keeping a schefflera

mons00n

I've had a schefflera for a few months now and it seems to be a bit cranky. I've read not to water them too often as well so I've cut back on that. Has anyone had a great deal of success keeping these as house plants? Mine unfortunately has no indirect exposure to sunlight so that could be part of the problem. Anyway the tips on many of the leaves start to brown and shrivel like so:
jkTyo.jpg

Don't mind Kepler, he hates the camera. Any tips on keeping this plant healthy? Thanks!

Ya actually I mist the chameleons cage (it's in there) more than 4 times a day. Its lighting is a reptisun 5.0. I usually bring the whole cage outside once a week, maybe twice for natural lighting... plus to help the plant soil dry up. Hope that helps

thats not the "typical" schefflera most people keep in their cages so Im not sure. That looks more like a small umbrella tree which is also a type of schefflera. Seems like when I water my scheffleras too much they drop leaves, mine are very finicky in my cages for some reason.

thats not the "typical" schefflera most people keep in their cages so Im not sure. That looks more like a small umbrella tree which is also a type of schefflera. Seems like when I water my scheffleras too much they drop leaves, mine are very finicky in my cages for some reason.

yea you may be right on the umbrella tree - it's very similar just the leaves are much larger. I mist ~6 times a day with my aquazamp, have reptisun 5.0 bulb, and a basking lamp. The plant gets outside once or twice a month when the cage needs major cleaning...but even then not for long; it's too damn hot out right now :(

When you re-potted the plant, did you add a little sand to the soil for better drainage? I've found that to be helpful in maintaining some of the finicky plants. I have no issue with Ficus, Pothos, etc. ....but the Schefflera seem hell bent on revoking my otherwise green thumb.

Looks like a schefflera abricola to me which is what is wha most on here use. I've had the same problems with mine but the leaves that are dieting are on the bottom. I am going to try to take mine outside as stated above whenever I can. Maybe a grow light is the solution ?

i put rocks at the bottom of my platers (and on top of the soil) and it seems to have helped. i have had a few plants already not look so good but since ive swapped them out and been al ittle more mindful and its been looking good.

fischers - your cham at that age should pretty much eat as much as it wants to. people have different opinions on the matter though.

Back
Top Bottom