Jan 11

august-tail.JPG

The photo above was taken after a weigh-in in August, about 7 months after the blood draw, still shows some of the darker hue that came with the bruising, it isn't as noticeable in person, I accidently had flash on when I took the photo and it made it more obvious.

Tail-line.JPG

This photo was taken yesterday (11 months post blood draw) when she was in a mood and showing off some color, you can actually see the line where the color change from the rest of her body stops, which when compared to the first image posted lines up exactly with the injection bruising.

I personally don't care about aesthetics, and value her health much more than whether or not her tail changes color, but just thought this was interesting to show an example of some of the effects of injections. Just to show she is currently happy and healthy, here's a more recent photo enjoying a snack:

Bugbug-roach.JPG

Back
Top Bottom