Larry's new home, please critique! (picture heavy)

Jonah S

Larry's 18x18x30 arrived the other day and I have taken a good bit of time to set it up. Here are some pictures of the finished product:

Pre Larry -
8.jpg

My phone severly shrunk the picture, sorry about that.

Cage stand -
7.jpg

I actually got one of those three door storage things at target and used that as the stand. I drilled some holes in the bottom of Larry's enclosure and cut a giant square out of the very top of the cabinet thing so the water drains into the removable bin so it can be dumped. The other cabinets are for Larry's supplements and random other stuffs.

6.jpg

Post Larry -
5.jpg

I have the reptisun tube laying up top, it doesnt quite fit diagonally all the way. The plant and planter is suspended by a wire loop running through the top of the screen and is hanging from the shelf. The 75 watt heat lamp is to the right, positioned somewhat far away but close enough to where Larry can get some decent heat. Does this look like a decent light setup to ensure he gets his heat and UV? The closet shelf is in a great spot to hang lights from so I'm trying to utilize that as best I can.

4.jpg

And now... Larry!
3.jpg

He was still kind of mad at me for moving him, hence the icky dark color.

2.jpg

I can't tell if he is trying to show his shadow, the temp probe, or me that it was his territory.

Last but not least :
1.jpg

A happy green Larry :)

He seems to like all the new climbing room and ledges. My main question is is the positioning of the lights ok and if not, what can I do to make them better?

Also, I have a big dripper that I attempted to set up but the water just pools on the top of the enclosure instead of dripping through it. Am I going to need to put a hole in my new enclosure :)() or is there some other way to ensure he gets some water comin down?

As always, thanks for all the help.

you dont need a to put a hole! Just go underneath the screen with your finger, tap and put pressure on the screen where you want the water to filter through and it will start dripping!

I tried putting pressure on the screen, it didn't really do much.

As far as the pothos, its just a pothos that I picked up at Lowes. It grows visibly every day which amazes me.

I have a problem with all the sharp bits in there: the chain, the bare wire and the thumb tacks. I think those are an accident waiting to happen. Look at some other setups for other options, of which there are plenty. I'm not bashing your project -- just trying to give you a few things to tweak for the safety of your chameleon. :)

I have a problem with all the sharp bits in there: the chain, the bare wire and the thumb tacks. I think those are an accident waiting to happen. Look at some other setups for other options, of which there are plenty. I'm not bashing your project -- just trying to give you a few things to tweak for the safety of your chameleon. :)

Like I said I'm totally open for critique. I checked and felt all the chain carefully to make sure it wasn't rough or sharp and all of the thumb tacks are in partially so they don't protrude at all. I will certainly take a look at some other setups though.

Just off the top of my head: you can use florist's tape to wrap bare wire, some people use fishing lines to attach their plants and vines, florist wire can also be used. If I think of anything else I'll put it in this thread.

did u get the dripper going?. Just keep messing with it...tapping your finger from underneath the screen. Its gotta work! I just got mine going a minute ago here!

I have a problem with all the sharp bits in there: the chain, the bare wire and the thumb tacks. I think those are an accident waiting to happen.

I was thinking the same thing. To hold vines and sticks I use 22 gauge wire. I do a wrap and a twist on the vine or stick and then poke the two ends of the wire out of the cage thruogh different holes... and then twist them together. The cham can't get hurt from the wire this way. I would also not use the chain on the planter. Honestly I'd repot it in a smaller pot, place it near the top of the cage and let the vines grow out. I would then get a Ficus or Scheflera and put that in the cage for the cham's main climbing plant and means of cover.

Another plant probably is in order and I will fasten the branches with wire and wrap the chains in floral tape. Do the lights seem to be placed alright?

Good idea to get another plant for the bottom. I think someone mentioned a Scheflera. Make sure it's a scheflera arboricola, which is the safe kind. From what I hear some veileds like to eat plants. I'm not sure I like where you've placed your basking light. I would do it so it shines down from the top, on one side of the enclosure. That way he can get away from the heat by moving over. Does that make sense?

It makes total sense, the only way to do that though would be to put it on top of the closet rack. It would still give a good bit of heat, may not be hot enough with the bulb though. I will try moving it and see how the temps get and make a decision from that point.

For the scheflera, should I put it on the bottom of the cage? There likely won't be room for two plants considering how fast my pothos is growing.

Could you move the tube light over and put the basking lamp on top? Is the basking lamp on it's own stand? If so, maybe put that stand on something so it's higher up? If it's safe on the closet rack, then maybe that's a good option. Where ever you put it, it needs to give your cham a proper basking temp, but also a place for him to cool off.

As for the scheflera, yeah, put it on the bottom. The pothos grows crazy fast, but you can wind the stems all over the place and it'll look great. Trust me ;) When you think there's too much you can clip some of the bits off. I wind mine around the vines I have, and tack them on the side screens. It'll look great, plus Chams like their privacy.

I have the basking light clipped to the top of the closet shelf. I will do some tinkering tomorrow and see if I can make it work. Do I need to worry about him being too close to the tube light? He likes to hang near the top and he can get within a few inches of the reptisun.

As long as there isn't enough heat to burn him, he is fine. Put your hand on it for awhile and see. Remember he's going to be there all day. Adjust the lights how you think they will work, then take some temperature readings. Make sure the temps you have are appropriate for veileds. If not, then you'll need to do a bit of readjusting.

It is good to tilt the lamp so the cham gets light from the side.. this is a bit more natural and doesn't make them lean off the side of the branch.... I have a basking lamp that is almsost sideways to the basking branch for my melleri, Henry. He will sit there or stand there for long periods of time warming himself. He even turns around to warm the so ther side lol.

Light at a angle like this also helps keep the cham from burning it's dorsal crest. In the case of Melleri it saves their lobes which burn easily. :(

Back
Top Bottom