Kenyan Ch. hoehnelii + Ch. j. jacksonii!!

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
I convinced Mike (http://www.flchams.com) to let me share a couple pics he sent me tonight. I just bought some Farm Raised F1 Kenyan Ch. hoehnelii and Ch. jacksonii jacksonii from him and am pretty excited to get them. Kenya hasn't legally exported any chameleons for many years. The Kenyan Ch. hoehnelii are extremely nice animals and the Ch. jacksonii jacksonii can be some of the most colorful of the jackson's subspecies. The females also often have 3 horns, just like the males. There really haven't been any specimens of either species available for quite a few years so I'm looking forward to getting my group and thought I'd share pics with you all. These pics were taken just out of the box and as you can see, they look very healthy!

Male Ch. jacksonii jacksonii:
44fz2n7.jpg

Female Ch. jacksonii jacksonii:
3zve2qa.jpg

Male Ch. hoehnelii:
47uki20.jpg

Female Ch. hoehnelii:
49a9xmf.jpg

I'll be sure to post more pics when they arrive! Hope you enjoy the pics

Chris

Chris,

Wow look at those SOLID limbs! those guys have had some hardy meals and retained great weight through the shipping! I hope they do well for you, it seems like Mt Merus are the new jacksonii fad (Which I completely understand! :p) but I have always loved the giant females that you see from time to time of the nominate sp.

Do you believe that there's any chance of seeing T. johnstonii imported in the coming few years?

I thought the Kenyan government considered them a "game species" and all you had to get was a "take" permit. From my understanding these permits where several hundred US dollars. I did not know it was illegal or is it just illegal for the actual goverment to be involved with the deporting of them?

Regardless great looking pictures. I have only seen a couple shots of true Jacksonii Jacksonii.

They're only a game species requiring a "take" permit if you get them legally.... The way Mike gets them isn't.... Nevermind LOL....

(To clarify, I am only kidding)

Last edited:
I just realized that I said they where deporting Jacksons out of Kenya. I guess all them years of being in Texas close to the border has me worried about the INS.

I thought the Kenyan government considered them a "game species" and all you had to get was a "take" permit. From my understanding these permits where several hundred US dollars. I did not know it was illegal or is it just illegal for the actual goverment to be involved with the deporting of them?

Regardless great looking pictures. I have only seen a couple shots of true Jacksonii Jacksonii.

Jordan,

I've never heard anything about Kenya allowing them out with certain permits like game species. Game species, to me, sounds like trophy permit system. I think what you're thinking of sounds closer to what Hawaii does with the Ch. jacksonii xantholophus there. Hawaii allows people to remove a few specimens for personal use with a special permit. With Kenya, I was under the impression it had been completely illegal, for decades if I remember correctly, to export any live wildlife (game trophies different). My understanding is this is a new program Kenya has licensed, much like Tanzania, to export F1 farm bred chams. There is an article about it in Tanzania here: http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/may2003/farming/farming.html

Chris

Beefy chams...

I had the same thought as Will when I saw your photos. Those are some nice thick looking chameleons. Thanks for posting the photos, keep 'em coming.

Back
Top Bottom