Ladybugs?

spadefish

Anyone know whether ladybugs are ok to eat? I have access to hundreds of them. Since my tavetanas eat anything that moves, I'm thinking they might be a nice treat.

aposematic feeders

I have been told not to feed them. The bright colors are known for toxic animals.
this is true, insects that have brightly opposing colors(most often yellow and black, red and black or orange and black) are referred to as aposematic, meaning , the bright colors are an indication of their impalatability, or even toxicity, and generally speaking should never be fed in large qty. another example of aposematic feeders would be brightly colored caterpillars. jmo

Yes, though i did not know that until i had a chameleon. I used to feed them to my tree frog and it never did anything to him though.

thats a really good question, i believe they do. fireflies are actually a beetle. there are feeders that are still undesireable whether technically aposematic or not. i think there are a lot of beetles that give off undesireable tasting or smelling secretions. i think the key is to give everything in moderation. i am sure that chams probably eat aposematic or other less than desireable feeders in the wild all of the time without any lasting harm, but probably learn quickly as to which feeders to avoid. unlike chams in captivity, chams in the wild, have a never ending smorgasboard of alternative feeders to fall back on. so i think as long as there is plenty of variety available, and unknown or questionable feeders are always given in moderation, your cham will be able to decide which feeders are unacceptable. of course there are exceptions, any feeder that has an obvious ability to sting or bite (like bees or centipedes) should be avoided whether aposematic or not. for an added measure of safety, when feeding new or untested wc feeders, there are a #of bug identification sites and search engines on the web http://www.amentsoc.org/insects/what-bug-is-this/ it never hurts to find out a little bit about what you are feeding http://hymfiles.biosci.ohio-state.edu/projects/FFiles/frfact.html jmo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom