Large 2 Chameleon enclosure build

Is the plumbing going to be hooked up to the house plumbing? If not, I'd get rid of the air gap. It will just collect debris and get dirty. If not hooked into the house plumbing there is no risk of gasses backing into the enclosure.

Is the plumbing going to be hooked up to the house plumbing? If not, I'd get rid of the air gap. It will just collect debris and get dirty. If not hooked into the house plumbing there is no risk of gasses backing into the enclosure.
I thought about that and know there is no real reason to have a trap. My thoughts are if some critters make it to the drain hopefully they will drown instead of making it to the collection bucket and crawling out. Lol
The way I plumed it I can easily disassessable it and change it at a later date of it proves to be problematic.

94F5301A-40F9-4C52-9C74-A2A7026765CC.jpeg
6F0D76A3-8E11-4953-9090-4C48EF54CE54.jpeg
E3C966A5-9DCA-4C21-885E-2B27B51486A0.jpeg
4E5C586E-8F8A-4206-A40F-82EC5AB84B9B.jpeg
Slowly but surely work continues. Lol
Working on the making mounts for the cam style latches today.

2B43349A-DF95-468C-9B92-1A0E9E68DE49.jpeg

All the heavy portion of the excess silicone that squeezed out during the installation of the glass has been removed. Tomorrow if I find time I will use 0000 steel wool and alcohol to clean the class throughly.
Still need to install the cam-latches on the doors. Apply a final coat of the marine grade black paint. Install the screens and drainage. Hopefully by next Saturday the enclosure is complete.

View attachment 196825
All the heavy portion of the excess silicone that squeezed out during the installation of the glass has been removed. Tomorrow if I find time I will use 0000 steel wool and alcohol to clean the class throughly.
Still need to install the cam-latches on the doors. Apply a final coat of the marine grade black paint. Install the screens and drainage. Hopefully by next Saturday the enclosure is complete.
Looks amazing!

F43F920F-3A8B-459E-98DF-3F82A4075742.jpeg
E69376BE-B4B9-426B-B5FA-52E19ACD2A0E.png

Last night I was able to install the cam latches, put the final coat of marine grade black on and after touching up a few things decided to apply 1 more coat of clear to the inside. Later today I hope to get the screens installed and pot the new plants.

Looks beautiful. I hope you used no VOC stains, so that chams won't be breathing in chemicals that are off gassing...
In all honesty no. I used the most durable and proven products to seal the wood. In my opinion the key is waiting for everything to be fully cured. It has been approximately 6 weeks since the first coat of stain and clear were applied. The products I’m using are industrial 2 part epoxy coatings on the interior. The clear is very similar to what you would find on wooden tables and bar tops in restaurants.

In all honesty no. I used the most durable and proven products to seal the wood. In my opinion the key is waiting for everything to be fully cured. It has been approximately 6 weeks since the first coat of stain and clear were applied. The products I’m using are industrial 2 part epoxy coatings on the interior. The clear is very similar to what you would find on wooden tables and bar tops in restaurants.

I didn't realize that sealing and staining were the same thing. When I remodeled my condo, I used all no VOC stains so that there wouldn't be off-gassing for 10-20 years. Humans have some sensitivity to this, but animals do even more so. Anyhow, you are an amazing builder, that's for sure!

FC8012C1-776D-41A5-AF60-39D5148478BF.jpeg
EEB7F52A-1695-410C-9217-DC81F84C5958.jpeg

Back at it after the holiday and being sick for a couple days. Started installing the lighting today.
So far I have mounted four 7500k leds ( they are approximately 2700 lumes each) and a twin tube T-5 HO florescent fixture. I still have two 48” led strips to install along with the basking heat sorce and the DC inverter for the LEDs. If my estimates are correct my light will be equivalent to about 7 T5 HO bulbs. Hopefully back to wiring Friday.

Back
Top Bottom