Kismet's Bioactive Build Progression

On the topic of ferns! I poached one from my christmas arrangement. Nothing is sacred! :ROFLMAO: I'll trim up the leggy bits and let it do its thing. :p

IMG-20191230-WA0006.jpeg

20191230_185115.jpg

Looks great, I've been thinking of adding some air plants to my enclosure walls as well. Just been too lazy/busy with the holidays. Maybe beginning of the year I'll get to it.

Finally got a new phone/camera today, and I figured I'd whip up a space to compile updates pertaining to Kismet's bioactive enclosure! This thing is my pet project, and I love to share it and hear feedback. I'm always looking for more things to tinker with, and it'll never truly be "done" - one of my favorite things about it!

I'm currently contemplating swapping the Meyer's lemon out for a hibiscus or similar water loving plant. She's struggling with all the water going through the system! The moss is definitely a goner now, but it still adds some nice texture so I'm not mad at it. I'll probably try harvesting some fresh stuff in the spring! By then I ought to have purchased some extra nozzles, and it might stand a better chance. Maybe, haha!

Enclosure: 36x18x36 ExoTerra. Front glass doors have been replaced by a screen panel for better airflow (mostly because I dropped/shattered a door :oops:)

Lighting: x2 HLG 65 quantum boards, suspended 8" off the top, as well as a 36" 5.0 UVB.

Watering: Currently handmisting - haven't dug out my MistKing yet since moving! I enjoy the process, anyway. 2-3 times a day, about 2 minutes per session or until I get everything appropriately watered.

Plant List (in no particular order):

• Meyer's Lemon
  • Small leaf Virginia creeper (sugar vine)
  • "wintergreen" club moss (Selaginella kraussiana)
  • Fittonia nerve plant
  • varigated creeping fig
  • creeping fig
  • Various mosses (locally foraged)
  • various airplants (tillandsia sp.)
  • fluffy ruffles boston fern
  • macodes sanderiana (jewel orchid)
  • macodes petola (jewel orchid)
  • dossinia marmorata (jewel orchid)
  • varigated heart leaf philodendron
  • neon philodendron
  • lipstick vine (Aeschynanthus sp.)
  • flaming sword bromeliad
  • Neoregalia chiquita Linda
  • neoregalia Fireball
  • neoregalia gorion
  • Purple wandering jew
Front:

View attachment 254549

Right across:

View attachment 254550

Left across:

View attachment 254552

With the screen panel attached and my ghetto hood in frame (I'll make a nice one some day, haha!):

View attachment 254553
What is the name of the plant that Kismet is on in these photos? It looks like a cool plant.

Looks great, I've been thinking of adding some air plants to my enclosure walls as well. Just been too lazy/busy with the holidays. Maybe beginning of the year I'll get to it.

Highly recommend them! They're doing very well. Just make sure that where ever you put them has reasonable drainage, or they'll start rotting out at the base. They really don't like prolonged moisture around their roots! Nearly lost one or two before I realized what was going on when I had them directly plugged into little holes in the wall. :oops:

What is the name of the plant that Kismet is on in these photos? It looks like a cool plant.

The red one up top? That's a neoregalia "fireball" :)

Did a bit of reorganizing, and cycled out my Brazil philodendron after it sustained some Kismet related damages. In it's place, I put a hoya carnosa 'rubra' (Krimson Princess) cutting. It's out of direct spray and hoyas like humidity (just not soggy soil), so I'm hoping it likes it there! I needed to pull the nerve plant as well - for whatever reason, my CuC was devouring it, regardless of how much/often I fed them. It's an ongoing battle, haha!

Strong growth on the peace Lily, wandering jew, and creeping fig, and the sugar vine has a bunch of new shoots going out. Everyone seems pretty happy!

20200125_111356.jpg

20200125_111605.jpg

20200125_111519.jpg

Hello, I know that this form is a bit old, but I am knew to the chameleon forums and was hoping that you could help me out. I am going to set up a bioactive veiled chameleon tank soon. (I have more time now because I don’t want to buy my cham now and risk getting quarantined and not be able to buy food). I was wondering what do you use for drainage? I have been trying to find solutions recently because I have the same tank that you have and the bottom is glass and id rather not have to drill in it.
How much money and time did it take you to set this up?

thanks, I hope that you see this and can respond. I will read your other threads in the meantime and try to see if I can find any answers to the questions as I was recommended by someone to read your threads.
Thanks again

Hello, I know that this form is a bit old, but I am knew to the chameleon forums and was hoping that you could help me out. I am going to set up a bioactive veiled chameleon tank soon. (I have more time now because I don’t want to buy my cham now and risk getting quarantined and not be able to buy food). I was wondering what do you use for drainage? I have been trying to find solutions recently because I have the same tank that you have and the bottom is glass and id rather not have to drill in it.

thanks, I hope that you see this and can respond. I will read your other threads in the meantime and try to see if I can find any answers to the questions as I was recommended by someone to read your threads.
Thanks again

Hi there! Check out this blog by Cyberlocc. It outlines the basics of bioactivity, and is very similar to what I've done.

I genuinely don't have a good grasp of expenses or time taken on this build, as materials were gathered and built over the course of about 4 months. I'd wager somewhere in the ballpark of $1200 and about 20 hours (not including drying time), but I've never been good as estimation!

Hi there! Check out this blog by Cyberlocc. It outlines the basics of bioactivity, and is very similar to what I've done.

I genuinely don't have a good grasp of expenses or time taken on this build, as materials were gathered and built over the course of about 4 months. I'd wager somewhere in the ballpark of $1200 and about 20 hours (not including drying time), but I've never been good as estimation!
Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to say this earlier, but do you have any good resources/ tutorials for custom background designing?

Thanks again
Are you planning on using the same background as the one used in the thread?

Back
Top Bottom