Larry's results from today's vet visit.

jake01

I took Larry the veiled in to see Dr. Strauss of Weston Road Animal hospital today. While the vet complimented me on my husbandry and said that Larry was perfect weight (200g) and in general good health, his stool tested positive for coccidia and pinworms, and also there was a yellowish discharge coming from his right nostril.

For the discharge, Tobramycin drops were prescribed (1 drop in each nostril, twice daily for 14 days), and for the parasites, Albon given once daily for 14 days. I also will be replacing all of Larry's plants and cage furnishings, as well as cleaning the cage in a bleach solution. Am I missing anything here or should this be enough?

It was Larry's first visit to the vet. I wanted to have him checked out sooner, but finding a credible vet for chameleons in Miami proved rather difficult, so I'm glad I found one who has owned and worked with chameleons as much as Dr. Strauss. Larry's next appointment is in 14 days, please wish him a speedy recovery, and if I'm missing anything, please let me know.

I'm sorry you got rotten news. I have not had the problem myself but Jann is taking care of you and she knows her stuff. You are in good hands. I hope for a speedy recovery for your guy.

I'll call Dr. Strauss tomorrow and ask him to take back the albon and prescribe the ponazuril...how do you think I should phrase it as to not insult his intelligence?

[Edit] thanks for that link for the cleaning, I will get right on that. thanks laurie i know i'm in good hands. i just wish i lived closer to a vet like dr. alfonso.

I'll call Dr. Strauss tomorrow and ask him to take back the albon and prescribe the ponazuril...how do you think I should phrase it as to not insult his intelligence?

Just tell him some forums friends had some bad experiences with the Albon and have found Ponazuril to be much safer for chameleons.

Just tell him some forums friends had some bad experiences with the Albon and have found Ponazuril to be much safer for chameleons.

Ok will do. He received a dose of the Albon at the vet's office, so I'm glad I posted this thread before having him on it any longer.

Ok will do. He received a dose of the Albon at the vet's office, so I'm glad I posted this thread before having him on it any longer.

A few years ago Luie had coccidia and he stopped eating the 3rd day after starting the Albon.....this was before the Ponazuril.

Yeah one google search of "albon and chameleons" and I want to throw the stuff away now. I believe it's not 100% albon but a cocktail they made at the vet's containing albon and panacur, to cover the pinworms.

Yeah one google search of "albon and chameleons" and I want to throw the stuff away now. I believe it's not 100% albon but a cocktail they made at the vet's containing albon and panacur, to cover the pinworms.

You will need the panacur for the pinworms so you will need to get that seperate.

I'm sure he'll make me a new cocktail of panacur+ponazuril. I actually mentioned to him at the visit that I had heard negative things about albon, to which he replied that he felt confident giving it to Larry since he was so well hydrated/ in general great condition. He mentioned another coccidia treatment that he uses with weaker/dehydrated/underweight chameleons...this drug might have even been ponazuril although I can't remember the drug name. Anyway, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Im also in Miami, is Dr.Strauss at the place called Avian& Exotic on Us1?

edit: Nevermind! I just re read your post. Could you PM me the address to this vet?

Im also in Miami, is Dr.Strauss at the place called Avian& Exotic on Us1?

edit: Nevermind! I just re read your post. Could you PM me the address to this vet?

that place doesn't even do in-house fecals (they send it to "a lab" and charge $100, strauss charges $20).

here you go

may be a bit of a stretch if you live in south miami, i'm north so it's not a bad drive for me. 30 mins- 1 hr depending on traffic.

[UPDATE] Ponazuril is on the way :D. Larry is eating/drinking well and acting normal as far as I can tell. This morning I gave him an "apology" 10 minute mist sess. after giving him his nose drops. The ponazuril was a special order, so it'll be here in a few days. Hopefully by his next appointment/fecal exam in 2 weeks the coccidia will be gone.

that place doesn't even do in-house fecals (they send it to "a lab" and charge $100, strauss charges $20).

here you go
may be a bit of a stretch if you live in south miami, i'm north so it's not a bad drive for me. 30 mins- 1 hr depending on traffic.
Oh wow, thats a rip! Unfortunately its the only place close to my house. :p

Thanks for the link! If I ever have a problem, thats probably where ill go. Even if it is a long drive.
[UPDATE] Ponazuril is on the way :D. Larry is eating/drinking well and acting normal as far as I can tell. This morning I gave him an "apology" 10 minute mist sess. after giving him his nose drops. The ponazuril was a special order, so it'll be here in a few days. Hopefully by his next appointment/fecal exam in 2 weeks the coccidia will be gone.
Thats great, I hope it comes out negative!

Today I got the ponazuril and gave Larry his first dose. I'll be going to home depot later to get some new cage furnishings, and somewhere....i guess a drug store, to get the hydrogen peroxide so i can begin the cleaning process. Not fun, especially forcing the poor guy's mouth open and he's literally looking at me as if he's saying "Dad, why are you doing this to me?" Breaks my heart, but will be worth it in the end when he's parasite free.

Today I got the ponazuril and gave Larry his first dose. I'll be going to home depot later to get some new cage furnishings, and somewhere....i guess a drug store, to get the hydrogen peroxide so i can begin the cleaning process. Not fun, especially forcing the poor guy's mouth open and he's literally looking at me as if he's saying "Dad, why are you doing this to me?" Breaks my heart, but will be worth it in the end when he's parasite free.

It is the look that gets to you. It always makes me feel like an ogre. Sorry kids, but it is what you have to do for him, so hang in there.

it's tough to hold him, get his mouth open, and inject the medicine with only two hands. next time i'll open his mouth and have someone else inject the medicine.

Back
Top Bottom