Keeping the bottom of the cage dry

olivia

What is the most effective way to keep the bottom dry?

i use a humidifier to keep the cage wet along with using a dripper and mister to keep the plants wet.

but the bottom of my cage gets damp often..

i'll post some pictures soon.

:confused:

I had the same problem with my cage. The weight of the plant bent the pvc board at the bottom of my cage creating a puddle every time my mistking went off. All i did was drill about ten or so small holes so that water could go through, but small enough that feeders could not fit through.

Michael

What is the most effective way to keep the bottom dry?

i use a humidifier to keep the cage wet along with using a dripper and mister to keep the plants wet.

but the bottom of my cage gets damp often..

i'll post some pictures soon.

:confused:

You don't really need to keep the cage bottom DRY, as long as you clean it regularly. There are various ways to drain water. You can use paper towels, newspaper, cloth towels (such as plain cotton hand towels...switch them out, wash and re-use them). You can weigh down the center of the cage bottom with plant pots drill a drain hole, and put a bucket underneath to catch the water. You can tip the cage slightly so water runs to one side and sponge it up or drain it from there. You can place shallow plastic pans inside the cage and empty them. You can put the whole cage (without the solid bottom) over a plastic storage box.

Yeah, holes are the way to go.

If you don't get puddles I wouldn't worry about it.

I personally feel people don't mist enough, in general. Remember Chams can come from rainforest habitat. So frequent showers isn't abnormal for them. I prefer to mist a lot. My guys get 20 minutes after the lights have been on for 90 minutes. And get showers throughout the day.

The cage bottom should stay as dry as possible to avoid possible infections. Its also a breeding ground for bacteria in a constanly wet enviroment. As others above have stated if you have a screen cage just drill some holes in the base pan and then put a catch tray underneath. LLL sells drain pans that fit most of the standard sized screen cages.

The cage bottom should stay as dry as possible to avoid possible infections. Its also a breeding ground for bacteria in a constanly wet enviroment. As others above have stated if you have a screen cage just drill some holes in the base pan and then put a catch tray underneath. LLL sells drain pans that fit most of the standard sized screen cages.

I totally agree. The cage should dry out between the mistings and always at night before bed time. Never mist in the late afternoon.

I think what jann is saying is you dont want to mist heavily and have large puddles in the bottome of the cage, and a wet enviroment right at lights out. And the montanes can be misted at night and humidifiers run at night. A lot depends on the species your working with and your personal exp. But as a rule wet cages are a no-no at night. ;)

I use shop towels and Puppy Pee Pads for the bottom of my cage. I put a new shop towel down every other day. The cage seems to stay pretty clean, dry and odor free.

Just remember that evaporation still works even when the lights go out. A damp cage will dry out during the night, much like it will during the day.

Back
Top Bottom