Husbandry Review for Young Veiled Chameleon that is Gaping

If the calcium phosphorus ratio is out of balance it will pull calcium out of the bones and tissues. Some insects especially crickets have a high phosphorus ratio. We give the calcium supplement to balance things out. They get plenty of phosphorus on their own. No need to add more.

Hi all!

I thought I’d give an update: Wisto seems to be doing better and has grown a lot (you can see the difference compared to when he first was with us in the first pic). He does still gape from time to time (with his mouth very slightly open), so I’ve started putting ice packs on the top of his cage to help cool him down if that's the issue. It does seem less so recently and only for a short amount of time. Since I’m in Florida, I also haven’t used my basking lamp (the plant light and UVB bulb keep his basking spot at around 78F—even if I only use 2 of the 4 bulbs).

The second fecal we had done also came back negative (I think we ended up doing 3 in total over a couple of weeks because I was paranoid). So we’ll do another fecal early next year to make sure he’s still negative

I did start feeding different insects, and currently have discoid, silkworm, cricket, BSFL, and superworm (as a treat) colonies. I’ve also been trying to pupate waxworms into moths since he loves the BSFL flies :)

His cage is on a stand so that he’s looking down on everything (and looks even more condescending now 😂). Next step is getting more plants (planned for tomorrow) while my pothos grows back

I usually just lurk on the forum daily to learn all the things, but thought I would share the progress. Thank you all so much for the help on all of this!

Attachments

• first week.png
    first week.png
    593.9 KB · Views: 41
  • hiding.jpeg
    hiding.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 32
  • karate chop.jpeg
    karate chop.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 41
  • leaf.jpeg
    leaf.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 45
  • morning.jpeg
    morning.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 39
Hi all!

I thought I’d give an update: Wisto seems to be doing better and has grown a lot (you can see the difference compared to when he first was with us in the first pic). He does still gape from time to time (with his mouth very slightly open), so I’ve started putting ice packs on the top of his cage to help cool him down if that's the issue. It does seem less so recently and only for a short amount of time. Since I’m in Florida, I also haven’t used my basking lamp (the plant light and UVB bulb keep his basking spot at around 78F—even if I only use 2 of the 4 bulbs).

The second fecal we had done also came back negative (I think we ended up doing 3 in total over a couple of weeks because I was paranoid). So we’ll do another fecal early next year to make sure he’s still negative

I did start feeding different insects, and currently have discoid, silkworm, cricket, BSFL, and superworm (as a treat) colonies. I’ve also been trying to pupate waxworms into moths since he loves the BSFL flies :)

His cage is on a stand so that he’s looking down on everything (and looks even more condescending now 😂). Next step is getting more plants (planned for tomorrow) while my pothos grows back

I usually just lurk on the forum daily to learn all the things, but thought I would share the progress. Thank you all so much for the help on all of this!
Wow he has such beautiful colors!

Back
Top Bottom