Large Chameleon Suggestions?

Lindsey

I have been doing some research for my next chameleon. I wanted to get a larger species because I have a 260 gal mesh tank that is now empty.

I REALLY wanted a melleri, but I read alot about them and I am worried about how easily they seem to stress out. I don't want to get in over my head, and I also want my cham to be happy :p

What about oustalets? What is their temperment/stress level like? They seem to have the same care as a panther, just an XL variety :D
Any oustalets owners have some advice?

Or can anyone suggest other larger species that have about the same care/difficulty as a Veiled or a Panther?

We'll wait for some of the Oustalets owners (like Reptimom or Lizardlover) to chime in), but I'd also suggest a spiny (Furcifer verrucosus); they seem to be in the same size, price and temperament range as Oustalets, and it seems like you can sometimes get them captive bred.
(Or, for a mere $2500, you can have a captive bred Parsons!:D)

We'll wait for some of the Oustalets owners (like Reptimom or Lizardlover) to chime in), but I'd also suggest a spiny (Furcifer verrucosus); they seem to be in the same size, price and temperament range as Oustalets, and it seems like you can sometimes get them captive bred.
(Or, for a mere $2500, you can have a captive bred Parsons!:D)

They are awfully cute too!

Thats another reason I am weary of melleri. I won't buy a wild caught one, I don't think its very fair. And I think I only came across two people on my searches selling captive bred and born ones.

I agree with feeling bad for wild caught animals.... most saltwater fish come from the wild. One of the reasons I got out of the hobby. I just don't think its right.

2500!!! Wow...why so much. Imo panthers look way better....I would say a veiled does too!
Parsons export numbers are either extremely limited or curtailed entirely (I don't remember which, off the top of my head) and the details of their captive husbandry have not really been worked out yet; first- and second-generation (F1 and F2) captive bred animals have been obtained (rarely), but third generation have not yet, as opposed to veiled, panthers, and many other species whose requirements are better understood.

Here in Canada , you'll be lucky to find a WC Oustalet or Veracousses. CBs are almost unheard of here.

Also , keep in mind , that many of the supposed CB Parson's are actually poached WCs papered to look like CB through Indo.

Can anyone name 1 breeder that has hatched Parsons??? I;m sure they are out there, but I've never heard of who is hatching them.

Here in Canada , you'll be lucky to find a WC Oustalet or Veracousses. CBs are almost unheard of here.

Also , keep in mind , that many of the supposed CB Parson's are actually poached WCs papered to look like CB through Indo.

Can anyone name 1 breeder that has hatched Parsons??? I;m sure they are out there, but I've never heard of who is hatching them.

I really am not sure, but maybe Chris Anderson has. He always has unique species of chameleons!

Do american breeders not ship to Canada? I just thought it would be a little extra for shipping to another country. But I haven't actually looked into it.

A panther would work too. He would have the biggest cage ever! Swimming in a 260, lol. But not until he's an adult of course... :p

Well, I have both Melleri and Oustalets and both are great!!! My Melleri are wc, but in the 6 months that i have had them, they have done fine. They do need a large space. I have a 260 gallon reptarium that I leave open with a large ficus tree just outside the reptarium - so they go in and out - You can see pics of them in some of my past posts or check out Asmar in the Photo contest this month. Oustalet are also great and get large too. They seem to be a little more shy. I don't think you could go wrong with either - Just get them vet checked when you get them to check for parasites!

Lindsey, obtaining a cham from the U.S. takes up to 6 months in delays to get CITES papers and requires a USFW exit inspection. If you are patient enough , you might find a breeder that will do all that for 1 or 2 chams to Canada , but the cost of papers , inspection and shipping will probably exceed the cost of the cham(s).

Well, I would say that the best chameleon to fit in a 260 gallon reptarium, IMO, is....you guessed it, an Oustalet, Oustalets are one of my favorite species as they have such a personality, They are also (although underrated) good for beginners and have care that is quite similar to that of a veild or panther chameleon. Although I understand it would be hard for your to obtain one in Canada they are truly rewarding (as is any other chameleon :p)

My oustalet is very chilled and layed back, but he doesnt like surprises, he has nasty potential but is very good temperment wise.

Good luck with choosing!

So much of whether any cham is laid back, easy care, stressy and difficult depends on its origin and it's unique personality. Any panther can be easy, difficult, stressy or mellow. Same is true for melleri, veileds, just about any species. A calm cb melleri can be wonderful, quite friendly, hardy, and there are a few more around these days. Don't rule them out completely.

Most cb verrucosus won't reach the size of a big Oustaleti from what I've seen. I like them a lot, but the ones I've kept or seen were definitely shyer.

I also don't know what you are likely to find in CA.

I've only "met" a few Oustaleti that were certainly wc. One was very mellow (but I don't think it was acclimated enough to be showing its true personality) and one was very shy. Both were adults and had subcutaneous filarial parasites visible under the skin.

Consider a 1:1 group of fischeri for that nice large cage. Depending on the humidity level you could provide, a group could be very rewarding to watch and keep. Some of the fischeri are tolerant of sharing if they all have enough cover and space.

Back
Top Bottom